Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Standard Dimensions

bloodychoir

Hi, I'm in Hobart, Tasmania and I really doubt I'm going to get a chance to try one of these out. I've been using a 59 for live shows for the last two years and while I love it I'd prefer something lighter and with a slimmer neck - a strat, obviously. I know there's a topic on the neck already but the only answer compares the Standard to the 69 which apparently has a weird chunky neck, so not very helpful. If anyone has managed to get hands on one of these things your impressions would be so helpful. I can't believe there are promo vids out there that focus entirely on the modelling (which is already documented millions of times over) and not the feel of the damn thing.

Many thanks

Hi from a former Hobartian - moo you bloody choir....

I bought a Variax 600 from McCanns about 5-6 years back - they were getting out of Line 6 dealership at that point. I believe Modern Musician are able to get Line 6 stuff in - go and give them some advice about the benefits of having the Variax Standard on their display wall.

I believe the Standard is going to be the most Strat-like of any of the Variaxes. The 600 was pretty close, though the headstock was a bit different of course, and pick-guard also. The tremelo failed after a few years (some people love em, but the metal in these two post systems is not good), and I never really loved the neck either. But I had my 1971 Strat to compare it to, so maybe that's not really fair on the Variax 600 neck, which I worked on, to get it closer to the Strat feel-wise.

My preferred option as a Strat-fiend, was to transplant the guts of the 600 (and also a 300 I bought 2nd hand) into Strat clones (1 maple fretboard, 1 rosewood), painted them both Fiesta Red, reliced them, and hey presto. A bit of work, but I got just what I wanted. Obviously no JTV features, but I control the Vaxplant from my Pod HD500 anyway, and have all my alternate tunings etc accessible that way.

Just planting seeds here....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm in Hobart, Tasmania and I really doubt I'm going to get a chance to try one of these out. I've been using a 59 for live shows for the last two years and while I love it I'd prefer something lighter and with a slimmer neck - a strat, obviously. I know there's a topic on the neck already but the only answer compares the Standard to the 69 which apparently has a weird chunky neck, so not very helpful. If anyone has managed to get hands on one of these things your impressions would be so helpful. I can't believe there are promo vids out there that focus entirely on the modelling (which is already documented millions of times over) and not the feel of the damn thing.

Many thanks

Hi bloodychoir - I've had a variax 300 sinse 06, the best guitar i ever had, flat neck and really playable. Actually, I sold my old Fender 70 telecaster to get afford to buy it, and never regret it... so far so good, a couple of years ago I began having problems with the piezo, low vol, drop outs, thought I could fix it with workbench... but nobe - Two of the piezo was more or less no connection and almost broken by the soldering and my local instrumentpusher had a blank look in his eyes when I mentioned the word piezo, so no help there. I looked around to find out how much it cost, but all too expensive whit shipping and all that... I took a decision and bought me a JTV 69. (have also seen tons of videos) but mann!.. I was really disapointet, not over the functionality and the sounds and it's a beauty, but the neck is alll to small for me and i constantly slipped the high e out of the fret. So I can only recommend the body.

To get a long story even longer read what I've done to the problem in this thread.

Thanks for both replies. I'm not interested in any workarounds, just a review of the Standard that isn't restricted to the Variax guts, which have been reviewed a million times. It's an instrument and I'd love to know how it feels and plays. The 69 was kind of appealing though I don't like the look much and I read a lot about that high E slippage, sounded like a fraught purchase. I like the 59 but as I said, too heavy and the neck is too Les Paul for my tastes. I've contacted a couple of distributors and they talk like they have it in stock but clam up when I ask about the specs and how soon they can ship. It's a very weird rollout folks.

Thanks for both replies. I'm not interested in any workarounds, just a review of the Standard that isn't restricted to the Variax guts, which have been reviewed a million times. It's an instrument and I'd love to know how it feels and plays. The 69 was kind of appealing though I don't like the look much and I read a lot about that high E slippage, sounded like a fraught purchase. I like the 59 but as I said, too heavy and the neck is too Les Paul for my tastes. I've contacted a couple of distributors and they talk like they have it in stock but clam up when I ask about the specs and how soon they can ship. It's a very weird rollout folks.

See my comments here http://line6.com/support/topic/13832-variax-standard-initial-thoughts/ - the neck is slightly narrower than my strat with similar string spacing so less fretboard at the edges but no string slippage issues for me so far - I mention in my post it has a very flat fretboard.

Comfort wise - it is lighter than my Fender strat - haven't measured scientifically but quite a bit lighter from feel.  The neck is not as comfortable as I am used to although hard to say why - possibly because it is narrower I think I am having more of my hand come around the top than normal.  Great if you use your thumb on the bass strings a lot but just takes a bit of adjustment I think. Generally though it feels good and plays well - my issues are mainly with the modelled sounds - as a basic electric guitar it is actually better than I expected. 

See my comments here http://line6.com/support/topic/13832-variax-standard-initial-thoughts/ - the neck is slightly narrower than my strat with similar string spacing so less fretboard at the edges but no string slippage issues for me so far - I mention in my post it has a very flat fretboard.

Comfort wise - it is lighter than my Fender strat - haven't measured scientifically but quite a bit lighter from feel.  The neck is not as comfortable as I am used to although hard to say why - possibly because it is narrower I think I am having more of my hand come around the top than normal.  Great if you use your thumb on the bass strings a lot but just takes a bit of adjustment I think. Generally though it feels good and plays well - my issues are mainly with the modelled sounds - as a basic electric guitar it is actually better than I expected.

Fantastic Elwyn, really appreciate it. It sounds like what I'm after, not expecting the best axe in the world but good quality and playability. I've had the 59 for a couple of years now and despite my issues its been a warrior. I hear you on the acoustic models, I was vainly hoping I could get away with not lugging a real one along, but apart from the odd solo gig it just doesn't feel or sound right. That said, great effort Line 6, if ever there was an uphill battle! I'm also not a fan of the Spank sounds, could be the models they chose, so I end up using Workbench to craft something out of the Les Paul and Ricky banks which have genuine character and life. Above all else it's the tuning capability that won me over, I've gone from 7 guitars to 2 on the road which is simply enormous. Hope you enjoy the guitar and start to get a bit more out of it, thanks again.