Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L3T: Distortion on sustained notes. ugh!

I have a L3T speaker and am running the following signal chain:

electric guitar-->G50-->POD HD500-->L6 Link-->L3T

I have experienced INTERMITTENT problems with held notes (such as hitting an open E or open A string and letting it ring out) beginning to distort as they decay. The distortion (on a previously clean note) begins after about 4 seconds and gets progressively nastier as the note fades out. The POD patches I am using are various amps, but even clean notes with HiWatt/deluxe or other non-distortion amp models exhibit this behavior (on an intermittent basis).  

I have swapped out cables, batteries, changed patches, built new patches from scratch using clean amp settings, plugged a bass and an electric guitar directly into the inputs....

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when or if the distortion shows up. Anyone have any experience with this or further thoughts. I opened a support ticket with Line6 and was told it could be the fan rattle that was a known issue but this is almost certainly not a rattle. It's a note distortion and it occurs at either low (conversational) or higher volumes.

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.

Try different setups to try to isolate the problem to a specific device or connection. For instance, it would be interesting to know whether this also happens with the HD500 analog outputs connected to the analog inputs on the rear panel of the L3t. In other words, is this a symptom of the L6 LINK connection itself, or is it something more general with the L3t or the HD500?

Is it a digital clipping kinda sound? The fan rattle is rather distinct...think "wind chimes in a Cuisine Art"...horrible sound. Volume of the rattle would vary on mine depending on what note I was playing, but all were on the low end...open A or below.

Thanks for the replies. It's not a "wind chimes in a Cuisine Art" sound :)

It's not digital clipping. The note starts out beautifully....clean and clear. As the note begins to decay over time, the distortion comes in and takes over. I have not experienced this using the same cable from the POD HD500 to my DT25 head via L6 Link.

I have plugged in guitar and bass directly into the side inputs on the L3T with similar but intermittent distortion. It's not an artifact of the Link, as best I can tell.

I just read that you plugged a bass/guitar directly in (answered my question).

One thing I've noticed with the POD, is when you crank your volume down really low and use amp models (such as the treadplate) trying to get that "clean" sound, there is still some static that I think exists just from the modeling.

Have you tried using different guitars with higher gain pickups? Higher gauge strings?

Are your inputs in the POD menu set to GUITAR/SAME for inputs 1 and 2?

I've gotten this kind of breakup if I'm using the pitch shift, at the end of a sustained note, the processor doesn't have enough signal to interpret what to do.

Hi. Thanks but I returned that speaker as defective and bought a new one. Thus far, no issues with the same setup running into the speaker.

This leads me to conclude that it was, in fact a problem with the L3T, not the rig itself.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI ... I had a similar problem with an L2t. I brought it in to my local service center and after a couple months, they claimed it was fixed, but it still had the same problem. Line 6 took care of it after it was shipped to their California service center and it works great now. The distortion was intermittent and happened from all combinations of inputs I could think of, including going through the M20d mixer.