Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the HD500x right for me?

Markeje

Hey guys,

Trying to figure out if 500x is the right thing to go with. 

My 1st priority is to use this sucker for my own practice only through Headphones. Maybe a small combo.

Next, I do plan to get back into playing live. In the past my rigs have been boogies and many pedals. 

This time around I was thinking that I could use a Mini Rec, 2x12 recto cab and use the 500x for effects only. Not looking to color the tone of the rec with the 500x. 

That being said. CAN YOU use the 500x to throw a something like TS9 in front of the mini rec and get good results?

Should I consider a different 25w head? I've read about some issues with the 500/500x and the rectos, resulting in some unpleasant hum. I always use a hush pro in my other set ups btw, but what I've read described, the hush pro would not be helpful.

Any input would be great. Thanks

Hard to answer… but here is my 2-cents.

Personally, I think the best sound when using a HD500X comes from a Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) rig. I was running my HD500X into my old Vetta II and it sounded OK. But once I went to a FRFR rig… the sound was SO much better. I’m not sure why Boogies in particular would have an issue with the HD500x… could just be “pilot error;†the HD500X does take some time to get right.

If you are going to use a HD500X with the Mini Rectifier, I would highly recommend the four-cable method as it would give you the most flexibility in using the FX.

Last thing to think about… If you are using headphones with the HD500X, the sound you hear isn’t going to be the same as when you are playing thru your rig. It may not be an issue for you, but just something to think about.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have thought about going FRFR as well. Only thing with that is that I would have to invest in a power amp to "test" it out. Actually, no I wouldn't I don't think. I'm sure I could barrow one of my buddies. Both have studios so I'm sure I could try one out with the 500x and a mesa cab.

Since I've always been a boogie player (rock,Metal) I'm partial to that tone. And with one of the guys already having a mini rec, I guess I could use his to test that out as well on a 2x12 and 4x12 Recto cab. Only I wouldn't have gobs a time to perfect it. Maybe a Saturday night and a 12 pack. 

I'm aware that the headphones sound will not be a even close to what I would hear through the mesa. 

Being that you can get 1 for $400 or less and can sell one for the same, it would't be a big money risk to try the 500x. I know it will great for my headphone practice thats about all I know for sure. 

I bought the POD to use as an effects processor with my Marshall DSL combo.  It works wonderfully.  I use the 4 cable method and I set up my patches to put certain effects in front of the amp and others in the amp's FX loop, which is awesome.  That was one of the major selling points of the POD for me.

However... with that being said, if I had it to do over again, I would have skipped the Marshall and just ran the POD direct into my FRFR monitor like cclement said.  I could never imagine living without my Marshall, but the amp models in the POD are amazing.  Yes, the POD requires a lot of time and attention at first to learn your way around, but once you get it where you want it, the sound can't be beat.

You'll need to invest time and attention to getting it set up correctly whether you're using the 4CM and a tube amp, or using the amp models into a PA or FRFR monitor.  There are so many options, you'll have to expect a learning curve.  But it's worth it.  I can't tell you how it'll sound with a specific amp, but it can do what you want, and do it very well.

• Upvote 1

Cool. I appreciate the input. As with all this stuff, I know it takes time to really figure out what will work best or work at all for each person.

I do like the editing software of the 500's. Seems like it wont be too difficult to use. I'm sure it will be more than fine for my personal practice.

I have thought about going FRFR as well. Only thing with that is that I would have to invest in a power amp to "test" it out. Actually, no I wouldn't I don't think. I'm sure I could barrow one of my buddies. Both have studios so I'm sure I could try one out with the 500x and a mesa cab.

FRFR has nothing to do with power amps...it's the frequency frange that the speakers in the cabinet are capable of producing that matters.  PA speakers (powered or otherwise) and various wedge monitors will work, and increasingly some more "guitar-amp looking" FRFR designs are starting to appear, but there isn't a power amp in existence that can turn your Mesa into an FRFR cabinet.

When I got mine, I bought a Yamaha powered PA speaker for my band to use as a stage monitor.  I'm seriously considering ditching the Marshall going direct into the PA, and if I can't get my stage volume right I'll just use that Yamaha PA as my personal monitor.  I'm telling you, the POD through a good PA speaker sounds amazing.

FRFR has nothing to do with power amps...it's the frequency frange that the speakers in the cabinet are capable of producing that matters.  PA speakers (powered or otherwise) and various wedge monitors will work, and increasingly some more "guitar-amp looking" FRFR designs are starting to appear, but there isn't a power amp in existence that can turn your Mesa into an FRFR cabinet.

Ya I realized that after posting. I'll just have to experiment and first really learn to use the 500x 1st. 

..the POD through a good PA speaker sounds amazing.

I run mine through a behringer mixer and two Squier PA speakers, definitely not the best out there (and probably far from it, but it still sounds amazing!

Consider this ---- 

1. Many venues are requiring a 'quiet stage'. So, reliance on an amp to make sound really limiting your availability. 

2. Why carry amps around if you don't have to. Have the sound man run you through the monitors.

3. Having one set system is always easier to work with than having one rig for home and one for gigs and one for big gigs. 

4. The 500x is versatile. So, you can go direct to the pa and at the same time use an amp as a personal stage monitor without it affecting the pa sound. 

The primary question for me, when I was buying my unit.... 

What did I want it for. 

I wanted a standalone device that replaced everything (or nearly everything). Which meant I needed to get the floor unit, and not the rack unit. 

No amps. No other fx. Just me, a couple guitars, my pod, and a utility bag. 

If you want it to include other stuff... do you need amp modelers? Do you need this many fx, or can you get by with less? Do you need an expression pedal, or can you use an outside Wah, therefore can use the rack version? 

These are questions that no one but you can answer. 

• Upvote 1