Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I use my computer speakers AND different speakers for Studio GX/Pod farm?

I just bought a Studio GX and have it set up like most mention by unplugging my computers speakers and plugging them into the GX and it works great BUT I have a question. IF I don't want to use the GX as an external sound card at "all times" and instead only want to use the GX when using Pod farm and recording software can I leave the computer's speakers plugged in to the computer's sound card and plug in a set of "powered Personal monitor" speakers that I have on hand into the Studio GX and leave it plugged in all the time?  IDs there ANY problem with doing this IF it will even work?  I just don't want to use the GX as the sound card for everything ALL the time NOR do I want to be plugging AND unplugging stuff all the time.............     

can I leave the computer's speakers plugged in to the computer's sound card and plug in a set of "powered Personal monitor" speakers that I have on hand into the Studio GX and leave it plugged in all the time?  I......     

Absolutely!!

This is preferred over PC speakers.

Thanks, I asked the above question because I had never read anything FROM anyone STATING that BOTH could be utilized simultaneously.   

So IF I use BOTH simultaneously, I'll hear EVERYTHING I normally hear from the computer through that set of speakers AND only Pod Farm sounds from the set of powered monitor speakers that will be plugged into the Studio GX?

I just want to make sure before hooking something up only to see/hear it blowing/burning and finding out later from someone, "oh you can't do that" ;)

I misunderstood.

You can not use both sound devices simultaneous in the fashion.

When using the UX all you computer sounds will be routed to the UX, it becomes your soundcard .

You can switch to your PC's soundcard to use your PC speakers when not using the UX.

I'm using the Studio GX but I'm sure this would be the same for any external sound card including the UX?.........  See if I have this right,,,,, So IF I do NOT want to have the hassle of switching back and forth "Physically"  I'll have to go into my audio settings and switch back and forth each time within the settings there?   

I'm using the Studio GX but I'm sure this would be the same for any external sound card including the UX?.........  See if I have this right,,,,, So IF I do NOT want to have the hassle of switching back and forth "Physically"  I'll have to go into my audio settings and switch back and forth each time within the settings there?   

Until my internal soundcard died, that's how I used my equipment - the default deriver and device was the internal card.  When I wanted to use my monitors and audio interface, I had to go into the internal settings and change it, but in Reaper (my DAW), the audio interface was set as the default, so as long as it was turned on and plugged in, it worked for monitoring without changing the internal settings - in fact I was able to use them both at the same time - playing internet sounds through the internal soundcard and computer speakers, and DAW sound through the interface and monitors.