Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considering a move to Firehawk

frstrat

I got my 500x last June and over time, I've grown increasingly dissatisfied with it. I think this is more a matter of my approach to the device rather than the device itself. I've been playing for about 25 years and am very comfortable with all kinds of tech, but the 500x showed me a side of myself that I hadn't known - I'm not really into tweaking sounds. For me, the 500x discourages me from playing because I spend all my time trying to dial up tones that I usually don't enjoy. After hours and hours of work, I've managed to build 3 tones that I consistently enjoy using (medium gain blues sounds). I've not been able to build any satisfying high gain sounds, and have been unsuccessful at getting a nice lush chorus sound.  To my ears, the rotary/drum and rotary/drum horn effect from my X3 sound better than the HD version.  Again - not a fault of the device but my own weirdness.  I haven't been able to appreciate how all the shapeable parameters affect the tone I'm trying to build. I don't play out anymore and am just a humble hobbyist.  With all that said, might the Firehawk be a better tool for me?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

My experiences of the hd500 are much the same as yours, I too considered myself pretty comfortable at building patches and tweaking effects and the 500 had me wondering what I was doing wrong, if all my other effects units are anything to go by it was the 500 being awkward and not my lack of knowledge, all my other units sound great, I'm still waiting for my firehawk but if you have a read through these different threads I'll think you'll come to the conclusion that the Firehawk is aimed directly at people like us

I got my 500x last June and over time, I've grown increasingly dissatisfied with it. I think this is more a matter of my approach to the device rather than the device itself. I've been playing for about 25 years and am very comfortable with all kinds of tech, but the 500x showed me a side of myself that I hadn't known - I'm not really into tweaking sounds. For me, the 500x discourages me from playing because I spend all my time trying to dial up tones that I usually don't enjoy. After hours and hours of work, I've managed to build 3 tones that I consistently enjoy using (medium gain blues sounds). I've not been able to build any satisfying high gain sounds, and have been unsuccessful at getting a nice lush chorus sound.  To my ears, the rotary/drum and rotary/drum horn effect from my X3 sound better than the HD version.  Again - not a fault of the device but my own weirdness.  I haven't been able to appreciate how all the shapeable parameters affect the tone I'm trying to build. I don't play out anymore and am just a humble hobbyist.  With all that said, might the Firehawk be a better tool for me?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Check out this video guys, it's a good one if you are undecided.

This is a photo not a link I couldn't figure how to link it on an ipad.

Just go to youtube and type in line6 pedal comparison hd 500x verses firehawk fx

post-1921002-0-48313000-1431278247_thumb.jpg

My opinion, patch creation on the firehawk is very fast & easy.  Thing is, you might have an issue with the limitations such as only single amp signal paths, and time lag on patch changes.  Also, if you use loopers you would need an external unit-not going to work with the variax cable.  If you play songs that use 4 different sounds or less and have a large pad this is most likely the easiest device to use on the market to create custom patches with.  However, I installed the app on a smartphone, 7" pad, and 10" pad, and I can tell you-the bigger the better.

I have had my Firehawk for a few weeks, and for me there are a few main issues:

- Bluetooth drops out, and if you switch apps on an android device (I am using another music app that will allow me to change the pitch of a song), it disconnects, and reconnects, so you have to wait.

- Lag when switching between patches is too great to make the unit viable live if you have to switch between patches, the lag when turning effects on the top row, is jot as noticable, but that brings us tothe next issue.....

- The top stomp buttons are hard to single out without stomping on the patch buttons below them, there is no "step", to increase their height like on other multi tier buttoned units.

- In my opinion the # of allowable effects per patch is to low, and some of them too simple (example- only one type of eq, compressor, etc.)

I definately like where this unit is heading, but for my purposes, I probably should have bought the HD500x, but still,it may be a bit too compex, something in between the Firehawk, and the HD500X would have probably served me better, maybe there will be a Firehawk FX PRO".

Maybe one of you who are dissatisfied with your HD500X would like to trade me for my Firehawk?...... but let me wait till I try out the first firmware upgrade- lol!

I have had my Firehawk for a few weeks, and for me there are a few main issues:

- Bluetooth drops out, and if you switch apps on an android device (I am using another music app that will allow me to change the pitch of a song), it disconnects, and reconnects, so you have to wait.

- Lag when switching between patches is too great to make the unit viable live if you have to switch between patches, the lag when turning effects on the top row, is jot as noticable, but that brings us tothe next issue.....

- The top stomp buttons are hard to single out without stomping on the patch buttons below them, there is no "step", to increase their height like on other multi tier buttoned units.

- In my opinion the # of allowable effects per patch is to low, and some of them too simple (example- only one type of eq, compressor, etc.)

I definately like where this unit is heading, but for my purposes, I probably should have bought the HD500x, but still,it may be a bit too compex, something in between the Firehawk, and the HD500X would have probably served me better, maybe there will be a Firehawk FX PRO".

Maybe one of you who are dissatisfied with your HD500X would like to trade me for my Firehawk?...... but let me wait till I try out the first firmware upgrade- lol!

I have a HD400 if you want to trade with the Firehawk? As new, manuals, boxed etc.

Punkster- Thanks for the offer- but it would have to be the 500X- If I decide to trade- I am eagerly awaiting the firmware upgrade.  I hope Line 6 ships more out soon, as more people on this forum would help, as the only real practical information for this unit comes from users..... at this time.

Punkster- Thanks for the offer- but it would have to be the 500X- If I decide to trade- I am eagerly awaiting the firmware upgrade.  I hope Line 6 ships more out soon, as more people on this forum would help, as the only real practical information for this unit comes from users..... at this time.

No problem Bond19 I too will end up with a HD500X (as I have a DT25 as well) and the Firehawk (as it is easy to use). I have recorded a couple of albums just using the FX100. Cheers

Thanks for the words, all.

I've spent the last few days playing with Pod Farm rather than my 500x - the video that wilson69978 was helpful as were the post here.  I think I'll take the plunge and will report thoughts in the next few weeks.

Have a good night, all!

This is my biggest issue. Bumping a lower switch while attempting a back row switch has hung me out a couple of times. I am in the process of creating a "riser" maybe out of tubing, with an in-fill, that will fit over the rear switches and give them a little extra height. When I get it developed, I will post. Yes, I like the fuctionality, and sound of the Firehawk enough to explore a work-around for this problem.

This is my biggest issue. Bumping a lower switch while attempting a back row switch has hung me out a couple of times. I am in the process of creating a "riser" maybe out of tubing, with an in-fill, that will fit over the rear switches and give them a little extra height. When I get it developed, I will post. Yes, I like the fuctionality, and sound of the Firehawk enough to explore a work-around for this problem.

I am exploring the idea of a 2 pc sleeve with rounded top to fit snug over each of the upper buttons- the top would be rounded out, for accidental side access, and the front would have a "cave" to allow the color of the effect to glow out of it. it would be attached to the base of the button with a set screw.  I work at a machine shop, so this all could happen.

I am exploring the idea of a 2 pc sleeve with rounded top to fit snug over each of the upper buttons- the top would be rounded out, for accidental side access, and the front would have a "cave" to allow the color of the effect to glow out of it. it would be attached to the base of the button with a set screw.  I work at a machine shop, so this all could happen.

When your done, post pictures...I'll order a set!

How about just putting something underneath the rear of the unit to raise it about an inch off the floor, this would increase the angle of the unit in relation to the floor and raise the top row of switches higher than the bottom row, I don't have the unit so can't try it but the only drawback I can think of is that the expression pedal might feel at a bit of a weird angle.

To try it out you could just put some books under it before thinking of a more permanent solution

The problem is the relation between the two banks of buttons, elevating the unit cannot change that. - other pods units have a step between the bottom and the top buttons- raising the height of the top buttons will allow engaging them while clearing the bottom bank.

I'm returning my Firehawk tomorrow.

While I loved having access to the older X3 amp models, the lack of flexibility with moving effects blocks in the signal chain was a deal breaker.  While it is possible to have a total of 8 simultaneous effects, effects blocks are divided into two categories: fixed blocks, and flex blocks.  Fixed blocks are fixed in place in the signal chain and are a specific type of effect (volume, wah, EQ, comp, reverb). Flex blocks can drive, mod, delay, or synth effects and can be moved around in the signal chain.  Setting delay time by tap tempo instead of milliseconds was kind of odd.

I also has a connectivity issues between my Android device and the Firehawk - I was running Firehawk remote on a Motorola Droid Turbo.  The app was an ok interface - I definitely recommend running it on a tablet rather than a phone.  As others have noted, there is a bit of  lag when switching patches and a lag with loading the presets for selection/editing from the app.

Firehawk is definitely a step in the direction I want to go in.  Maybe a future iteration of it will be a better fit for me.  

At any rate - good luck all!