Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using POD as interface for other devices

barks62

Before I bought my POD HD500x, I was using my mixer as my recording interface, and that mixer could power my condenser mics.  After I bought the POD and installed the USB drivers, I started getting errors while I was recording, and it would cause my computer to reboot (and cause me to lose everything since my last save... which sucks!).  I was afraid that having the drivers for two different interfaces might be causing problems, so I removed the drivers for the mixer and I've been recording with the POD only.  That has worked fine so far, since I can run a dynamic mic through the POD, but tonight I want to use the condenser mic again, and I'm not sure about the best way to accomplish this.

I thought about setting up the mixer to power the mic, but taking the XLR out of the mixer into the mic input of the POD, then using the "Vintage Pre" setup that I use for all the other non-guitar instruments to get the signal into the PC.  But I'm worried that I'll lose some clarity doing it that way.  I don't want to use that mixer as the interface anymore just in case that driver was conflicting with the POD driver and causing my reboots.

I could also use the 1/4" out from the mixer into the POD, but I don't know that I'd be gaining anything there.

So my question is, what is the best way to get a clean signal through the POD and into the PC?

The mixer isn't powered, btw.  It's a low level signal and our PA speakers supply the watts for the final sound.

Method 1 and 2 is what I am doing, method 3 I haven't tried yet, maybe somebody else can confirm who did so?

1st way:

I own a tube mic preamp that can be connected over USB.

If I want the POD as an output device and the USB Mic as input device, I change the active drivers inside my DAW.

Usually I use the original POD ASIO driver, but otherwise I'm changing to ASIO4ALL driver, where I can handle several devices.

I don't think you have to deinstall drivers, just do not connect them over USB at the same time when using the original drivers, as long as they are the real reason for your crashes.

2nd way:

If you want to connect the POD as the only USB device, then you can use the AUX input as INPUT 1 for preamped line level mic sound coming from the tube mic preamp.

3rd way:

Go and get a phantom power box and connect with the POD MIC input or just use a condenser mic alone.