Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I've just had a problem develop in one of my L2T speakers and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what might be the issue?

I've already logged a ticket with Line 6 and I believe I'm covered by a three year warranty, but was just interested to know if anyone has had a similar problem.

During the last two events where I've used my LT2 speakers with my M20d I've noticed one of the speakers displaying an intermittent problem: the sound output dropped, became distorted and cut in and out. I've been using the analogue outputs from the desk into the speakers and discounted any issues with earthing/levels from the RH output channel, in fact I took an output from the LH speaker and put it in the RH to check this. I had the luxury of being able to nip home and get my old MSR400 speakers and swapped the faulty L2T for one of these. The sound through the MSR was fine, so an XLR problem seems unlikely.

Is there anything in the internal circuitry that might need fixing? For example, a limiter circuit or something like that?

I'm extremely happy with the speakers and the desk on the whole.

During the last two events where I've used my LT2 speakers with my M20d I've noticed one of the speakers displaying an intermittent problem: the sound output dropped, became distorted and cut in and out. I've been using the analogue outputs from the desk into the speakers

Does it also exhibit that problem when you connect them with the Line6 link connection?

No, but that shouldn't matter. I don't use the Line 6 link. 

Yes, I agree! But it might help you diagnose the souce of the problem.. Comparing the behavior when linked as opposed to using analog should be a good starting point, even if just to confirm the problem is still there when linked. The link connection sends the audio to the speaker in a different pathway than when using the analog inputs.

In terms of tracking the trail of the analog to digital conversion, the signal is sent to the M20d, converted to digital, and then converted back to analog and sent back out - the M20d is fine since you tested with a different set of speakers.

That analog signal hits the speaker, in some way is probably converted again. Whereas, the L6link sends a pure digital signal - all A/D and D/A conversion being handled in the M20d, none in the speaker.

I hope you get it solved though, regardless! No fun when nice gear acts bad...

FWIW, I have a thread here and a ticket open on a L3T speaker that was exhibiting distortion on sustained notes. It was an intermittent problem. I was using L6 Link but it also appeared with plugging in direct to the input 1/2 with a regular cable. It wasn't (IMHO) a fan rattle or speaker issue, it sounded more like a circuit problem.

Ultimately, I decided to return the speaker to the seller and buy another one. I'll give that a try and see if I encounter the same issue. If so, I'll sadly be saying goodbye to the stagesouce gear and hello to ElectroVoice PA speakers or maybe the Alto Black series.

Good luck with your issue. Hope you get it sorted.