Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

first impressions with my new Firehawk

oleus

Got my Firehawk last night.  Hooked it up to my JTV69.

Impressions:

1) with the Variax hooked up, the IOS app automatically set it to control my Variax models. and it looks like each tone has a preset Variax model if you have a Variax plugged in.   

2) I didn't notice any bluetooth dropouts but the iPad was very close to the unit.

3) I didn't notice any terrible lagging or weird noises going between tones.  It wasn't instant but the delay didn't seem like an issue to me.

4) I found the app interface slow and clunky.  I have an iPad 3rd generation with retina, but it's full of apps with very little space on it.  I wonder if I should get an iPad air for use exclusively for the Firehawk.  I was getting very frustrated trying to change Variax models with the app, and in general some of the edit sliders seemed very clunky.

5) I only got to explore some of the preset tones, they sounded fine, I look forward to seeing how much I can tweak these.

My time with it was very limited.  I was a frustrated HD500x user who was too much of a novice to fully grasp the experience and this seems much more up my alley.  

Got to playing around with this thing some more last night.

With some simple adjustments on the board knobs I was really able to open up the preset tones.  I even found some great user tones from the cloud (I'm a big Cure fan and quickly found a lot of tones based on them).

One thing I noticed - whenever I activated the tones I downloaded, the Firehawk locked into magnetic pickups on my Variax and I couldn't change it.  And even though the light on the modeling knob was off during these tones, i could switch guitar models and I was hearing the different guitars in the tone.

I think if you select your preferred guitar model using the knob on the guitar and then save the patch it will recall the guitar model instead of just defaulting to the mag pickups

I'll try that. Thanks.

The quality of the small sample of user tones I downloaded really impressed me.   As did the magnetic pickups on the JTV, which I really have never used much.