Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

WHAT'S MISSING Show us your set up.

bjnette

I come here often checking out topics and help if I can.

I am a keen at least three times per week user of my HD500.and in betweens like to join others users and share  and have often felt something was missing and it has only just dawned on me what it is that's missing.

Credibility, endorcements and testimonials.

On some gear forums the PODs are frowned upon nowadays. Not sure what products lost em the lead but I didn't like my Spider II  after getting it for a song.

With the first POD, there wasn't anything like it and it quickly caught on especially in recording radio ads but found its way onto records as well.

Fractal's AXE stole that thunder and now Kemper pretty well have it as the Pros Studio choice.

Add Software Sims etc and there is little in regard to proud Pro user of the POD HDs.

Anyway I'd like to see a sticky of any well known Artist using their POD HDs but I fear there may be too few.

Not to take anything away from those out there working in the industry using their POD HDs.

Lets see you in action!

Cheers

Comparing the POD to an AXE or Kemper is missing the point. You're probably absolutely right about the list of well known artists using PODs being woefully short, but they probably had their AXEs and Kempers bought for them by their record companies. I suspect even the most die-hard Line 6 fan would trade their POD for an AXE if they were the same price (well maybe some wouldn't). The POD is all about bang for buck and for the weekend rockstar, which probably makes up 90% of forums the POD HD can't be beaten.....all IMO of course!

...but for the record, Vernon Reid from living colour uses an M9, see 5:45

Cheers

I am a keen at least three times per week user of my HD500.and in betweens like to join others users and share  and have often felt something was missing and it has only just dawned on me what it is that's missing.

On some gear forums the PODs are frowned upon nowadays. Not sure what products lost em the lead but I didn't like my Spider II  after getting it for a song.

With the first POD, there wasn't anything like it and it quickly caught on especially in recording radio ads but found its way onto records as well.

Fractal's AXE stole that thunder and now Kemper pretty well have it as the Pros Studio choice.

Add Software Sims etc and there is little in regard to proud Pro user of the POD HDs.

Anyway I'd like to see a sticky of any well known Artist using their POD HDs but I fear there may be too few.

Not to take anything away from those out there working in the industry using their POD HDs.

Lets see you in action!

Cheers

You have to keep in mind, that most of the well known AXE users use it becaus they get it for free as an endorsement.

This is also something, that blows the price of the unit - because companies have to calculate alle the spents for endorsement, publicity and so on.

Especially all those gear viedeos on Youtube - most of them tell you something is good because they get paid for.

You have to keep in mind, that most of the well known AXE users use it becaus they get it for free as an endorsement.

This is also something, that blows the price of the unit - because companies have to calculate alle the spents for endorsement, publicity and so on.

Especially all those gear viedeos on Youtube - most of them tell you something is good because they get paid for.

If you do a search on tgp forums, I remember reading a post where Cliff said he doesn't engage in this sort of activity. Whether you believe that or not is another matter.

I use my HD500 for cover band gigging because it works better for me and is more cost effective than the Axe-FX.I could buy one if I wanted too but it would have to make sense. The one player in my town who had one for quite a while and can actually play finally sold his ( and sold me one of his two Atomic Reactor wedges).He then bought a brand new 335 and a Fender Super Sonic.Quite a radical change lol! Most big league high profile players do not use the Axe.They use individual pedals and specific amps. The guys on The Gear Page/Fractal Forum would disagree with that I know. PODs/Boss GT series/Zoom etc.. all have some usefullness depending on what you are doing. I have heard the Axe-Fx many times in person while different players played it. I never heard anything that would make me want to make the leap.The last album I worked on(Follys Pool-Out Of ADream) I used an Egnater and a couple other amps and a good old Line 6 M13. Using modelers was discouraged on that project by the producer but I still got the M13 in there!

Having said all that I am starting to Jones for an Amplifier Studio Devil.Fractal has some real competition from them.

But until I get one my HD500 works good/sounds great and more than gets the job done.I have a lot of high paying jobs coming up over the summer and it will be a real money maker for me.

One well-known band using a well-known product from a well-known company (that claims to never give away free products) actually received multiple free products as well as a non-insignificant influx of tour support money from said company.

The number of major-label albums that have been recorded with POD or POD/Amp Farm products is astronomical. It's not uncommon for a guitarist to claim in interviews that he or she rented a room full of boutique amps and pedals for an album, and the engineer will admit later that it was all POD or POD/Amp Farm.

One well-known band using a well-known product from a well-known company (that claims to never give away free products) actually received multiple free products as well as a non-insignificant influx of tour support money from said company.

Payola?!?!?!  In the music business?!?!?! Say it ain't so, Flava Flav. :P

Well, the MI industry is still very different from the music industry at large. Actually paying artists money to pimp your MI gear isn't very common, at least since the recession. Unless you consider Beats by Dre headphones or GoPro cameras to be MI, of course.

I used to get paid to endorse products. Today, I try to keep that to a minimum because I am always endorsing my own companies --- I believe in them enough to own the business! 

I own one of Steve Vai's old Jackson guitars. A brand he loved. But he joined with Ibanez because Grover Jackson didn't believe in paying for endorsements, and Steve wanted to capitalize on his fame.  

What would you do, if given the opportunity - pay $2k every time you wanted a new guitar, or get paid thousands (if not millions) to play and to tell you people you play a brand. 

Yes, I can confirm, that it usually is about money. Pay me to use your product. Pay me to tell people I use your product. Sometimes you get paid to do an advertisement and there is no long term commitment where you would need to even use the product in public.

You don't actually think that Jessica Simpson invented that perfume, do you? Who would let her in a lab with explosive chemicals!

Every time I went on stage, I got a free guitar. But today, I do not own a single guitar from that brand -- none of the free ones, none that I bought, just simply none. I have a Jackson that I have owned for 30 years. I have 30 year old Jacksons that I bought used. I have other brands too. Do you see a pattern? Paid to play a brand I don't even mention. Do not even own a single unit from that brand I was paid to play. Yet, how many times have I said the brand name Jackson followed by how much I like them and have been a long time owner. Guess which brand I like, lol. 

Another product I sold was beer. Put up the banner. Be seen drinking on stage. 

I hate beer. Not just that brand, I hate all beer. It is just not my thing. I prefer liquor. So, I drank from the bottle on stage. What was in the bottle? Doesn't matter. As long as the crowd saw the logo, I was in the clear. 

but enough about me, even though it was totally relevant;

As DI said, sometimes what is sold publicly isn't what the reality is. It is just not 'metal' to get up and say "I didn't use an amp because I didn't want to damage my hearing, so I used a modeler to give me tone"   

You see a guy with a company logo covered up. They either don't want to promote (for free) a company and product they like, or they are paid to promote a different company and can't contractually be seen with a different brand - or on a rare case, was asked by the company to not be seen with the logo (Muse asked Glenn Beck to stop saying how much he liked them). 

I know guys that get on stage with fake amps/cabs, so that they look cool (some are paid endorsements, some are not). But they are empty, not hooked up, or sometimes just cardboard cutouts. Behind the scenes they have a modeler, or a little combo that is mic'd.

I hate to say this, because I just said something similiar a few days ago and don't want to appear to be bashing them:

But, I can see the new parent company bringing in some advertising and some celebrity users. They are very good at marketing.  

I'm still using my 500x live, but the DT25 stays at home now since I'm running direct. I'd love an endorsement, but the product I use the most when I play is Fireball. 🻠Of all our band pictures, I can't find a single one with both my Pod and my DT25 in it. You can see my Relay G50 on my strap though. But, not using that anymore either since I've got a JTV now.

All comments are well received.

Thanks for posting.

I think one of the perks for any of the top performers in any field are endorsements/sponsorship.

Imagine Racing Cars without sponsors.

It stands to reason; if a band gets plenty of exposure  it is the best promo for a gear manufacturer to give them gear.

IT is a sign of success the ultimate being your own line of guitar.

You know ''well known'' is tricky stuff, For example if you like some type of music you will be more informed about it and of people who create the best sounds surrounding it. These people you then consider ''well known'', but they aren't maybe modern day tv popular, so rest of the planet maybe don't know about 'em. And I say thank God, otherwise they would be forced to make stupid music 24/7. Here's Tony Pettit of The Eden House, previously he played with Fields of Nephilim and before any of that he use to be audio tech with Pink Floyd, so I say that makes him pretty much relevant...Anyway here's the clip pause it on 0:57

Also I linked this before, so if any of you admins want to remove it go ahead. 

• Upvote 1

I did the theme song for America's Most Wanted back in the late 90s on a modeler that was heard by nearly 2 billion people world wide.  I did studio work for about 7 years for that show.  Never used a real amp.  Yeah I'm not famous and nobody's ever heard of me but you're not going to find a lot of big time pros endorsing the PODHD either.  Take what you can get...

Now that I'm playing live again, I use real amps but with the PODHD.

I suspect the biggest users of the PODs are the bulk of musicians that want something that sounds nice without spending a lollipop load of money.  Hmmm, $500 for a PODHD and it sounds really good.  Not quite, but almost, as good as an AXE or Kemper that goes for $2000 to $3000 without a floor board.

I'm no Rocket Surgeon or Brain Scientist, but it seems obvious to me. 

• Upvote 1

There will always be the "look at all my expensive crap" players out there. I suppose the theory is that if it costs more, it must be better. Like everything else in life, sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you don't. No one will ever convince me that the LP that Gibson built from a 3D scan of one of Les Paul's own personal instruments...currently being hawked for an amusing $10K...will sound any "better", or even significantly different from the one that will cost you $2k...but I digress.

Use what you like, and buy what you can afford...but SRV played a beat-up Strat he found in a pawn shop for a couple of hundred bucks. Would some Fender Custom Shop "relic-ed" monstrosity that cost 10 times as much have made him a better player? I seriously doubt it. Marketing is all about perception...ad execs have little use for reality.

Maybe I'd decide the Axe FX or Kemper are "better" than the POD...never played either one, so I have no idea. BUT...to justify the price-tag, (especially for the Kemper), I'd have to be hearing the guitar equivalent of a choir of angels coming out of the thing before I took a $4K plunge on a guitar amp and pedalboard.

Oz Fox from Stryper uses a POD. In this video, Michael Sweet is discussing getting the Stryper Tone using a parametric EQ with an Orange amp, and he says he's trying to get Oz to switch to this particular PEQ, and Oz responds by saying, "I'll stick to my POD" and then Michal says he uses one, too. (around 9:55 to 10:05).

https://youtu.be/iMsBQEsvkDw?t=595

Oz Fox from Stryper uses a POD. In this video, Michael Sweet is discussing getting the Stryper Tone using a parametric EQ with an Orange amp, and he says he's trying to get Oz to switch to this particular PEQ, and Oz responds by saying, "I'll stick to my POD" and then Michal says he uses one, too. (around 9:55 to 10:05).

https://youtu.be/iMsBQEsvkDw?t=595

Reading that post, I can almost smell the Aquanet...ah, simpler times,lol

Reading that post, I can almost smell the Aquanet...ah, simpler times,lol

Yeah, I saw a video of a show opening they did in the last few years and they had no problems about poking fun at themselves for the black leather and poofy hair back in the 80s.

Yeah, I saw a video of a show opening they did in the last few years and they had no problems about poking fun at themselves for the black leather and poofy hair back in the 80s.

The one guy who was able to be the most honest about it was Blackie Lawless from WASP...said in an interview once, in reference to his legendary flame-spitting cod-piece (which had apparently burned him on stage once)..."If we wrote better songs, we wouldn't have to do this s**t"...priceless.

Lets see you in action!

Cheers

Ritchie Castellano - guitar & keyboard player for BOC - the guy rips and seems super cool judging by his videos with his other projects outside of BOC - that's Blue Oyster Cult, for you younger kids out there.  Check out his cover band - Band Geek - they shred and he uses an HD500 on all of the videos - he matches up some classic tones with the HD500.  I beleive he is sponsored by L6 already - if not they should give him some product!  In one video he plays an Engl amp too - using the HD500 to control it via MIDI.

But for the most part... Once you reach the level of sponsorship and have people to haul your stuff - I'll take real amps over modeled ones any time!  I think most people feel that way... so there really aren't many famous guitar gods using HD modeling.  As pointed out above - go look at REAL multi rig pro setups of your guitar heroes.  The pros all have crazy setups full of racks and elaborate pedal boards and heads and power amps - and technicains to keep it all sorted out and working - as emulated in the POD for regular folks like us.  Keep the conversation constrained to portability and there is no competition for the HD!

I tell you a lot of these stories, clips etc are really reassuring. 

I love my POD HD but amongst Audio and Recording Engineers it doesn't get much love.

Understandably it is more fun to mic an amp and as such the Kemper has won alot of favour

as engineering skill comes into it. I'll admit I too like going for a mic'd amp sound if client willing to

pay a little extra.

You would be amazed how many now record with a multi FX device for demos and such

even in Project Studios.

It does really suit fast live recordings where everyone is in-ear and you mic the drum kit  and vocals.

If going to be released; overdub vocals and guitars with real amps or if time is real short reamp maybe the lead parts,

Anyway POD HDs are perfectly adequate for having a couple in the Studio.

I love my POD HD but amongst Audio and Recording Engineers it doesn't get much love.

They may not be mentioned often in Tape Op or Sound on Sound interviews, but PODs and POD Farm are used in a ton of world-class studios by a ton of world-class engineers.

They may not be mentioned often in Tape Op or Sound on Sound interviews, but PODs and POD Farm are used in a ton of world-class studios by a ton of world-class engineers.

Excellent! But I've never seen any from the World class studios I have checked out on line on their gear lists. 

But this sort of thing is of interest to me and would be great to see.

I know Pod Farm was popular for a time. earlier was Waves GTR for a bit  quite a few years ago but since, there are plenty of Soft Amp Sims on the market.

I was on Amplitude2 and RevalverIII which were great but to me getting a POD HD 500 was better value, you got hardware, stomp switches, exp pedal and midi and it could stand up to the rigors of gigs.

The HD amps sounded better than RevalverIII at the time which sounded tp me the best of the amp sims near 3 years ago now. Almost an age in computing years.

A testament to Line 6 is the modelling still holds its own and continues to be added to and supported.

and reaffirms ones buying decision.

The other thing to take into consideration... 

My Pod is a modeler. So, when someone says "what amps are you using", am I going to tell them that I use a modeler or am I going to say a 1965 Fender Twin Reverb and a 1973 Hiwatt DR-103. 

The other thing to take into consideration... 

My Pod is a modeler. So, when someone says "what amps are you using", am I going to tell them that I use a modeler or am I going to say a 1965 Fender Twin Reverb and a 1973 Hiwatt DR-103. 

lol...at some point the distinction does become philosophical. If a digital tree falls in a digital forest, does it really sound like tubes? :P

I'm using my HD500 for two things. When we play live I use it as a virtual pedalboard between my guitar and my amp. When I record demos, I use it also as an amp modeler.

I have a hand-made Monster tube amp which is a lot like a Hiwatt but with more versatility, a very big and flat (in a good way) sound with nice distortion. I have it set semi-driven and add distortion from the HD500 (Tube Drive model) to drive it further.  When I record demos, I use the Hiway 100 and/or JCM 800 model to imitate it.

In our style, all the effects work nicely before the amp, like they were pedals. I use lots of delay (Analog w/mod is my fave model) and reverb (usually Spring before the amp). Auto volume delay is very typical. Octo/Particle Verb, phaser, tremolo, whammy, ring mod, they all have their places here and there during the set. 

I make patches and/or banks for each song. Usually the delay tempo and feedback are what require their own patch. For most patches, FS1 has distortion, FS3 has delay and FS4 has reverb. FS2 is dedicated to some "effect", be it phaser or extra distortion. Wah is usually accessible through Exp Toe. This way I have best of both worlds for pre-programmability and improvisation, I can always quickly add a delay if I feel like it. 

I've also taken much time in adjusting the footswitches so I can go from a boosted distorted tone into clean with delay and other effects with one button, and have delays and reverbs trailing. I also often use the volume pedal or have the expression control some parameter. 

I've found my favourite way to make a clean tone to put my guitar (Gibson SG) on the neck pickup and brighten it up with the Blue Comp Treb. There's just something magical about that combination. 

You can hear some HD500 stuff on my band's latest album: https://consciousnessremovalproject.bandcamp.com/album/tacit It's instrumental post-rock/metal.

Sort of related, Jennifer Batten used to proudly show off her GNX-3000.  Wrong brand, but she had no problem showing she was modeling.

Vai uses a Carvin Legacy, but always stays on the clean channel.    He displays than amp proudly, but models most of his tones.  Of course, he's using the expensive (and probably free) modeler.

One can only hope if you are lucky enough to be sponsored, it's something you'd actually use...

• 1 month later...