Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Most elusive and difficult '80s tone....ever.

MaceFremonti

Is the goal an isolated studio track?

No but that is the actual studio track of the tone I am shooting for.

Tx for the suggestions. My track is just the Line 6 Distortion into the Soldano Clean.

Malhavok/BenVesco had an X3 patch that was pretty

close but it really does'nt translate to the 500.

If you really want this tone, BGelais has pretty much nailed it - and also Kill Em, And Justice, etc. using amp sims, impulse responses, chorus and limiter.

As far as getting that tone on the POD500, I've tried using similar settings and wasn't happy with the results. I'm sure someone better at tweaking could do it though.

James used a Marshall and a tube screamer for this one, and said they had a hard time in the studio trying to get a good sound - hence the chorus ,limiter and, gate.

His modded Marshall head from KillEm was stolen before RTL was recorded.

This is in my opinion the heaviest and best metal guitar sound ever recorded, I fell in love with RTL as a kid and still think it holds up to this day.

Funny James hated it and never used it again, using Mesa Boogies after this...

The problem with trying to go for that particular album is: 

It was so poorly mixed that what you hear is not what they played

That is one of the strangest comments I've ever read. :lol:

So what is it you hear then? Someone else playing? Or maybe they're really playing the BeeGees songs but the poor mixing makes it sound like Ride The Lightning.

Or...maybe it's not them playing at all, but instead random noises like birds chirping or frogs croaking poorly mixed to sound like Metal?

I have the isolated guitar tracks (which anyone can google to find them, also with the other instrument/vocal tracks to these songs as well) and guess what? - It sounds EXACTLY like what they are playing. Sounds just like a moderate gain amp boosted with a tube screamer and chorus and gate/limiter used in the mixing/mastering. James said what he used in interviews and Flemming Rasmussen released some studio notes and settings for some of their albums.

To each their own in tone and taste for music, but wow....

Hey Mace,

here's a link to the BG Metallica rigg pack and video for FL Studio. I've used it and matched isolated guitar tracks and it's almost perfect! He includes everything (including instructions) that you need to make it work - except FL Studio of course. Yeah he's corny, but he's the best I've seen to matching Metallica tones.

• Upvote 1

I think what he's trying to say is things like type of recording mics used, EQ, compression, and other effects may have substantially changed the tone of the guitar from what came out of the amp when it was played.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Joel. 

But, anyone that thinks I was referring to notes is most likely to far gone to understand what you said too. 

KISS had the same problem with the first few albums. The studio was just not capturing what was being played. Which is why their tone sucks and the albums didn't sell even though the live shows were being sold out nightly. 

I think what he's trying to say is things like type of recording mics used, EQ, compression, and other effects may have substantially changed the tone of the guitar from what came out of the amp when it was played.

irrelevant, he wasn't trying to replicate the live unmiked sound.. he was trying to replicate the RECORDED sound. As is anyone trying to go for certain "Artist" sound. Be it for covers or because they like the on record sound. Thats one of the whole points of the Pods... not only can you come up with your own sound, you can replicate for favorite guitarists tones... not their live  un processed tones (Since it is rare you can find them except live and even then a concert video will be processed for better tone), but the tones that are recorded and on record.

Well, after hours and hours of working with amp sims, IRS, and virtual pedals, I decided my POD sounds better and  "feels" better than a virtual rig. Had some OK results using IRs through the FX loop with the PODs amps but ultimately I ended up with just a tube screamer, 2 Sol Crunchs and the rest of the blocks filled up with EQs...way too much work!

Here are my current results, 2 guitar tracks 100%R and 100%L and then with a drum track.  Please pardon my sloppy playing!FTB100crunch.mp3

FTB100crunchdrums.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a little help from the community in capturing one of the '80s most elusive tones.....

I have scoured both Customtone and the web but have not been able to quite dial it in.

Here is the goal...attachicon.gifElusive tone.mp3

My progress so far...attachicon.gifMy best so far.mp3

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I think I am an 85% there..

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1052871/

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This is the closest I think I am going to get using just the 500X's EQs and compressors. Four guitar tracks, 100 Crunch, JCM2204, Variac Plexi, and a Recto/JCM800. Bass is an SVT/Cougar combination. Drums are an old school sampler  - Drumkit From Hell Superior. I ended up with them somewhat low in the mix as on the ORIGINAL RTL CD the drums are not as prominent as some of today's modern mixes.

Once I get the solos down clean I'll track the whole song.

(By then, Helix will probably be out and I'll have to track the whole song again!)

FTBBaseWork2.mp3