Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best way to adjust level between patches?

cordelero

I'm getting some great sounds from the Firehawk so far.  I'm trying to get some consistent levels from patch to patch and the only thing I can come up with is the using the master volume on the amp model, which affects the tone.  Am I missing something?  Also, I'd like to suggest a simple one-touch way to save a patch in place after you've made minor adjustments.  I think the Firehawk app is great, but I'm sure Line 6 will make improvements as time goes on.

Yes, the master level on the big knob is global.

Most amps have two volume related parameters called Volume and Master. The Volume controls amp channel volume (hence overall patch/preset volume) and does not affect tone. This is the one you should use to balance levels among presets.

The Master volume level does affect tone; you should not use it to level volumes.

You can also use the Vol pedal dynamically to adjust overall preset volume. You will need to experiment with this on different presets; I'm not sure if the current Vol pedal position is saved when the preset is saved and then restored to the saved setting regardless of the actual physical pedal position at the time of recall.

Speaking of volume levels, here is something to look out for when you are tweaking patches. When you are doing a tweak on the app, and want to save to hardware(FH), if you keep working on a patch and save to the same patch location on the Firehawk multiple times in the same session, you will notice a signifigant volume drop in the patch after every save (I did anyways). I was tweaking last night, trying to do the same thing you are Cordelero- normalizing all my patches to have a nice transition flow when switching, and this was happening. I thought I was losing my mind, as I would adjust a level, then save, and at the moment I saved, I had a volume drop. I found that a hard boot will bring the volume level back to where it actually should be.

• 5 months later...

Hello.

I have found that easiest way to adjust patch levels is to push the firehawk's volume knob twice so that led ring turns pink and then you can adjust patch level by turning the volume knob.

After making the adjustments remember to save settings by pressing patch footswitch about 2 seconds so the display starts blinking. Then pres footswitch again 2 seconds and your changes are saved.

• 3 months later...

Why exactly do the three volumes do? Red, white and pink? Are you folks saying that the red vol changes the tone of the preset? I was hoping I could level all 3 say at 9 o'clock then raise only the red on a gig if I needed more volume for all of my patches without effecting tone or drive. Am I wrong to assume this?

Jim

Red is the main output it raises and lowers the volume of all patches

White is the balance between guitar and mp3 audio playback through the app

Pink is the amp Volume and does not affect the tone , you should use this to level your patches

Amp master does affect tone so you shouldn't use that to set up volumes if you already like how your patch sounds

If you find clean tones aren't loud enough even on full volume you can give it a bit of a boost with the compressor which doesn't affect the tone too much

You will find that some amps and effects are louder than others so don't feel like you have to keep the pink volumes all the same

For example on my clean patch the pink volume is nearly at max

On my dirty patch the pink volume is only halfway up

But both patches are a similar volume when I play at rehearsal

Yes. I realized that too about certain patches and some are just louder or fuller despite that pink setting being equal. But that's ok. I want some patches to deliver more and will go to them for certain songs or solos. The red volume will vary depending on the room or venue. Thanks McB

Jim