Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk firmware v1.1 feature

bond19

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've also been looking at getting a jtv-59 so I'm curious to know your thoughts about it, obviously the acoustic sounds are a big draw but could I potentially replace my fender telecaster with it live? I love the tele sound and I have seymour duncan quarter pounders fitted which sound awesome but the possibilities with the variax are very tempting, like being able to switch to a les Paul for solo's

I just got the JTV-59 on the Memorial day weekend, so I have not had a lot of time with it.  I updated it to the latest firmware, and downloaded workbench HD.  But from what I can see, once you have your guitar models included in your patches on the firehawk, you are set.  I did notice that there was no lag time when switching between the acoustic guitar patches in bank # 28 when using the variax, and did I mention they sound amazing!  I cannot really answer your question about the sounds of the virtual tele vs a real one, but from what I have read, with the tweaking you can do on workbench HD, you can atain the sound you are looking for with a bit of tweaking.   I just use Lester 1 for everything, except acoustic stuff right now.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've also been looking at getting a jtv-59 so I'm curious to know your thoughts about it, obviously the acoustic sounds are a big draw but could I potentially replace my fender telecaster with it live? I love the tele sound and I have seymour duncan quarter pounders fitted which sound awesome but the possibilities with the variax are very tempting, like being able to switch to a les Paul for solo's

Disclaimer: I don't own a jtv59 yet but I've spent a lot of time with one and I'm a total convert. That said I don't think the sims capture the true essence of the twangier models (strat tele ric etc). While they come damn close I think the metallic clank that makes teles great is from the magnetic field itself. Piezo just can't do that because of physics.

Then again I could say SD quarter pounders while awesome are about as close to a tele as a variax so you might loooove it!

A former teleholic turned variax-iac

Mcbeddal, I have a JTV-59 and recently got a Firehawk FX. I have never owned a Tele but did have a strat for awhile and currently own a Gibson Les Paul and the Variax is a good sim of both. I can tell you that the pairing of these two pieces of equipment takes what I can do live to a new level! I love starting a song out with a Guild 12 string then, by steeping on one switch, changing to a distorted Les Paul and maybe something different for a solo. Another cool feature is the ability to store a tuning within a patch. I play in church and the worship leader usually changes the keys of songs to make them easier to sing. I just set my Firehawk/JTV up for the set list and save the correct tuning with the song patches so I never have to mess with a capo. The other guitar players pack in their amps, pedals, and capos. They have to set everything up and mic their amps. I just hookup my Firehawk and run straight out to the sound board. They just shake their heads and I just smile :) I get compliments on my tone from people in the audience and, more importantly, the other guitarists. My JTV-59 feels very similar to my Les Paul playing wise and the real pickups on the 59 are very nice as well. Not sure the Variax is for everyone but, for me, it's an outstanding piece of gear especially paired with the Firehawk.

Some other features of the 1.1 update for Firehawk that I've noticed is that the unit now saves the output level (big knob) that you had dialed in and the patch you had selected when you power it off and back on. Before the update it would always return to patch 1A and the default output level. Thanks, Line 6, the update is great!

I'm hoping to get my firehawk this week, literally cannot wait now, everything seems to be coming together with the updates, thanks to all for the input about the variax, I'm definitely gonna step up my search for one now (just really wanted a gold one)

Yeah I ordered the Firehawk with Andertons like yourself back in February I think, I haven't had an email about delivery or anything yet but as you know the website says they'll have them tomorrow (slightly annoying as it's my first day back at work and I had the whole of last week off, sods law)

I cancelled my first order when it went back to 29/5/15.

Their site put availability back to 1/6/15 last Thursday. Knocked back just 3 days this time, seems so precise compared to the previous whole month steps. I reordered hoping they will actually show up this time.

Anyway, fingers crossed for both of us eh?