Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 wild volume swings with Voicing Switch & Channel Switch

adagosto

Hello all, any ideas about this "problem"? Is this normal behavior the DT25 amp head?

This is what I'm noticing about the amp: all settings below are with Pentode, Class A. All EQ settings constant

Channel 1, Voice I: sounds good and "normal as expected volume level"....no problem

Channel 1, Voice II: same as above, slight change in tone as expected

Channel 1, Voice III: Large increase in volume. It gets too loud as compared two I and II voives IMO. Is this normal operation?

Channel 1, Voice IV: Even larger volume increase from Voice III.

Same settings as above....

Channel 2, Voice I: has equal volume to channel 1, Voice I, but the EQ curve is definitely different. Sounds thin and tinny.

Channel 2, Voice II: Significant volume boost from Voice I.

Channel 2, Voice III: has a volume DROP from Voice II, but still a fair bit louder than Voice I

Channel 2, Voice IV: seems slight louder than Voice III, but more closely matched

Are othere DT25 users observiving a similar or identical characteristic? I would say the volume spike on on Channel 2 is the most troubling to me, but at the same time inconsistent volume adjustments are also a problem. I understand the volume should probably rise slightly for each Voice increase, but not so erratically or dramatically. The other problem I have is the tone shift from Channel 1 to 2. They should not change given identical settings.

Thoughts???

Thanks!

Someone might have changed the defaults. You can reset your DT25 to its factory presets by holding down the topology switch (I, II, III, IV) and holding up the switch for the pentode/triode switch (i.e., pinching them towards each other) while powering up the DT25. Both channels should match each other afterward. You should end up with:

Voice I = Blackface Double

Voice II = Brit p-75 Bright

Voice III = Class A 30

Voice IV = Treadplate

There is a noticeable difference of volume level between these models at the same volume knob settings.

As a side note: One advantage to having an HD500X is that you can set your volume levels for whatever amps you want to use before hand. All other aspects of your tone can be preset as well.

UPDATE: I should have mentioned it takes 10-15 seconds before you release the switches when doing the reset. You will know it is done when the lights for topology come back on.

• Upvote 1

Hello all, any ideas about this "problem"? Is this normal behavior the DT25 amp head?

This is what I'm noticing about the amp: all settings below are with Pentode, Class A. All EQ settings constant

Channel 1, Voice I: sounds good and "normal as expected volume level"....no problem

Channel 1, Voice II: same as above, slight change in tone as expected

Channel 1, Voice III: Large increase in volume. It gets too loud as compared two I and II voives IMO. Is this normal operation?

Channel 1, Voice IV: Even larger volume increase from Voice III.

Same settings as above....

Channel 2, Voice I: has equal volume to channel 1, Voice I, but the EQ curve is definitely different. Sounds thin and tinny.

Channel 2, Voice II: Significant volume boost from Voice I.

Channel 2, Voice III: has a volume DROP from Voice II, but still a fair bit louder than Voice I

Channel 2, Voice IV: seems slight louder than Voice III, but more closely matched

Are othere DT25 users observiving a similar or identical characteristic? I would say the volume spike on on Channel 2 is the most troubling to me, but at the same time inconsistent volume adjustments are also a problem. I understand the volume should probably rise slightly for each Voice increase, but not so erratically or dramatically. The other problem I have is the tone shift from Channel 1 to 2. They should not change given identical settings.

Thoughts???

Thanks!

To clarify, you are using the DT25 in 'stand alone' mode? IE, plugged into the head, as opposed to using a POD linked?

Assuming your DT25 head is still 'stock' and has not been reconfigured using MIDI, channels A and B are identical.

Meaning typology I is the same on A and B.

To clarify what typology I, II, III, and IV are - they are four different amp models. You can connect the DT25 using MIDI to a computer and reconfigure the four default amp models, and if you want you can make A I-II-III-IV different amp models from B I-II-III-IV. You can also swap up the default reverb for those eight configuration options. This feature was added with the firmware update:

http://line6.com/dtv2update/

The four default amp models and their specific settings are in this thread, noted by user granding

(http://line6.com/support/user/82951-grandinq/)

http://line6.com/support/topic/972-hd500-as-dt25-controller-without-amp-modeling/?hl=default&do=findComment&comment=96602

Topology I

Amp: Blackface Double Normal

Cab: 2x12 Blackface Double

Class A/B

Pentode

Topology II

Amp: Brit P-75 Bright

Cab: 4x12 Blackback 30

Class A/B

Pentode

Topology III

Amp: Class A-30

Cab: 2x12 Silver Bell

Class A

Pentode

Topology IV

Amp: Treadplate

Cab: 4x12 Tread V-30

Class A/B

Pentode

The 63 Spring Reverb is the default reverb for all topologies.

Awesome guys, I'm making progress.  The reset did almost everything I was hoping for.  This amp head was used when I got.  Now the two channels are acting as mirrors of each other including tone, eq, modeling and volume.  So I'm in good shape.

Having said that, the volume "bump" when using the Voice II (Brit P-75 Bright) is freak'en loud.

But, now I'm onto the next challenge...I will hook up the used HD500 to it an add a new variable to the mix.  Learning how to set the volume levels is going to be key for this rig to work right.  Ultimately all I'm really going to need for this particular rig is a clean tone, the treadplate tone and the treadplate with a volume boost (for soloing).  But it sounds like I do not have a problem with this amp head (after the reset) and that's wonderful news!!!

Thank you!!!

• Upvote 1

Awesome guys, I'm making progress.  The reset did almost everything I was hoping for. 

But, now I'm onto the next challenge...I will hook up the used HD500 to it an add a new variable to the mix.  

get an AES/EBU cable for using the Line6Link! There are many options.. A standard XLR will work in the short term.

Using it linked with a POD does open up a lot of options, and should make balancing the volume jumps between the amp models much easier to handle.

Plus, you have access to all of the amp models, which have corresponding settings that you can tweak, pentode, triode, all that stuff.

One thing to keep in mind, the 'default' input setting on the HD500 doubles the input level, so if you want to make it sound - with a single amp model - closer to the way the DT25 sounds in 'stand alone' mode, set input 1 to 'guitar' and set input 2 to something else, say variax.

The caveat to that, is if you are using dual amp models, then set input 2 to 'same'.

Typically I use the 'pre' versions of the amp models when making my patches for use linked to the DT25.

They use less DSP, and allow the DT25 to handle the power amp side of things rather than digitally model it.

This is great information.  Thank you.

What I'm not clear on is this:

When using the DT25 with the HD500, what Voice setting should the DT25 be set to or does it really matter at all?  My confusion is simply this...if I'm set to a clean tone like Voice I, and then step on Program switch, let's say "D" on the HD500, which uses a Treadplate high gain setting, will it change the Voice on the amp or will it stay in Voice I and just use the HD500 amp model?  What will the amp look like at this point?

On a similar note, I have a Mesa Flux Five Overdrive pedal which I LOVE!!  I image the best way to use that pedal with the DT25 would be in front of the amp and have the amp set to Voice I (clean).

This amp will be used for my son's band (they are all HS freshmen now).  It needs to be a simple setup for them on stage, so as I add complexity to their stage setup, I need to undertsand the system perfectly so I can be able to "fix" stuff on the fly seemlessly. 

Here are my current priorities I'd liek to get sorted out.

1. Change the amp modeles of the DT25 voices per your instructions above.  I need to get the MIDI-to-USB cable first.

2. Do a factory reset of the HD500.  This unit was also used and there seems to be some goofy settings on it that don't seem to follow the manual all that well.  I figure I should start with a clean slate.

3. Figure out how to program the HD500 (using your suggetion for using the pre amp models and standard)

This is great information.  Thank you.

What I'm not clear on is this:

When using the DT25 with the HD500, what Voice setting should the DT25 be set to or does it really matter at all?  My confusion is simply this...if I'm set to a clean tone like Voice I, and then step on Program switch, let's say "D" on the HD500, which uses a Treadplate high gain setting, will it change the Voice on the amp or will it stay in Voice I and just use the HD500 amp model?  What will the amp look like at this point?

I think when you change the I-II-III-IV setting with the switch on the DT25, while linked to the HD500, that is actually only changing the topology of the amp model as selected in the HD500 - though it may be changing the topology to whatever is programmed in 'standalone mode', not sure...

Worth a test, I was wondering that today.

Easy way to find out, program the DT25 in standalone mode so all the voicings use topology I.

Then with the HD500 linked, and connected with USB to HD edit, change that I-II-III-IV switch around, and see if the corresponding value changes in the HD Edit setting.

Also, your ears will know! If it uses the topology I that is set on the DT25 it would not get louder as you changed the switch, but if it's changing the topology of the amp model as linked, then going to say, topology III or IV should result in a considerable volume increase.