Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk firmware v1.1 feature

bond19

They are aware of the lag for sure, hd500 had the same problem at launch and I believe amplifi did at some extent too, both were fixed with firmware updates.

Not sure if your aware of this but if you can somehow set up a patch to cover an entire song by switching effects on and off on the top row of buttons you obviously won't get the lag as your not switching patches just effects, also I saw some reports that if you use the normal amps and not hd switching is quicker and if the app isn't connected it's quicker also

Don't hold your breath if you expect 1.1 to fix the lag.

Quoted from elsewhere.

Development and testing of 1.1 is finished, and we're just waiting on app approval from Google and Apple. With luck, it'll be this week sometime, but it's not up to us.

The good news: Bluetooth dropout issues have been notably improved and we're adding new features: Channel Volume from the big encoder (leaked on our site), something you guys have already guessed but I can't yet confirm (that starts will "L"), and an entirely new thing I can't talk about until it's released.

The bad news: While 1.1 eliminates the weird artifacts that sometimes appear when switching from preset to preset, the switching time is still longer than we'd like. We're currently investigating possible solutions.

God only knows why Line 6 can't be bothered to inform the users on their own forum, and choose to release information on another for us to stumble across.

I could care less about the looper we may get. I just want a STABLE connection so I can edit the device and yes I want seamless patch switching. I don't understand why these 2 MAJOR ISSUES were not addressed before the release and please don't tell me you did not see them.

unfortunately, none of these items are up to us, the consumer.  Being uninformed and new to the Line 6 products, I wonder if the feature issues were the reason for all the delays in the release.

lefttygtr - I am using my Motorola Turbo to connect.  I have had no dropouts and it almost always connects back up automatically when I power on the unit.  I have an ancient Acer tablet I wish would work, but I think it is too old. 

Aside from the lag, the biggest issue I had last night a rehearsal was hitting the wrong tone (once).  I am still used to my RP500 toggling between sounds with one button.

I guess I can always take this Firehawk back and stay with my Digitech or go with the Boss.  I like the tones, but it really doesn't do anything special I need for playing live.  I do like switching tones with my phone between songs, just wish it would actually switch to the bank and button and not just "in memory".  If it completely switched to the bank and button, I would be on the correct bank to hit the next preset.  I just thought it would be sweet to have something that just hit the market, something new and cool.

Line 6 - don't get me as complaining, I just think fixing features the pros and people like myself require is the best thing for you.  You can add features to make it more "badderass" later. - 2 cents

I could care less about the looper we may get. I just want a STABLE connection so I can edit the device and yes I want seamless patch switching. I don't understand why these 2 MAJOR ISSUES were not addressed before the release and please don't tell me you did not see them.

It was basically this: We either make everyone wait [X] amount of time for a 1.1 that includes everything or drop 1.1 now with a 1.2 (or whatever) after. Either way, people will complain, but to be honest, we'd rather get some stuff out there sooner than later.

Don't hold your breath if you expect 1.1 to fix the lag.

Quoted from elsewhere.

God only knows why Line 6 can't be bothered to inform the users on their own forum, and choose to release information on another for us to stumble across.

There's no official representation from Line 6 on any forum, including this one. I'm just some dude who happens to work for Line 6 and frequents five or six forums. I post because I want to, not because it's my job.

There's no official representation from Line 6 on any forum, including this one. I'm just some dude who happens to work for Line 6 and frequents five or six forums. I post because I want to, not because it's my job.

Well maybe Line 6 should have someone who's job it is to post on the line 6 forum.

It was basically this: We either make everyone wait [X] amount of time for a 1.1 that includes everything or drop 1.1 now with a 1.2 (or whatever) after. Either way, people will complain, but to be honest, we'd rather get some stuff out there sooner than later.

Having read various issues concerning the Firehawk, I have recently cancelled a pre-order. Having read this quote from Digital_Igloo, I am glad I did.

The issue is not whether people wait longer for a 1.1 firmware that fixes some quite significant problems that Line 6 knew about before its release.

The issue is that you started selling the 1.0 version of the Firehawk with all of these known problems in the first place. This is further compounded by the lack of information afterwards. Customers deserve better service. And more respect.

When I saw this unit, I thought this was the answer to my needs. My previous multi-effects I found too slow in dialling in good tones. The units got in the way of my creativity. This looked perfect. I am sad that it isn't, at least at the moment.

What some from Line 6 really needs to come and say officially is:

We know about the lag issue.

We are working on the lag issue.

We aim to have it fixed by (specific date).

We are sorry about the lag issue.

Line 6 are not doing their reputation any good at the moment. Can't they see that's?

As the board stands, for me, it is unusable live in preset mode. What a shame. I was genuinely excited for this product.

What some from Line 6 really needs to come and say officially is:

There are two parts to the "lag issue." One deals with certain anomalies that can be audible when switching patches. This has been fixed for 1.1. The other deals with the time between pressing the switch and loading the preset. This has been improved somewhat in 1.1, we're continuing to investigate further optimizations, and are optimistic. Many people were thrilled with Firehawk FX's performance at launch, but for those who aren't, know the team is working overtime. As with every other digital product on the planet, development's done in parallel; that is, deferring new features doesn't automatically make other things happen sooner, and can in fact slow things down.

As for "released by a certain date," because our parent company is publicly traded, we're getting into trade legislation. It's literally illegal for us to promise anything ahead of time, especially timelines. Smaller, independent companies can promise the moon (and often do until the pitchforks come out), and companies with billions in cash like Apple can choose to defer revenue in favor of building months of hype. If it were up to me, we'd give you guys a day-by-day update on what's happening behind the scenes. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to do that. It's all thanks to Enron, believe it or not.

Also note that since Firehawk FX is largely dependent on a mobile app, we're at the mercy of Apple and Google's approval process, so even if we could discuss timelines, the best answer would be "about a day or two after whenever we get approval."

I've been running around music gear forums since the early days of Harmony Central in the mid 90s, and am currently active in a good half dozen. The Line 6 forums are less about armchair discussions on music technology (which I prefer) than peer-to-peer tech support, but if you guys ask the questions, someone will likely answer them to the best of their ability. Many people in our industry are uncomfortable visiting their own forums and instead choose to lurk; maybe I have a death wish.  :ph34r:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated. B)

I also appreciate and thank you for the reply. I do find it strange that there is no one from line 6 is acting officially here.

It is good to get a little insight although I politely disagree about optimisation being an ongoing process. I think the lag and the preset volume levels are core functions that people would expect to be right from the start. By all means, add bells and whistles, such as loopers later, but the basics should be sorted first.

I have tried the Boss GT-100 and Zoom G5. I have not purchased either, due to limitations that I felt were too much of a compromise (boss had a limited number of effects for a flagship model eg no echo and restrictions where you can use each effect in the chain, whereas the zoom only had 3 presents per bank and bank switching was not great). However, what both units have really fast, I would say seemless, preset changes and controlling preset volumes were both possible.

I had assumed from these older units, from competitors, that lag-less preset changes would be standard now.

I will keep an eye on the development of the Firehawk in the hope that it could be the unit that is draws me back to multi-effect units. For the time being, I will keep my money in my pocket and carry on tap-dancing on single-effects-pedal pedalboard (that includes an m5, which I love btw).

Please, by all means, feel free to convince me to part with my money in the future by making Firehawk the unit I thought it would be. I will be waiting...

Again, D.I., thanks.

"...  Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated."

I am thoroughly enjoying the FH.  The tones are great and ample and I don't have a need for the fast seamless switching so I am a happy camper.  The dropping BT from my IPOD is a bit of an issue and that fix will suit me well.  And dare I say it.....  I look forward to a looper,

Jazzmandan

There are two parts to the "lag issue." One deals with certain anomalies that can be audible when switching patches. This has been fixed for 1.1. The other deals with the time between pressing the switch and loading the preset. This has been improved somewhat in 1.1, we're continuing to investigate further optimizations, and are optimistic. 

this is all I wanted to hear, some confirmation that something is being done.

I for one, really like the unit.  I will need to beg [my local retailer here] to get an extension on returns, in writing.

Let's not beat up Digital_Igloo or any of the other Line 6 people that give us information on these topics.  Anyone from the inside posting information and answering questions is a show of support, even if it isn't something you want to hear.

I am an Electro/Mechanical Engineering Technician.  Many times we will build a machine for a production line that will do nearly everything it needs to do to make money for the company, but needs further enhancements and optimization to be fully production ready.  I have been programming for this single company for 15 years now.  My team and I still find things we can improve on for machines that have been running fine for years.  Engineering will improve their processes, we update the software to make it better.  So, I for one, understand that a company will release a product that isn't quite up to their standards, but will continue to work on correcting issues and adding features after the fact.  In my programming experience, the everyday operator is the best person to find everything you screwed up in the program.  You run a machine for weeks, pushing every button is the correct order to do something, then the normal person does something slightly out of process that send the machine into "stupid mode".

Keep up the good work guys.  Get 1.1 through the app stores so I can evaluate it and hopefully forget about taking my Firehawk back. 

• Upvote 1

Firehawk FX 1.1 update's coming this afternoon; the new app's already in iTunes. In the meantime, here's the updated manual.

tl;dr:
  • New Live Edit mode—adjust nearly all amp, cab, and effects parameters without a mobile device (or even taking your hands off the guitar)
  • New one-button looper (20 seconds)
  • New channel volume from stepped encoder
  • Improved Bluetooth performance
  • Removed artifacts when switching patches; we're still working on making it faster
  • Volume pedal now behaves properly when switching patches
  • Upvote 1

What are the HP Frequency and LP Frequency parameters on the looper? Didn't see anything in the manual.  

BTW, very excited to have a looper for free!  

Just checked the app: HP (Low Cut) goes from 5 Hz to 500 Hz; LP (High Cut) goes from 500 Hz to 20.0 kHz. They allow you to filter out high and/or low frequencies of looper playback.

<p>

Firehawk FX 1.1 update's coming this afternoon; the new app's already in iTunes. In the meantime, here's the updated manual.

tl;dr:

• New Live Edit mode—adjust nearly all amp, cab, and effects parameters without a mobile device (or even taking your hands off the guitar)
  • New one-button looper (20 seconds)
  • New channel volume from stepped encoder
  • Improved Bluetooth performance
  • Removed artifacts when switching patches; we're still working on making it faster
  • Volume pedal now behaves properly when switching patches

Definitely a step in the right direction, I still have a notice artifact on certain tones. Nothing like b4, but still present.

There are two parts to the "lag issue." One deals with certain anomalies that can be audible when switching patches. This has been fixed for 1.1. The other deals with the time between pressing the switch and loading the preset. This has been improved somewhat in 1.1, we're continuing to investigate further optimizations, and are optimistic. Many people were thrilled with Firehawk FX's performance at launch, but for those who aren't, know the team is working overtime. As with every other digital product on the planet, development's done in parallel; that is, deferring new features doesn't automatically make other things happen sooner, and can in fact slow things down.

As for "released by a certain date," because our parent company is publicly traded, we're getting into trade legislation. It's literally illegal for us to promise anything ahead of time, especially timelines. Smaller, independent companies can promise the moon (and often do until the pitchforks come out), and companies with billions in cash like Apple can choose to defer revenue in favor of building months of hype. If it were up to me, we'd give you guys a day-by-day update on what's happening behind the scenes. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to do that. It's all thanks to Enron, believe it or not.

Also note that since Firehawk FX is largely dependent on a mobile app, we're at the mercy of Apple and Google's approval process, so even if we could discuss timelines, the best answer would be "about a day or two after whenever we get approval."

I've been running around music gear forums since the early days of Harmony Central in the mid 90s, and am currently active in a good half dozen. The Line 6 forums are less about armchair discussions on music technology (which I prefer) than peer-to-peer tech support, but if you guys ask the questions, someone will likely answer them to the best of their ability. Many people in our industry are uncomfortable visiting their own forums and instead choose to lurk; maybe I have a death wish.  :ph34r:

The 1.1 update doesn't seem to have addressed the audible noise I get when switching from a distortion tone to a clean tone. If I play and hold a chord/note on the distortion preset and switch to the clean, it sounds as if a new note is being played instead of a smooth transition where only the decay of the previous note is heard.

It sounds fine if I toggle my distortion effect on/off within a preset...kinda limits diversity though. I have to press two buttons at the same time to go from distortion to clean w/chorus.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Everyone will be experiencing this, and I doubt that a firmware update can change it. The technical design of the device permits ONE preset to be applied to the incoming signal at any moment. If you choose to change presets while holding a chord/note, you will inevitably hear a brief interruption in the sound while the new preset is being loaded followed by the sound of the new preset being applied to the chord/note being held.

You would need another device to get the result you want, one that can retain the application of the previous preset to the sustaining chord/note while also applying the new preset to any new chord/note. The Firehawk cannot do that.

The solution (or workaround, if you prefer) is to avoid changing presets while sustaining chords/notes.

Silverhead, so what you are saying - in your opinion, the lag issue will never go away when switching between presets on the Firehawk, because if you get rid of the lag, you get rid of the noise in transition between the 2 patches.

You make a good point "bond19". I really can't believe how good the Firehawk sounds. I have been using DigiTech for 20 years and the Firehawk is my first venture outside the relationship. I'm pleasantly surprised and I think Line 6 will address these minor issues and yield a great product after a few more updates. Thank you both for the feedback.

I don't think Chivajn was speaking about lag. He was talking about sustaining notes/chords using the sound of the previous preset after switching presets. He's noting that the sound of sustaining notes changes after you switch presets. That's what won't change.

There will inevitably be some interruption (lag) in the sound while the device switches presets in its working memory. I am saying that this lag will never be zero ms. I am not saying that Line 6 won't be able to reduce it to a non-zero level that will not be noticeable to the human ear. That's what they are working on and I expect they will be able to improve the lag so that it is (nearly) non-detectable.

Just flashed my Firehawk FX to the new update. Now when I change patches with my JT Variax connected the model/tuning on the variax doesn't change to the stored preset. Also the tap function appears to not be working. Anyone else using a JT Variax have any issues like this with the new update?

Okay, so the "Tap Tempo LED" option was deselected in my app for some reason (updated it before the FX). Anyway that fixed the tap tempo flashing light issue. Variax settings are still not changing with the presets as before.

I kinda think this is a problem with the update. I've tried it twice, but still no luck. Double checked the app and, for the presets I'm working with, the option to control the variax with the firehawk is selected so I'm at a loss. Worked great before. I need to go from acoustic to electric and back again within some of the songs I play so I guess I'll go back to the old version for now until Line 6 fixes it or someone proves I'm an idiot (which is very likely) :)

I just recently got  a JVT59 and am now using it with my firehawk, which is updated to 1.1- I see the model changes on all the patches on the variax screen whether it is an acoustic guitar or a distorted guitar in drop d- So as far as I can see it is working fine. By the way, this is my first Variax, and man am i loving just strumming on one of those simulated acoustics!!

I did the update via Bluetooth. Left, came back it was done. Read the post update section, unpaired, then re-pair'd the bluetooth ( I get the sense from reading other posts that this is a step that is overlooked) and viola! Was able to operate looper, and live edit function...these will require some practice. Adjusting parameters with the volume pedal takes a steady foot. ?Does Live Edit only work when the APP is not running, or is this my imagination? AS soon as I quit the App I was able to get in to Live Edit mode.

Here is what knocks me out. I may be an old hick, but the idea that Line6 can engineer  functions as complex as either the looper or live edit, make space for it in the existing hardware ,and ship it to us as an update to me is incredible.

Can't wait to see what is down the road.

Possibly the looper was always in the works, and the hardware was designed in such a way to allow for further expansion- processing speed and memory Have come a long way and dropped in price over the last few years  (since the HD500X). 

Adjusting parameters with the volume pedal takes a steady foot?

Here is what knocks me out. I may be an old hick, but the idea that Line6 can engineer functions as complex as either the looper or live edit, make space for it in the existing hardware, and ship it to us as an update to me is incredible.

IIRC, you can press [^] or [v] while in Live Edit mode to dial in fine values. The expression pedal is for coarse values.

Features were culled directly from IdeaScale. Although sometimes it's difficult to realize a certain feature request with an existing product (or impossible, if it requires a hardware change), IdeaScale is directly informing future products; sometimes, to a ridiculous degree.

I just recently got a JVT59 and am now using it with my firehawk, which is updated to 1.1- I see the model changes on all the patches on the variax screen whether it is an acoustic guitar or a distorted guitar in drop d- So as far as I can see it is working fine. By the way, this is my first Variax, and man am i loving just strumming on one of those simulated acoustics!!

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've also been looking at getting a jtv-59 so I'm curious to know your thoughts about it, obviously the acoustic sounds are a big draw but could I potentially replace my fender telecaster with it live? I love the tele sound and I have seymour duncan quarter pounders fitted which sound awesome but the possibilities with the variax are very tempting, like being able to switch to a les Paul for solo's