Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"Music Library" on iPad

addimanseicher

Hi there,

does anyone know which of the iOS apps the iPad version uses as reference when it comes to show the content on the "Music Library" page?

On my android smartphone, amplifi remote seems to take over the library (including playlists!) from the standard music player which dad been preinstalled on the device. The audio files are stored on a micro sd card there.

As for my iPad i have not copied any music files to the ipad device so far. I hoped it would be possible to direct amplifi remote to an external drive or a cloud service like iCloud as a reference storage device for my audio files - and/or that AR could navigate through my home network and play files from my NAS (which, for me, would be the most simple and convenient solution,leaving out all that confusing cloud system)?

Thanks for all help to come!

The Amplifi app is looking at the library for the native Apple "Music" app. It's the app that you sync with iTunes. One thing to be aware of is that if you're using iTunes Match, you may see a lot of songs in your library in the Music app, but if those songs aren't actually downloaded onto your device, the Amplifi app won't be able to play them or do automatic tone matching with them.

What a pity... Being a loyal PC user for over 20 years, I'm quite new to the Apple world. Bought my first ipad a few weeks ago. I still find it hard to accept there is no card slot. :-)  

That means I have to download my music to the ipad physically so it is really (!) stored there? Are there any other apps apart from iTunes match that could transfer my audio files (mostly mp3s) from my PC or NAS to the iPad?

Tried FileExplorer (free version) and the access works flawlessly but only streaming is possible. No drag & drop / copying. Would the full version be able to do that?

If not, I'll have to live with that limitation. However, I've heard that one can stream audio from another app via bluetooth to the amplifi amp while still being able to edit, load and save tones in the AR app. I guess I'll choose this option as a workaround then. The only question is: Will auto tone detection work under these circumstances? Or is audio only analyzed by AR when it is played back in AR itself?

However, I've heard that one can stream audio from another app via bluetooth to the amplifi amp while still being able to edit, load and save tones in the AR app. I guess I'll choose this option as a workaround then. The only question is: Will auto tone detection work under these circumstances? Or is audio only analyzed by AR when it is played back in AR itself?

Yeah, you can stream audio from any app through the Amplifi. It's like any other BT speaker in that regard. It's just that if you're playing audio with another app, you don't have the automatuc tone matching capability in the Amplifi app. You can always manually search for any tone, though.

Thanks for all your answers, guys.

From a Mac user point of view I can understand what RealZap means. I'd love to go with iTunes - if they had made it just a little simpler... So, to be frank, my way of thinking was just the other way around - why should I bother with an (in my eyes) very complicated system like iTunes which I never really got to work as I wanted it to and which - as far as i know - can only handle audio files I have either bought in the iTunes store or which have been ripped by this program? I have so many more mp3s that have been generated by 3rd party stuff and they're not considered by iTunes as part of its library, and synchronization will not include them... ?

So I thought there must be a better way for me... and, yes, after googling for about 30 minutes I found a little helper app called "copytrans" (installed it on my PC with Win 7) which allows to copy mp3s from my HDD directly onto the iPad via usb (and even into the right folder, as far as i can see).

Did this, created a playlist on the ipad and... hooray, the Amplifi remote app recognizes songs, albums and playlists. And the auto tone detection seems to be working, too!
;)

Thanks for all your answers, guys.

From a Mac user point of view I can understand what RealZap means. I'd love to go with iTunes - if they had made it just a little simpler... So, to be frank, my way of thinking was just the other way around - why should I bother with an (in my eyes) very complicated system like iTunes which I never really got to work as I wanted it to and which - as far as i know - can only handle audio files I have either bought in the iTunes store or which have been ripped by this program? I have so many more mp3s that have been generated by 3rd party stuff and they're not considered by iTunes as part of its library, and synchronization will not include them... ?

So I thought there must be a better way for me... and, yes, after googling for about 30 minutes I found a little helper app called "copytrans" (installed it on my PC with Win 7) which allows to copy mp3s from my HDD directly onto the iPad via usb (and even into the right folder, as far as i can see).

Did this, created a playlist on the ipad and... hooray, the Amplifi remote app recognizes songs, albums and playlists. And the auto tone detection seems to be working, too!

;)

I'm glad you go it to work for you, but I've got to say, I've never had any issue with iTunes recognizing MP3s that I didn't buy or rip through iTunes. I have plenty of files from third party sources that are in my iTunes library, including ones that I've made myself. As long as the MP3 is tagged properly, iTunes will see it.

as phil said itunes will handle audio from any source...

in fact i pay for the itunes match... and it will instantly add alot of those tracks to the cloud from the itunes server....

so i get access to the apple ripped high quality downloads even if my original mp3's are in lesser quality.

itunes isn't the simplest... and it takes a little learning...

the trick is to learn it as is... instead of trying to make it work like you want it to...

i had to overcome that a bit too.... years ago....

now i pretty much run everything through itunes since i like the way it organizes my media...

the one great big huge thing to do with alternate sourced music files though... is to make sure that the tags are correct...

nothing worse than importing untagged messes into the library.... i use jaikoz to correct the tags in my library