Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to turn off mic sim pod hd500x?

hiphopBB00

What are you connecting the HD500 to? If you select either of the Power Amp output modes, that will turn off the mic sim, well mostly. I believe they use a very flat reference mic for that mode.

What are you connecting the HD500 to? If you select either of the Power Amp output modes, that will turn off the mic sim, well mostly. I believe they use a very flat reference mic for that mode.

Thanks you for reply, i connect pod hd500x to my amp's return with combo power amp output modes. But i still hear mic sim affect my guitar tone... It's not sound good through amp like my pod x3 live

Thanks you for reply, i connect pod hd500x to my amp's return with combo power amp output modes. But i still hear mic sim affect my guitar tone... It's not sound good through amp like my pod x3 live

Well, the mic sims aren't active in those modes. You may hear a click when you select a different mic, but the mic sims themselves aren't affecting your tone. Also, you may want to try leaving the cab sim on - that really what those output modes are designed to compensate for.

And if you do select a cab and want the mic sims OFF, use one of the ribbon mics. Those have a very wide & flat frequency response and will be as close to OFF as you'll get. That being said, ANY cab model you pick will have way more effect on your sound than mic choices (not saying they're negligible, just that they have less variation mic-to-mic than the various cabs have).

Maybe i'm wrong but my guitar tone sound more muddy with sm57 off mic sim while 409 dynamic sound more mid range ( no cab )

Perhaps you could post a clip demoing both sounds so we could all listen and hear what you are describing.  Thanks.

Meambobbo has written a great guide on the POD and has an entire section dedicated to describing the difference in cab/mic behaviour depending on which output mode is chosen.  It can be found here: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#outputModes

• 11 months later...

Sorry to resurrect a yr old thread, but I've been trying to find a solution to my tone problem for live use. And this thread came up in my searches.

I've found the mic sims absolutely stay on even when switching to "power amp" output mode. You can scroll through the different mic models while playing live (cabs turned off) and hear the sound change. I hate this, as with my old X3 Live the mic and cab sims would automatically turn off when in power amp mode. I can not get to a totally satisfying tone when playing out through my ART SLA-1 and into my guitar cabs. There is a whoofiness I can't seem to get rid of no matter how much eq I apply. And why I went to an FRFR setup. Ultimately it's going to drive my off this product entirely, and on to another manufaturer's product. I'm on the wait list now!!!!

Bad design flaw Line 6. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect a yr old thread, but I've been trying to find a solution to my tone problem for live use. And this thread came up in my searches.

I've found the mic sims absolutely stay on even when switching to "power amp" output mode. You can scroll through the different mic models while playing live (cabs turned off) and hear the sound change. I hate this, as with my old X3 Live the mic and cab sims would automatically turn off when in power amp mode. I can not get to a totally satisfying tone when playing out through my ART SLA-1 and into my guitar cabs. There is a whoofiness I can't seem to get rid of no matter how much eq I apply. And why I went to an FRFR setup. Ultimately it's going to drive my off this product entirely, and on to another manufaturer's product. I'm on the wait list now!!!!

Bad design flaw Line 6. 

I agree with @benjamman ... I just picked up a HD500X because I loved my X3 Live and after I let it go a couple months ago I almost immediately regretted it. No other multi effects processor that I've tried could could hold a candle to it with regards to quality of reverbs, delays, environment simulations (cavern, room, etc.) and overdrives and a lot more. But, I'm getting off topic...

I also am using the "Combo Power Amp" setting into the return of the effects loop of my VHT Special 6 Ultra - just two cables, one from guitar to GUITAR IN on the HD500X and one from the Left Out/Mono to the RETURN. This way I'm effectively bypassing the preamp on the Special 6 and using the HD500X completely to control the tone and output of the combo amp. I can tell the power amp is not being simulated and I've turned the cab sim off, but I can definitely tell that the mic sims are still working in this mode. Especially because out of all of them, the SM57 Off-Axis sounds best to me. But... I don't want it at all because I'm using it live with a real cab, power amp and (sometimes) a real mic.

Anybody know how to definitively turn off cab and mic sims on the HD500X?

Here we go again...strap in folks! ;)

No cab = no mic. They are inextricably linked. It's not possible to separate the two. If it were, years of ridiculous threads lamenting the inability of modeling technology to accurately emulate an "amp in the room" tone would have been avoided.

I'll give it a try again but I was already aware of these threads and what you guys are saying before I last tried it... I sat there with the looper playing a riff and moved the mic settings around with no cab selected and I heard what I heard... I was also deliberate to consider the momentary break in sound when turning the dial between mics. But, I'll try again to be sure!

One of the main reasons this is a concern to me is that I'm still getting some super high tinny or fizzy sounds with the emulation off and I'm trying to keep my methods of removing this as logical as possible. That way when I go creating new patches I don't have to do 783 things to make it sound good all over again. I wanted to make sure the mic simulation wasn't contributing to these undesirable tones. My next thing to try will be tweaking the high and low cuts on the global EQ for my amp.

That's some good advice, I'll keep that in mind. However, I'm using the HD500X in pedalboard mode so I would rather save the available effect slot, I'm already running short (2 overdrives, a comp, a delay, reverb, tremolo, wah and one more I can't remember, maybe the amp counted as one). Plus I can adjust the global EQ on the fly just as easily. It seems like most of the Line 6 products produce an extreme high and extreme low tone that are outside of a natural amp's typical range, making the emulations sound digital. Having a starting point with the global might just be my ticket. But I was unaware of the MFEQ effect so thank you for that and taking the time to explain this stuff to me... I will give your method a try!

Technically incorrect actually... Models of cabs require no mics in order to create those models.. Models are created by modeling physical & electrical / electronic components. ergo mics are not required in the creation of those cab models.

However, If your basis of cab "models" is not a true functional model, but is a macro cab+mic representative block using IR as the foundation for the block, then its not really modeling in its pure sense... Even so, this approach can still be used, given that there exists a mic that can model a dozen other mics, as such a mic can clearly model "no mic" ;)

Regardless, why not simply allow other users to pursue the tone of an amp + cab, rather than an amp + cab + mic?.. it certainly does not affect your preferences, and certainly would help others

regards

Here we go again...strap in folks! ;)

No cab = no mic. They are inextricably linked. It's not possible to separate the two. If it were, years of ridiculous threads lamenting the inability of modeling technology to accurately emulate an "amp in the room" tone would have been avoided.

My Setup:

JTV89 [VDI]>> HD500[Line Out L/R]>> [Line IN L/R] Roland GA-212 (Master volume around 9 o'clock for home use)

My config:

—Output mode: Stack Power Amp (This mode doesn't include "bass boost") See http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#outputBass

—Global EQ: ON

Low Cut: 100Hz

High Cut: 7Khz (Try between 6-8 Khz, YMMV)

—Input 1 Source: Variax

—Input 2 Source: AUX (any unused)

—Guitar IN-Z: N/A. When using Variax VDI input.

—Inputs Setup: Global

—Mics: N/A. Disabled in any mode other than Studio/Direct.

—Amps: Full models (not Pres).

—CAB MODELS: ON. (When using any mode other than Studio/Direct, "Cab simulation" is the wrong name. By itself, it does not come close to the frequency response changes made by real guitar speakers - it is designed to supplement, not replace, a real guitar cabinet) http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#outputLiveCabs

—CAB Parameters: N/A. Disabled in any mode other than Studio/Direct.

—AMP BASS: Always lower than 50%. Usually between 25-40%.

You'll likely have to do a combination the amp model's presence and treble controls to fine-tune your high end.

—AMP TREBLE: Usually around 50% or less.

—AMP PRESENCE: It depends a lot of the amp choice. I.E: AC-30 near 0%, Fender Deluxe near 50%(+-10),  JC-120 (Very variable)

—AMP MASTER: About 75% or less.  (I'm not a high gain amps user. YMMV, but If you are, try starting with a very low value)

You'll have to do a combination the amp model's drive and Ch.Vol to fine-tune the desired amount of preamp distortion and the overall Volume.

DRIVE: at will

CH.VOL:  at will

Ed_Saxman thank you for all that info! That is going to be super helpful. I too have found that sometimes the stack power amp mode sounds better to me than combo even though I'm using a small 112 combo.

I'm going to check out all of these settings and work from there. Thanks again!

Also, I have some reading and experimen to do on just what Input Z and Q do and how to effectively use them. I think the high and low cuts are making sense to me now (where to "draw the line" and cut out whatever is higher or lower than it).

Technically incorrect actually... Models of cabs require no mics in order to create those models.. Models are created by modeling physical & electrical / electronic components. ergo mics are not required in the creation of those cab models.

How the models are created is irrelevant.

What matters is how THIS PARTICULAR DEVICE functions, and the options at our disposal...not some theoretical "what if?" scenario. The design is what it is. The guy wants to use cab sims without mic models. Can't be done with the POD. Period. If the cab sims are on, then so are the mic models. You can't use one and not the other. Would it be possible to create a device with that option? I suppose...but this ain't it, end of story. So technically, nothing I said is incorrect.

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2017 at 10:11 PM, cruisinon2 said:

How the models are created is irrelevant.

What matters is how THIS PARTICULAR DEVICE functions, and the options at our disposal...not some theoretical "what if?" scenario. The design is what it is. The guy wants to use cab sims without mic models. Can't be done with the POD. Period. If the cab sims are on, then so are the mic models. You can't use one and not the other. Would it be possible to create a device with that option? I suppose...but this ain't it, end of story. So technically, nothing I said is incorrect.

And at the risk of flogging a dead horse from over a year ago....

I really don't see any "What If" scenarios going on here and your simplification of the questions being asked is incorrect. I think we all understand that using a Cab Sim results in the mandatory choice of a Mic Sim. The question at hand is when no Cab Sim is desired why are we still forced to choose a Mic Sim, (And yes, it most certainly affects the sound cab or no cab).

9 hours ago, olds70ragtop said:

And at the risk of flogging a dead horse from over a year ago....

I really don't see any "What If" scenarios going on here and your simplification of the questions being asked is incorrect.

See whatever you like... and if you'd like to be right, then here ya go: You're right. I have no intention of being dragged into this ancient discussion any further. 

• 2 years later...

For anybody still following this thread  (or stumbling upon it later), I did finally achieve what I was going for, thanks to advice from @hurghanico. Here's what I did:

1. Changed output mode  to "Studio/Direct" (I know, doesn't make sense)
  2. Changed input z to 3.5m or 1m, depending on the guitar I use
  3. Turned Global EQ off
  4. 1/4" out mode set to "AMP"
  5. Master volume at full

This basically renewed the POD HD500X in my eyes... I  almost sold it. You can see his suggestions and explanations to me in this thread: 

Happy PODing to all of you!