Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AC30 TB vs Fawn

Indianrock2020

I'm finding the volume level on the TB, everything else equal, to be quite a bit more than the new Fawn models.  So much so that to keep similar volumes when switching from a TB patch to a Fawn patch I had to put a boost or compressor with level control up front to keep signal to the PA close.

Is that expected?  Other than that both of the Fawn models seemed to have less high frequency than the TB.  Out of the box the Fawn models needed some tweaking ( treble/presence/EQ ) to avoid being buried in the mix.

Use the mixer in your Fawn patch.Turn it up to 2.5 or so but not high enough to cause clipping.I personally really like the Fawn and I am not a Vox guy at all.Also put a mid focus eq at the end of the effect chain and tweak it. After messing with it a while I got my Fawn to roar like a lion!

• Upvote 1

Someone asked about EQ placement. Think about your HD as you would signal flow in the studio. EQ is added at the board, usually immediately after the mic signal passes through the preamp. Then fx such as verbs and delay are added.

Of course you can vary this if it works for you, for instance, EQing the the guitar signal itself before the amp.

Someone asked about EQ placement. Think about your HD as you would signal flow in the studio. EQ is added at the board, usually immediately after the mic signal passes through the preamp. Then fx such as verbs and delay are added.

Of course you can vary this if it works for you, for instance, EQing the the guitar signal itself before the amp.

It's a different way of eq'ing. If you apply EQ before the amp, it's like one would use an EQ pedal. It affects how the guitar interacts with the amp, it may make the amp distort in a certain way. Cutting bass before the amp can give you a smoother distortion. Also, boosting extreme highs before an amp is nonefficient, as the guitar speaker (modeling) cuts most frequencies after 6khz or so. With post-amp eq, you could boost those high frequencies, making a sort of supernatural guitar sound. Pre-amp eq will always be less brutal, as the amp and speaker will put the final stamp on the sound. At the same time, resonant bumps can occur and you may want to smooth them out with eq after the amp. There's no rules, just follow your ears, use what sounds the best. 

• Upvote 1