Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 with JTV69 problem after update

line-6-user

Two days ago I did update the flash memory of the above mentioned products, to the latest releases.

Now my HD500 frezes on start up if the JTV69 is already connected to it, I use the supplied digital cable.

The only way it all work is if I first start the HD500 and then connect the JTV69... This is a real pain!

Tried to reinstall several times but to no avail. Monkey shows that everything is OK and with the latest software. Have any of you experienced the same problem/bug?

Is there a way to revert back to the previous flash memory?

Thanks in advance.

I think I have seen a thread or two where users have reported similar issues with an HD connected to a JTV - worked fine before but now causes problems after fw update. I have not seen any resolutions though - only work arounds - such as powering up without JTV connected.

I suggest you open a support ticket with Line 6 and they will help you trouble shoot it - and hopefully provide a fix.

Meanwhile, you can roll back firmware for both JTV and HD500 by using Monkey.  Just connect the unit to the PC, and start Monkey , it will detect your unit and tell you whether software is up to date and on the right hand side of the window should be a button labelled ROLL BACK - click on that and it will let you select a previous fw level to roll your unit back to.

Good luck - hope you get it resolved.

• Upvote 1

I think I have seen a thread or two where users have reported similar issues with an HD connected to a JTV - worked fine before but now causes problems after fw update. I have not seen any resolutions though - only work arounds - such as powering up without JTV connected.

I suggest you open a support ticket with Line 6 and they will help you trouble shoot it - and hopefully provide a fix.

Meanwhile, you can roll back firmware for both JTV and HD500 by using Monkey.  Just connect the unit to the PC, and start Monkey , it will detect your unit and tell you whether software is up to date and on the right hand side of the window should be a button labelled ROLL BACK - click on that and it will let you select a previous fw level to roll your unit back to.

Good luck - hope you get it resolved.

Thanks for the reply.  I will try the rollback and submit a ticket.

• Upvote 1

think this was reported due 2 bad vdi cable....

anyway, if u rollback, pls keep us posted if hd500 flash 2.32 works ok with usb firmware 1.04 (which u cannot rollback).

The problem occurred immediately after the upgrade, the VDI cable was plugged in the HD during the update.  I know that the cable is OK.

I don't have this problem with my HD500 and JTV69, so it is not a problem everywhere, but.. when I upgrade the HD firmware I always unplug all connections except power and USB from the HD500; you might try it - it is just possible that the extra current draw of the JTV causes a bad write to the firmware flash memory, and other people on earlier upgrades had reported problems with other inputs or outputs connected.

• Upvote 1

I don't have this problem with my HD500 and JTV69, so it is not a problem everywhere, but.. when I upgrade the HD firmware I always unplug all connections except power and USB from the HD500; you might try it - it is just possible that the extra current draw of the JTV causes a bad write to the firmware flash memory, and other people on earlier upgrades had reported problems with other inputs or outputs connected.

The extra connection may be the problem for a bad write up... I guess.

I have now done several re-installations, reverted both the HD and JTV to earlier firmware.  The USB firmware could not roll back.

I now notice that the HD will restart itself (with the JTV plugged in) after 10 seconds, then works fine.  

Also, upgraded only the JTV to 2.21 and the HD rolled back to 2.32 and with the JTV connect to the HD, with the VDI cable, after start up, when I press the ABCD switches, nothing will happen until after 5 seconds, then the LED will switch accordingly, everything goes back to normal.  :unsure:

From the original post: "Now my HD500 frezes on start up if the JTV69 is already connected to it, I use the supplied digital cable." -- this has been seen several times. When they say "I used the VDI cable that came with the JTV" -- they mean the short cord for the USB interface -- does not have the rugged case on both ends. This has given problems in one recent case on the forum.

Just a heads up.

Dave

Just discovered yet another hiccup...

Setup:

HD500 connected to my laptop with the USB, JTV69 connected to the HD500 with VDI cable supplied with the guitar, left 1/4" out to Spider Jam amp. Laptop powered with DC adaptor.

Having problems with groundloop, so I decided to pull the adaptor from the laptop, hence running it with the built in batteries. On pulling the jack off, the groundloop noise stopped (as predicted) but the HD 500 froze... I did not expect this as I have disconnected the power supply off the laptop many times, before the firmware update, and the HD never froze before.

Can the freezing problem be associated to some bad coding effecting the -ve Ground connection? Maybe someone that has the same problem I am having could replicate the setup and let us know the outcome?

I too am suffering with this problem.

However I may have taken it a stage further.

1) This occurred for me on the prior release when using the JTV69s

2) It did NOT occur either on the prior release nor on the current release when using the JTV59

3) I think this negates the cable question (tried it on two anyway)

4) I only purchased the JTV69s when I was using the previous release, so I don't know how far back in releases this problem goes.

5) I have NEVER had any problems with the JTV59

6) As stated, I have to disconnect the JTV69s prior to switching the HD500 on. (Tried disconnecting MIDI, Loop, and DT25 connections - made no difference)

This is either a software problem in the JTV69 model or a hardware problem in same model.

The only issue I have had with the new firmware was one time the tuner wasn't working right and the only thing that fixed it was to unplug the VDI and then plug it back in. No amount of power cycling the pod would fix the tuner.

-Max

"I use the supplied digital cable"--- how long is this cable you are using?

When you connect to Monkey, are you trying to do an update? If so, are

you trying to update the JTV or the HD500?

The cable is 3 metre long.

Yes, I have done the update, first to the HD500 and then the JTV69. The VDI cable was in both cases connectd to the HD and the JTV.

Yes, I definitely did back up all,BUT... I had a bit of a problem finding the files on uploading them to the HD500.

The problem was due to the file extencion, the "Open File" dialogue was looking for the HD500x format. Once I changed to look for all files, they showed up, they were I saved them. Phew!

OK, I have verified that this is an easily repeatable problem with the new firmware. On My HD500 with the new firmware and a JTV59 and JTV69 with two different VDI cables (not the cables for the USB dongle but the real VDI cable for performance).

All you need to do to make the POD completely unusable is to power up the HD500 while the JTV is connected. After power up The foot switches do nothing and the POD is in a bad state. The only way to fix this issue is to power off the POD disconnect the JTV and power up the POD and then connect the JTV after the POD has finished powering up.

I will be submitting a ticket as I feel this is a serious defect in the new firmware that needs to be resolved.

-Max

There is a short VDI for doing updates only with the Interface widget

that comes with the JTV, (one side with shroud casing, the other not).

It's not for using as a VDI for the HD500 for playing thru.

The longer VDI cable is for playing thru (shroud casing on both ends). .

Updating the HD500 with the JTV plugged in may not being a good idea,

update the HD500 and JTV separately.

If you are trying to update the JTV to Flash v2.00 or higher, do not use

the HD500 as an interface for JTV updates, use the JTV Interface widget.

As soon as I get home to get the serial number and other info I will submit a service ticket. I have verified that there is a real easily duplicated issue with this new firmware when powering up the HD500 with a JTV connected via VDI. If you power up without the JTV connected there will be no problem.

-Max

OK, I have verified that this is an easily repeatable problem with the new firmware. On My HD500 with the new firmware and a JTV59 and JTV69 with two different VDI cables (not the cables for the USB dongle but the real VDI cable for performance).

All you need to do to make the POD completely unusable is to power up the HD500 while the JTV is connected. After power up The foot switches do nothing and the POD is in a bad state. The only way to fix this issue is to power off the POD disconnect the JTV and power up the POD and then connect the JTV after the POD has finished powering up.

• this in not happening 2 me (jtv69s+hd500, both running under latest fw).
  • i always have the jtv connected 2 the hd500 via the vdi cable (battery removed) when powering-on the system.
  • i always reflash the jtv thru vdi+hd500 and NOT by using the dongle.
  • no problems either.

max,

i'm reporting the abv in order 2 help u debug the symptom :)

• Upvote 1

I updated my JTV to post v2.x levels using the HD500 as an interface via a Win 7 pc and did not have an issue.  Do I need to go back and reflash using the interface widget? Or am I ok if I did not encounter any obvious errors?  Thanks.

• this in not happening 2 me (jtv69s+hd500, both running under latest fw).
  • i always have the jtv connected 2 the hd500 via the vdi cable (battery removed) when powering-on the system.
  • i always reflash the jtv thru vdi+hd500 and NOT by using the dongle.
  • no problems either.

max,

i'm reporting the abv in order 2 help u debug the symptom :)

I can report that like jandrio I don't have the issue either with JTV59+HD500 both running latest firmware.     Hope the info helps.   :)

I used the dongle to update both of my JTV guitars.

Both JTV guitars have the battery installed.

Both JTV guitars were connected to the HD500 via the VDI cable made for performance (not the cheap cable that comes with the dongle.

I have the HD500 and not the HD500X.

I tried a JTV 59 and a JTV69 both with different VDI cables.

I have not changed the way I have anything connected and I did not have this problem with the older firmware versions. I will submit a support ticket tonight when I have the serial number handy.

-Max

I used the dongle to update both of my JTV guitars.

Both JTV guitars have the battery installed.

Both JTV guitars were connected to the HD500 via the VDI cable made for performance (not the cheap cable that comes with the dongle.

I have the HD500 and not the HD500X.

I tried a JTV 59 and a JTV69 both with different VDI cables.

I have not changed the way I have anything connected and I did not have this problem with the older firmware versions. I will submit a support ticket tonight when I have the serial number handy.

-Max

Have you tried the scenario with a JTV that does not have the battery inserted?   I don't leave the battery in mine.   It should make no difference but stranger things have happened and I think it's worth a test just to check it off the list.    :)

The fact that you and the OP can recreate the problem will hopefully help Line 6 work out what is causing it.    Good luck.

There is a short VDI for doing updates only with the Interface widget

that comes with the JTV, (one side with shroud casing, the other not).

It's not for using as a VDI for the HD500 for playing thru.

The longer VDI cable is for playing thru (shroud casing on both ends). .

"...The longer VDI cable is for playing thru (shroud casing on both ends). . ..." ??? You lost me here.

"...If you are trying to update the JTV to Flash v2.00 or higher, do not use

the HD500 as an interface for JTV updates, use the JTV Interface widget. ..." A simple WARNING message during the updates would safeguard this.

All I need now is to resolve the problem. How can I do this?

Thanks.

I will try removing the battery from the Variax, it is the only variable that is different on my system. It isn't a show stopper but is very annoying from a usability standpoint (I test software for a living).

-Max

I have both the 500 & 500X, plus the 69S & 59. I have no current problems with the latest FW on all units that I have run into. I start mine up with the JTV's attached. My 69S was purchased 2nd, about 2 years after the 59, and I did not have the 500X at that point, either.

Early on with the 69S, when I first would start the 500 with the 69S attached via the VDI cable & input, the pod would start up, then in a few seconds, reboot. It did not do that with the 59 attached at startup. I was quite concerned at first, but did not find others on the forums at that time that had it happen, but after the reboot it would be fine, and I got to trust it would do that, then be fine from then on -- played many gigs with it.

I don't remember what FW combos were in the 69S, 59, and 500 at this point, but in a few FW revisions later (again don't remember which) the behavior stopped. Haven't had it since, and not with the latest FW revisions, either. I got the 500X as a redundant backup -- now the 500 is my backup. I've said before that I'm an engineer, and think about contingencies, so when I could see my way clear to get a second unit, the 500X was the current model. I had been burned once at a gig with a power jack failure on my XTL, so always keep my old unit as a backup to my current one. I was dead in the water, and did not want that again....

I have since had un-explained reboots, but very rare, so don't know if I had some connector -- VDI or power with a less than solid connection at the time, but again I'd go through the rest of the gig with no repeat of it. At one point I thought it might be related to using the tuner, as it happened after tuning up, but again it did not repeat. That was before the latest FW revisions, BTW. Never really saw a pattern emerge for cause and effect.

OK -- like just now, I posted, but could tell it wasn't taking the post -- I copied the text and just pasted it in on a second try -- so why did that happen? The randomness of a lot of things...

Dave

Line-6-user,... the longer cable is a 25ft VDI, has the XLR like casing on both ends of the cable,

and as far as I know come separately as an accessory. This is the cable used for playing through

when using the floor effects (XT, X3 and HD series). 

"... the HD500 as an interface for JTV updates, use the JTV Interface widget. ..." A simple WARNING

message during the updates would safeguard this"----  

When updating, there is usually a message that comes up to unplug other USB devices. That way,

the device being updated can be isolated for update without data crosstalk from other devices.

Recap--- Update the JTV separately using the USB interface widget that came with the JTV. Use the

25ft VDI cable (with the XLR shroud casings on both ends) for playing the instrument through the HD500.

Do not use the shorter cable, it's for using with the USB interface for updating the JTV.

Also, check the Knowledge Base section, looks like some good tutorials in there on HD500's.

Line-6-user,... the longer cable is a 25ft VDI, has the XLR like casing on both ends of the cable,

and as far as I know come separately as an accessory. This is the cable used for playing through

"... the HD500 as an interface for JTV updates, use the JTV Interface widget. ..." A simple WARNING

When updating, there is usually a message that comes up to unplug other USB devices. That way,

the device being updated can be isolated for update without data crosstalk from other devices.

Recap--- Update the JTV separately using the USB interface widget that came with the JTV. Use the

25ft VDI cable (with the XLR shroud casings on both ends) for playing the instrument through the HD500.

Do not use the shorter cable, it's for using with the USB interface for updating the JTV.

Also, check the Knowledge Base section, looks like some good tutorials in there on HD500's.

The warning notice I was referring was meant for notifying users not to update the JTV through the HD500... No mention of this while updating firmware. I do not see the JTV being a USB device, while it is connected to the HD via the VDI cable. The only USB connected to my computer was the HD500... As the WB HD can now be accessed/used while the JTV is connected tho the HD500, I had assumed that the same connection was OK for updating the firmware. How am I supposed to know this? Anyway, I ordered a new VDI cable with the metal casing at both ends. I will use this now for playing, and will try to downgrade and upgrade the JTV once again, using the supplied, shorter VDI lead, connected to the JTV hub interface. I will let you know if it changes anything.

I have upgraded the firmware of the above products many times without problems and can't believe this has happened to me...

I have always updated my Variaxes (300, JTV-59, JTV-69S) via the XTL, X3L, HD500, and HD500X VDI interfaces and 25' VDI cable -- beginning in 2005 with the 300 & XTL, and have not ever had an issue with the ability to get a good Variax FW update with the combination.

I have never used the USB interface for FW updates, and only used that a few times when working with HD Work Bench, before they finally got it going with the 500(X) & JTV's in the last year. Thank goodness for that -- tweaking guitar sounds monitoring it thru the 1/4" input, when you don't use it that way was very difficult and time consuming, because the 2 inputs do sound different with the JTV...

To me, the VDI route is much more secure and reliable than the USB interface -- the connectors at both ends of the regular VDI cable are much more robust than the 3 foot cable - one end VDI connector (ruggedized Ethernet) the other end plain Ethernet, you don't have to have a charged up battery in the guitar and a 1/4" jack in the guitar, and make sure the volume is up, so the guitar doesn't go into "sleep mode" -- too many variables have to be just right for that to work -- too many potential pitfalls... Even when you couldn't use VDI and HD WB, you could STILL update the JTV firmware via the VDI connection of the 500(X). Never saw that "warning" before this...

I have had FW updates not "take" on the first try. I disconnected ANYTHING but the VDI cable to the JTV and USB cable to the PC when that happened and retried the flash with success. I also disconnect ANYTHING but the USB to the PC when updating the POD's. I want all the device's attention in these operations. This is the most vulnerable time for them, with their pants down around their ankles.... The first thing is DON"T PANIC.

Dave

Hi Dave, I am not panicking, just frustrated.

I have been using computers, repaired them, upgraded drivers and firmware since 1983 and I regard myself experienced. The HD and the JTV are working, not perfect but usable.

There could be some procedures that could be coded in the software avoiding silly missaups, like the fact that the installation software knows that the HD is connected via USB, and that the JTV also connected through it. Make the software scan the computer for other hardware and software that can conflict with the installation and Just stop the JTV from upgrading the firmware UNTILL the JTV is connected through the supplied USB hub. Simple. :)

I can say that I have not had problems updating my JTV59 or JTV69 while connected with VDI to HD500 - and it seems to be more convenient and a much faster process when using the HD500 as an interface compared to the JTV supplied USB interface widget. 

Since they got WB HD working via the HD500, my JTV USB interface widget has remained packed away in a box somewhere.