Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I'm off....Axe FX II XL+ inbound

GazzaBloom

I have a friend that went by lollipop when he was younger but now goes by Rich (his full name is Richard). He loves to tell people that he used to be a lollipop but now he is Rich :-)

Oh well the filter doesn't like the name and changed it to lollipop

-Max

I had an Uncle lollipop and he always used lollipop. Didn't care and not too many people snickered when he said his name was lollipop. Lesson learn by a young kid about name calling from a great guy.

Here's a quick Scientific challenge to prove that the POD HD is just as capable as Kemper or AXE II

and No it's not a challenge of playing Skills either.

Anyone who's reading this thread who has an AXE FX or Kemper can post  a downloadable link to two small files of MP3 quality of 160kbps or above of a short performance using their favorite patch in that device (Kemper or AXE II). The two tracks should be of the same performance, one of them is a DI track,  so I, or any POD HD owners, will re-amp that track using the POD HD  to "Tone Match" or "Profile" the wet track using only the POD HD and human ears

:D 

I personally guarantee that I will get you a sound that will be very close and if not identical it might be better and I will post the HD 500 Patch. If you keep posting different sounds, I will keep posting corresponding  patches using HD500 until you have enough to consider whether you want to keep your Kemper or AXE. If you're interested  that  we get closer patches, it would be nice to give little information about the amp or pedals used.

Fair enough?  I think it's more that fair and it's the only way that will give an accurate representation of what each unit can do.

Any other approach involving two different performances by two different players will be skewed for very obvious reasons (more skilled player will sound better regardless) . Anyone who has a Kemper or AXE II should be able to provide a direct track fairly easy, but I have a feeling that no one will provide direct tracks because sadly people in general don't like to face reality head on. I don't think someone who spent 2500 or more on AXEII is interested in having his direct track Re-amped using the POD HD coming out sounding the same and better. Make no mistake about it, it will sound just as good or better using the POD HD.

i quote an old fruitless invitation by deandinosaur.

as far as i know, this till now remains "nobody-accepts-the-challenge"...

keep on rocking everbody!!!!  :)

I'm willing to participate in this! I think it's a great idea!

• Upvote 1

The L6 Experts know the L6 gear and IIRC do some beta testing, which is great and well earned, as they have proven to have nuts and bolts dug into the gear, its application "and" have maintained a helpful presence and will do so in the future, its advantageous for all. Besides they actually might like doing it :)

I agree with you %100, as my post wasn't directed at the moderators. They actually do a pretty good job at helping in

the most efficient ways without much attitude. Its some of the high posting normal users i was referring to. Maybe a

self awareness of their attitudes isn't present, seems like a sure symptom to take a break away from it all.

D ick is short for Richard, like Bob is short for Robert.

I agree with you %100, as my post wasn't directed at the moderators. They actually do a pretty good job at helping in

the most efficient ways without much attitude. Its some of the high posting normal users i was referring to. Maybe a

self awareness of their attitudes isn't present, seems like a sure symptom to take a break away from it all.

D ick is short for Richard, like Bob is short for Robert.

I'm sorry Dude didn't mean to have anything implied like that. I know your a cool guy as I've used alot of your advice from a different site (it was for a Zoom G5 if I remember, with the same ID) and it was most helpful.

-B

• Upvote 1

lol yeh, post count and frequency might be a reflection of their ego ? or to be noticed by the moderators so they get anointed themselves

as a moderator. As I understand it, moderators receive free stuff from Line6 as payment, it would certainly be an incentive for some to

clock up posts. Nobody tries to help that much for no reason at all lol. A whole lotta quantity, and not much quality, BAM! yup, i said it.

Surely a person would know all there is to know about a MFX unit after 1000 posts, and at-least as much reading ? interesting observation.

The best thing is that they browbeat the original poster on this thread until he made a reply that fit their idea of the way one should be unhappy or leave this forum. Only then did you see them change their replies in return.So in effect, they wanted to control what the guy had to say in the first place while they seem to be the self elected content police. Who made your opinion more relevant than his? There are all different types of "Announcements" being made here. His was, "This thing is hard to use and it isn't giving me the tones I want so.."  The negative crowd announced" We're total A*holes"! 

All I've tried to say here is, get some F**king manners and some class and respect for the other guy.

You can disagree with the guys likes or dislikes in style if your a little more than an uneducated idiot.

Also, if you think it's soo easy to dial in your HD500X, then you don't have one.

Plus with all the time they spend here NIGHT AND DAY they really can't play anything other than a computer keyboard but they sure seem to have all the answers...don't they?  How do you make music with that type of persona?

I think yer right............bucking to become an "Line6 Expert"

And Pianoguyy....Dude, you need some mental health care. But you win the prize for the most crap laden post I've ever seen.

I'm embarrassed for you.

I have learned who's who here though, and will tailor my activity here to reflect that.

I'm done on this topic.....think I'll go to the lounge and post something positive.

I use Line6 gear and like it.

Am I a techno geek? No, I'm a guitar player.

I have a BA in Music Ed from USC.

I have a Masters Degree in Music with a guitar performance major from Northwestern U.

I make my living as a Graphic Artist and a musician, about 50/50% of the time.

My avatar is a piece of my artwork. I'm also a car nut.

I also need to go practice to keep the old skills sharp.

God Bless BB King, he's passed away,

Nice Guys Finish First Here,

Shawn Kylling

• Upvote 2

The best thing is that they browbeat the original poster on this thread until he made a reply that fit their idea of the way one should be unhappy or leave this forum. Only then did you see them change their replies in return.So in effect, they wanted to control what the guy had to say in the first place while they seem to be the self elected content police. Who made your opinion more relevant than his? There are all different types of "Announcements" being made here. His was, "This thing is hard to use and it isn't giving me the tones I want so.." The negative crowd announced" We're total A*holes"!

All I've tried to say here is, get some F**king manners and some class and respect for the other guy.

You can disagree with the guys likes or dislikes in style if your a little more than an uneducated idiot.

Also, if you think it's soo easy to dial in your HD500X, then you don't have one.

Plus with all the time they spend here NIGHT AND DAY they really can't play anything other than a computer keyboard but they sure seem to have all the answers...don't they? How do you make music with that type of persona?

I think yer right............bucking to become an "Line6 Expert"

And Pianoguyy....Dude, you need some mental health care. But you win the prize for the most crap laden post I've ever seen.

I'm embarrassed for you.

I have learned who's who here though, and will tailor my activity here to reflect that.

I'm done on this topic.....think I'll go to the lounge and post something positive.

I use Line6 gear and like it.

Am I a techno geek? No, I'm a guitar player.

I have a BA in Music Ed from USC.

I have a Masters Degree in Music with a guitar performance major from Northwestern U.

I make my living as a Graphic Artist and a musician, about 50/50% of the time.

I also need to go practice to keep the old skills sharp.

God Bless BB King, he's passed away,

Nice Guys Finish First Here,

Shawn Kylling

So let me see if I've got this straight...

When anyone else takes issue with the tone someone uses to express themselves, they're designated "a**holes", and "uneducated idiots"...but when you do the exact same thing, you're the good guy? Is it OK to behave exactly the same way as those you're vilifying, as long as you fly the flag of "good taste" while you do it? Or maybe it's OK, as long as those to whom it's directed are pre-judged to be terrible people...either way I suppose it makes you the better person, right? Congratulations...you win.

It's also worth noting that of all the people who've commented here, you're the only one resorting to name-calling...the same guy who repeatedly takes everyone else to task for their alleged lack of "decency" and "class". Exactly how does the name-calling fit into that narrative? Never mind, I don't care.

To everyone else...stayed tuned for the reply that doesn't actually address anything I've said. But I'm sure it will contain something about my post count as it relates to a deep-seeded desire to be an "expert", and how my playing must suck as a result...who knew that armchair psychoanalysis is part of a graphic arts curriculum these days?

Unless of course he's too busy "Kylling it", in which case there won't be a response at all.

• Upvote 1

:rolleyes: The lengths some go to to defend their rights to be a$$holes and justify it through witty debate. I'm done too, ima go play my guitar. :)

Well the non-response came from someone else, but it's more or less what I expected. I'm sure the two of you will very happy together, toasting your superiority in the "better people" lounge.

All the best.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Good luck mate, got both Ax and HD500. Both splendid kit, but heres the movie....I've gotten great tones outta both and total crap outta both. You'll tweak more like me, but presets out the box are amazing..then tweak...and tweak again..ha ha what I'm trying to say is, is that if EVH can still be tone chasing, then whatever gear we have the search is far from over. You'll love it mate, but be prepared for firmare update every two weeks. Btw the haters on here can suck! Don't be bitter...buy one.

Well the non-response came from someone else, but it's more or less what I expected. I'm sure the two of you will very happy together, toasting your superiority in the "better people" lounge.

All the best.

Your starting to sound like one of those "gotta have the last word" kinda guys lol. You already got one buddy of

yours admitting he's not nice, and the other wanting wind in the sails to perpetuate the flames, can you blame me

for buying into your game ? Admit it, you love the given punchlines to work your sophisticated sarcasm magic.  :P

• Upvote 2

My 2cents,

I too have both the AxeFX2 and the HD500/DT25. They're different beasts. Just because the AxeFX is 4 times the price, everyone assumes it is better, and they'll get better tones. To the OP, and anybody else, sure, if you can't get the tones you want out of 1 piece of gear (in this case, the HD500), then you gotta keep looking. But, I would say, don't assume the next piece of gear is going to necessarily be your holy grail, just because it is expensive.

I bought both the AxeFX and the HD500 because they're better at different things, for my purposes. To make a gross generalisation, I would say the AxeFX is better at metal, and the HD500 is better at rock/pop/blues/clean. YMMV. But, while Paul McCartney was a great melody writer, he also wrote some pretty good lyrics, and John Lennon wrote some pretty good melodies.

The best solution I would say is if you can, don't sell the old gear until you've tried the new gear, unless you're really, really sure you're never going to be happy with the old gear. Of course, one does not always have the finances to do it in that order.

And to all, I hope we find the tones we're looking for, wherever we can, with whatever gear we can.

• Upvote 4

You've posted twice since saying you were done. Including once to say that you were voting for a post, almost as if you were trying to raise your post count, LOL. Usually when someone says they are done, it means they are done. It means they go away. 

So, which is?

Are you: 

a. done, which means there will be no follow up,  

b. trying to raise your post count, the way you accuse others, or 

c. trying to have the last word. 

Quite frankly, if you were a man of your word, you said you were done, which means you aren't even here to read the question. 

• Downvote 1

This was dead days ago -- basically, the minute the op came back and apologized for being a lollipop. 

But others had to keep it going. Even had to use specific people's names in their posts. 

Or haven't you noticed that a certain crowd seems to be trying to be mute, while the others continue. 

And yet... 

You're the ones still sitting here talking about it 3 days later. 

if anything this is a funny almost childish thread just to keep reading .. keep up the good work lol ... sorry I don't really mean it lol

although if you step back and look at the whole thread from a neutral standing .. Iol .. its just becoming silly/embarrassing  :) and why this thread has not been locked or even moved to a different part of the forum is surprising to me :)

if anything this is a funny almost childish thread just to keep reading .. keep up the good work lol ... sorry I don't really mean it lol

although if you step back and look at the whole thread from a neutral standing .. Iol .. its just becoming silly/embarrassing  :) and why this thread has not been locked or even moved to a different part of the forum is surprising to me :)

Agreed, at the beginning i was serious, but lost all respect by page 3 when i realized this was a pissing contest, so i thought what the

hell lol. Although, as ridiculous as this conversation seems now, the process has undoubtedly revealed the true colours of some here.

I bought both the AxeFX and the HD500 because they're better at different things, for my purposes. To make a gross generalisation, I would say the AxeFX is better at metal, and the HD500 is better at rock/pop/blues/clean. YMMV. But, while Paul McCartney was a great melody writer, he also wrote some pretty good lyrics, and John Lennon wrote some pretty good melodies.

The best solution I would say is if you can, don't sell the old gear until you've tried the new gear, unless you're really, really sure you're never going to be happy with the old gear. Of course, one does not always have the finances to do it in that order.

And to all, I hope we find the tones we're looking for, wherever we can, with whatever gear we can.

To try to get this sort of back on topic (I've had an AxeFX II sitting in the shopping cart for like two weeks now, agonizing over whether to pull the trigger)... I find your comment interesting in that meambobbo's guide seemed to indicate it was doable, if not "easy," to get usable high-gain tones out of the POD HD series, but it was just about impossible to get good clean tones. And it seems like that has been my experience as well, in an attempt to get things level matched my clean channels would always end up breaking up. I haven't tried the model packs though, so maybe the JC120 model makes it easier.

But I guess that falls under "YMMV" :)

I get good clean patches with the Fender amps -- the Bassman, Deluxe, now with the model pack Black Panel Pete. One thing I always do with the clean patches is but my Volume pedal in front of the amp model, put my amp drive up to about 50% or so. The JC120 model is pretty clean from the get go, but has a different tonal sound, just like the Blackface Twin has a different voice from the other Fender models. When I roll up the volume pedal, it increases the "bite" of the amp. The JC120 is pretty clean all the way -- gotta be careful not to overdrive the JC input, it will distort digitally -- not pretty.

I know -- not bitchin' about other people bitchin' -- got off topic here.... :huh:

Dave

To try to get this sort of back on topic (I've had an AxeFX II sitting in the shopping cart for like two weeks now, agonizing over whether to pull the trigger)... I find your comment interesting in that meambobbo's guide seemed to indicate it was doable, if not "easy," to get usable high-gain tones out of the POD HD series, but it was just about impossible to get good clean tones. And it seems like that has been my experience as well, in an attempt to get things level matched my clean channels would always end up breaking up. I haven't tried the model packs though, so maybe the JC120 model makes it easier.

But I guess that falls under "YMMV" :)

Interesting.

I found it nigh on impossible to get good clean tones out of the AxeFX. Same problem with the Boss stuff. Always sounds digital to me, which is less of an issue for metal. And I look at all the youtube vides of the AxeFX, and they're almost always metal players. I know lots of the metal guys used to complain on here about getting metal tones out of the HD series, but that was also partly because they didn't feel enough metal amps had been modelled. I haven't tried any of the model packs yet, so that could completely change my position, and maybe I need to spend some more time with the Axe again, but I'm O/S. YMMV. :)

RE: your level matching comment: Are you saying you could get clean tones you liked, but not at a volume you liked?

Modelers are like women....You turn them upside down, and they all look like sisters... ;)

Other guitarist in my band uses the AXE2 with the new fancy footcontroller....I think it sounds great....Comments we get from the band is "You guys have those guitars dialed in"...If we swapped rigs, we would get a similar result...

Interesting.

I found it nigh on impossible to get good clean tones out of the AxeFX. Same problem with the Boss stuff. Always sounds digital to me, which is less of an issue for metal.

RE: your level matching comment: Are you saying you could get clean tones you liked, but not at a volume you liked?

"Sounds digital" is a critique of modelers I've seen a lot, but it's something that has never really meant anything to me. It's probably a side effect of my history with equipment and playing, though -- there was an old 30W Yamaha solid state combo amp I played through growing up, but never with the volume higher than probably 1 or 2, then I had an overpriced 15W Crate practice amp, then a Behringer V-Amp2, and now the HD500 and Guitar Rig 5/Amplitube 3 VSTs. I also hear people say things about how a model might respond like a real amp in the sense of cleaning up when you roll off the volume or pick attack, but I'd been playing at least 15 years before I ever saw anybody adjust their pickups, volume knob, or tone knob while playing, so... maybe I just don't notice that sort of auditory nuance ;)

It's been a while since I messed with my POD or tried to create any patches, because I stopped playing out much and so I mostly just record with Guitar Rig right now. But yeah, my recollection is that either my distorted rhythm patches would sound wimpy because I would turn the channel volume down and master up, or my clean patch would distort because I would have to bring up the gain.

"Sounds digital" is a critique of modelers I've seen a lot, but it's something that has never really meant anything to me

It usually means something like harsh overtones, caused by digital artifacts. That is, caused by consequences of the processing itself.

For me, it's like fingernails scraped along an old-school chalkboard added to the original sound you're trying to get. At a guess, maybe it's high-order (treble) odd harmonics? Anyway, it's a mildly annoying sound, which I hear much more in Boss gear than I do Line 6 gear.

Thanks for this u tube post H I found it very interesting especially the Desser bit its great to soak up others experiences and to go and apply it to see if it helps. My first contact with digital was the line 6 flextone amps and I found them great sounding at bedroom level but horribly harsh at gig volume (Fletcher Munson effect?) and remember a lot of guys using bb preamps and all sorts of other fixes in the send and return but I think Line 6 has come a long way since then especially with the use of EQ to take that harshness away as demoed by Peters video on these forums.

I'd been playing at least 15 years before I ever saw anybody adjust their pickups, volume knob, or tone knob while playing, so... maybe I just don't notice that sort of auditory nuance  ;)

That's how I started playing back in the day then the fuzz faces etc came along and was thinking about this recently so last Saturday we played a gig and all I took was a Victory V30 amp head a 1x12 open back cab and a mini TC Hof in the loop for reverb and a vox wah in the front used only the distortion Chanel and used my volume/tone controls to on my Les Paul to control how clean/overdriven the sound was and it was just singing the only thing I could have done with is a EP boost or Spark just on certain notes to get a bit of harmonic feedback so my next thought when I am off shift is to set up the pod in 4 cable method and use the wah in the pod and put an echoplex in the front end and use reverb tremolo delay in the send return but no amp modelling. It is pleasing to know that you can use the pod in so many variations and for everyone they have their own way to reach there goal.

I read an article about digital recording which said some similar things.  In the analogue days the very low and very high frequencies didn't come out very loud.  But in the digital world all frequencies come out strong and a low and high shelf EQ is needed to tame this down and get rid of the low boominess and high harshness.

haha! Flextone rig....Yes, a lot of outboard gear was needed to get that amp right....Here's a pic of my old Flextone III XL rig (around 2005 I think)....Worked great, just too much to drag around and a lot of midi programing between the SPXs and the MP-1...MP-1 was used as a programable EQ and tube buffer, not as a conventional preamp....just a model helper...

post-76460-0-08693000-1432043251_thumb.jpg

listen to what the Gibson guy and tone guru Craig Anderton (in the center) had to say in this old but still interesting video clip

particulary at 12:20 point, but all things said are interesting from the start..

Interesting video about modeling inserted here

Good One "H"! Thanks for sharing that.

The part about using the Parametric EQ after the amp sim to cut annoying frequencies and/or using the D-Esser before the amp sim are very good things to know. I use them almost all the time especially when using my UX2. I look at like this...."The guitar is like a Trojan Horse...you get more than you asked for". So cutting is imperative.

listen to what the Gibson guy and tone guru Craig Anderton (in the center) had to say in this old but still interesting video clip

particulary at 12:20 point, but all things said are interesting from the start..

Really interesting. Always learning.

Thanks very much for posting that H.

Oz.

Can the de-esser from the X3 LIVE series be used in front of the amp sim in the HD500 as suggested by Craig Anderton?

I guess he means between the guitar and the amp sim when he says "in front". ?

Why not?!! I do that sort of thing. I use my UX2 or X3 Pro into the HD500.

No de-esser in the 500, bummer. Would an EQ(s) before the amp would accomplish the same thing?

I'm sure you could get close or right on with the HD500's Parametric EQ to cut the annoying frequencies. If after you do that the volume is cut, you can boost it with a straight up Studio EQ by placing it post Para EQ and increasing it's gain.

PeterJH did a good video demonstration on the cutting of frequencies with the Parametric EQ.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure you could get close or right on with the HD500's Parametric EQ to cut the annoying frequencies. If after you do that the volume is cut, you can boost it with a straight up Studio EQ by placing it post Para EQ and increasing it's gain

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Sometimes I can't hear a difference when I switch an EQ on and off in patches I've downloaded. I think that might be because the patch was tweaked for an FRFR setup and I am using DT amps. Or my ears are too old. Or both.