Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Microdot to V-35/V-30

Hi

I just bought a dpa 4066 used from Ebay. My plans are to use it with my V-30 transmitter. There are no adapters available for this purpose. As far as I can se the microdot Senneheiser mini jack adapter  has no passive components attached, but simply shortcut the sleeve and ring, and sends signal to the tip. My question is: If I buy the Sennheiser adapter how can I connect this to the 6.3 mm Jack for the V-30/35 receiver?

I guess this all depends upon whether any bias (phantom) voltage is available via your TBP06 (V30 transmitter)

I'm going to hazard a guess that it won't be able to provide the necessary DC Bias voltage required for the 4066 to function. The TBP12 DOES but I can't see any mention of bias voltage in the TBP06 docs that I've found. As such, you'd need an interim power box or change to the better transmitter.

DPA only list the V70 system as compatible via one of their convertors.

Thank you for answering.

The specs at dpa says: "...Power supply: For wireless systems: Min. 5 V – max. 50 V through DPA adapter. With DAD6001-BC/DAD6024/DAD4099: 48 V phantom power ±4 V for full performance......"

I am planning to use an equivalent to DAD6034 not listed in the specs. Isn`t it correct to assume that the listed adapters handles the high voltage so that the mic doesn't blow? The DAD6034 does not handle the higher voltage. The bias voltage delivered from TBP06's ring is 5 volts DC. If this is correct it means that the TBP06 is perfect match for the dpa 4066 with the DAD6034 adapter. The only question will then be how to wire this together? The DAD6034 adapter shortcuts the ring and sleeve to ground on the adapter and receive the signal at the tip.

Sorry, I understood the TBP06 to have a TS connector (1/4" unbalanced) input and not a TRS. However this excerpt from a PDF I just found appears to contradict that.

If the TBP06 is supplying a bias voltage at the ring, then you're part way there.

The next thing to check would be the expected load impedance (input impedance of the transmitter).

I run AKG C519's into my TBP12 and I had to modify the load impedance by placing a resistor into the connector for the AKG mics to work. Without the load impedance being set correctly, the output signal from the mic, whilst there, was extremely low.

You'll need to check the input impedance value for the sennheiser transmitter (that the selected adapter is designed for).

You'll need to discover the input impedance for the TBP06 (Don might know this but what I've found is 1.2MOhm)

You'll then finally need to know how to adjust any imbalance between the two values WITHOUT degrading the mic signal.

Contrary to what you might think, there is possibly an embedded passive component (resistor) inside the DPA convertor that matches the mic to the sennheiser transmitter. Simply buying an adapter with the correct in/out isn't necessarily enouh.

I did this for anyone wanting to use AKG micromics with their TBP12...

http://line6.com/support/topic/12359-akg-c519ml-mic-with-xd-v75-and-tbp12-beltpack/

Without taking input impedance into account, you'd connect the tip and ring together from the TBP06 onto the tip of the DPA connector/adapter.

BUT there is no guarantee you will get a sufficiently high signal from the mic. You're using a microdot to sennheiser adapter, designed to match the DPA mic to the input impedance of a sennheiser transmitter. There is no guarantee that the input impedances match

Your Line6 TBP06 has an input impedance of 1.2MOhm (though a TBP12 has an option to lower it to 20KOhm).

A sennheiser G3 transmitter (for which the DPA adapter is designed) has an input impedance of; 40KOhm or 1MOhm in unbalanced.

So, what I summise from the specs is that the DPA is designed for the 40KOhm impedance. You could try a simple convertor (3/8" TRS to 1/4" TRS) but if your signal is weak, you'll need to work out how to adjust the input impedance to make it match that of the TBP06.

First test then is to create the adapter and see whether you get any joy.

Hi again

I tested to wire as discussed without using an adapter and it sounded well. I recorded it and recorded also the hs30 headset that came with the v30 system. The signal was not as high from the dpa but the s/n ratio in my ears was no problem. I'm concidering to snatch the microdot and solder the jack directly to the dpa's cable.

Before you jump the gun and assume that there is nothing extra going off in the dpa adapter, get it checked to ensure there isn't an embedded resistor in there. I'd hate for you to rip the microdot connector off an expensive mic, solder on a straight 1/4" TRS jack and then find that it no longer works. I made that imistake early on... I assumed it was just wire going in to a connector, made up a new lead, went to rehearse and the bloomin thing didn't work... and that was the AKG supplied cable that had wierd things going off in it (pins 2&3 shorted and pin 1 shorted to the sleeve.

Run a multimeter across the in/outs of the dpa adapter and just check the connections have 0 ohms between the poles/pins.