Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Mother-of-Toilet-Seat pickguard for the 69

Yup, got it from Full Compass.

Took about 20 minutes to change. Pretty straightforward. Only tricky part was the model select knob.

1) Remove the strings...I know it's rather obvious, but you never know. ;)

2) Remove volume and tone knobs.

3) Remove all the pickguard screws, including the single coil mounting screws, toggle switch screws, and alt. tuning wheel screws. No need to mess with the humbucker. Don't lose the 4 springs that raise/lower the single coils.

4) Remove the model select knob. This one sits in a black plastic spacer...kinda like a washer with a lip on it. You'll see it once you pull the knob off. The spacer has two small tabs on the underside that fit into corresponding holes in the pickguard, to keep it in place. There was a small amount of adhesive as well, which made it necessary to poke through the holes from the back to pop the spacer off. Do it gingerly, or you might crack it. I did not find it necessary to use any adhesive attaching it to the new pickguard. Once the knob is back on, it stays in place just fine.

Oddly, once the model select knob is off, the shaft will spin forever in either direction. The stop is on the knob itself, and on mine anyway, the knob can only go back on one way...so it didn't matter that I had turned the shaft, but who knows if they're all the same? So I'd just pay attention to what model you're on before you remove it, and avoid turning the shaft until everything is back together.

5) Slap on the new pickguard, and screw everything back on.

Not really much to it.

• Upvote 1

Did you add a different neck to that. It looks like it has mother of pearl inlays. At leas a much higher quality neck than the stock one..

Yes, neck is a Warmoth. Birdseye maple with abalone inlays. Love it. Warmoth makes really nice stuff. Huge improvement, can't say enough good things about it.

Don't know why the pics are rotated...oh well, lol.

post-1838810-0-43945200-1431144325_thumb.jpg

post-1838810-0-72699100-1431144388_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tips, crusinon2! will need to keep this handy when I do mine. I was inside my 69S when I changed the 3 SC pups to noiseless DiMarzio's a couple or 3 years ago. I did it without having to disconnect the cable runs from the faceplate to the processor. I assume you were able to do this without disconnecting the cables, as you didn't mention it. True?

Dave

Thanks for the tips, crusinon2! will need to keep this handy when I do mine. I was inside my 69S when I changed the 3 SC pups to noiseless DiMarzio's a couple or 3 years ago. I did it without having to disconnect the cable runs from the faceplate to the processor. I assume you were able to do this without disconnecting the cables, as you didn't mention it. True?

Dave

No need to mess with wires. Everything is pretty self contained under there. Even the 5-way toggle has its own housing...never seen that before.

It's really nothing but removing a bunch of screws.

Hey Zap -- they do have a black one for the 69

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/456850.html

Dave

(I've tried multiple times to use the quote feature in posts, but never seems to work for me. Obviously, I must be doing something wrong, because I see people posting with inset quotes all the time...)

cool! not sure how i missed that!

Hey Zap -- they do have a black one for the 69

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/456850.html

Dave

(I've tried multiple times to use the quote feature in posts, but never seems to work for me. Obviously, I must be doing something wrong, because I see people posting with inset quotes all the time...)

I wanted to build guitoilet years ago using a toilet seat and a Fender neck.I got most of my parts together and started to do my layout.I even had some younger punk rock guys wanting to buy one from me.Confidence was high! Then my wife discovered my guitoilet project and threw away all three of the toilet seats I had lovingly collected for my prototypes. If I had actually been able to produce two or three I am pretty sure I would not still be out at night playing Sweet Home Alabama and Bruno Mars latest single to pay the bills.Demand for the guitoilet I believe would have been strong enough for me to get out of the cover band business.I had a dream and it died a hard painful death.I still grow wistful about that dream when I buy new toilet seats for the toilets in our home.

I wanted to build guitoilet years ago using a toilet seat and a Fender neck.I got most of my parts together and started to do my layout.I even had some younger punk rock guys wanting to buy one from me.Confidence was high! Then my wife discovered my guitoilet project and threw away all three of the toilet seats I had lovingly collected for my prototypes. If I had actually been able to produce two or three I am pretty sure I would not still be out at night playing Sweet Home Alabama and Bruno Mars latest single to pay the bills.Demand for the guitoilet I believe would have been strong enough for me to get out of the cover band business.I had a dream and it died a hard painful death.I still grow wistful about that dream when I buy new toilet seats for the toilets in our home.

Lol...nothing worse than watching a dream spiral down the crapper. :D

Probably would have sounded like $h*t anyway...soryy, couldn't resist. ;)

My sons are grown now and I think my wife did not want me building crazy stuff in those days.I just started working with a new bass player who is an electronics engineer. He builds tube amps/ pedals etc...Perhaps I shall share my guitoilet idea with him

AND IT CAN BE REBORN!

• 3 weeks later...

I got my white pearloid faceplate from Full Compass last Tuesday. My luthier was still in town, and had a touch up on the tail lock-strap pin to take care of, so I weenied out and had him install the faceplate while he had it.... Got it back yesterday. I like it A LOT better than the minty color that it came with... A pic is attached -- thanks crusinon2 for the nudge... ;)  Luckily, when I changed out the stock SC pup's with DiMarzio's, I bought 3 different sets of pup covers -- one was white, so I had them on hand for him. I think it dresses the guitar up nicely.

Dave

post-98161-0-28462900-1433110300_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1