Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newb question on HD500x

hdsteele

I'm about as beginner as I can be so please excuse the ignorance! I may be way overthinking this but I am trying to find out if and how I can run my stereo guitar output (Hybrid guitar with 1 stereo cable coming for the guitar, one channel acoustic pickup and the other channel the electric/humbuckers) into the Pod HD500x and keep the inputs on separate, distinct paths through a separate, distinct chain of effects and then out the Pod to a single amp.  Is this done by simply adding a splitter cable to my guitar output, run one to the guitar input on the Pod and the other to the Aux. input? Then set up A and B paths that are separate until I mix down to an amp/cab for output? 

Is this possible to do with the 500x and if so would I be doing it correctly as described? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

yes, it cld b done as described (although outputs shld also b separated, elec-->amp/cab,  acc-->pa/monitors)...

Is this done by simply adding a splitter cable to my guitar output, run one to the guitar input on the Pod and the other to the Aux. input? Then set up A and B paths that are separate until I mix down to an amp/cab for output?

Yes, what you said, and what he said. 

Unfortunately, the unit does not have stereo jacks (except headphone out). So anything needing stereo needs to run two separate jacks. 

I would like to see in future products (which I won't be buying anytime soon), a stereo input so that stereo guitars and keyboards can be used. And I would like to see the output jacks also being stereo so that the pod can go into a source that accepts stereo. 

*Just for a point of reference: if I still had a need for stereo guitar inputs, I wouldn't have gotten my pod. 

Historically, electric guitars have always been mono. Stereo guitars are a rarity, so it makes sense that the unit isn't stereo; it's way too small of portion of the market. Even a guitar with a piezo bridge + normal pickups isn't really stereo... just two outputs.

It has left and right outputs.  You can combine them with a Y cable if you want to go to a TRS plug.  I use the left and right XLR outputs and connect both cables to my powered speaker.  The speaker then combines the L and R signals. (not stereo of course)

Historically, electric guitars have always been mono. Stereo guitars are a rarity, so it makes sense that the unit isn't stereo; it's way too small of portion of the market. 

which is one of the reasons I gave up on stereo guitars twenty years ago, lol. 

But the pod is not exclusive to guitars. 

And as a tech company, L6 needs to stay ahead of the curve. Stereo guitars, thanks to other technologies, are becoming available more and more. 

No different than my biggest 'want' for my pod, the ability to use my android phone or tablet to run the EDIT software -- not being able to do something on iOs or Andrioid seems like the stone age as far as tech is concerned. A stereo output (if not input) should have been considered.  

Of course, I say that but still use 3.5" floppy disks on the pianos. 

MIDI technology is so small, that a 1.44mb floppy more than you'll ever need for a gig. 

And new products, they've been incorporating things like cd and usb for years, but its really only been this decade that the floppy has been phased out. Even though the file size is more than ample, if computers aren't including a floppy as a standard anymore, the rest of the world needs to follow.

Thanks guys. For me the important answer is that what I want to do can be done, possibly in several ways and isn't a big deal. I've quickly learned that the last thing I want with learning the HD500X is a "big deal".  The learning curve is rather steep!

the only way to really keep 2 signals separate is to use no effects pre splitting the paths a and b, and no effects other than dual mono after the mixer which needs to be panned left and right.

you end up with 2 separate mono channels.

or pan both to center to mix and get some stereo depending on effects in post position.

Learning curve can seem steep but can be done by dummies.  I pretty much used the Edit software exclusively to learn this thing.  It is just a matter of seeing what is all there and reading posts.  It is really cool when you figure it out which will be sooner than you think. But I'll be hurting if I don't have a computer.  IOS control would be cool. Saw that on ideascale.

Currently running Variax stereo with multiple outs.  Love my rig!