Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bank Up/Down Button

kinglerch

I don't know how this relates to my job with engineering, computers, programming stacks, games with invert y axis, remote controls, etc...but for me the bank-up / bank down buttons seem absolutely swapped to me.

With a mouse you move it down to go through your information, from the beginning to the end. Pushing the down arrow on the keyboard goes down through the information, excel spreadsheet, whatever. You push the up arrow to go back to the beginning....but not on the HD500X.

Pushing the upper button to increase the bank number and the lower button to reduce the bank number, seems completely opposite to me. Is there a way to swap these?

no

*** and while I think, that in terms of a computer, even when using the EDIT software, 1 starts at the top and 16 is at the bottom so the arrows are backwards. I use the instrument in terms of regular life. Which means, if I am on number one and want to go to number 2, I have to go up. Computer programming aside, numbers go up in value. Use the up button. 

Computer code is written. In America, when writing, you start at the upper left and you write to the right and then down a row starting on the left again. That is why you are thinking 1 at the top, 16 at the bottom. 

There's nothing wrong with that. 

I don't know how this relates to my job with engineering, computers, programming stacks, games with invert y axis, remote controls, etc...but for me the bank-up / bank down buttons seem absolutely swapped to me.

With a mouse you move it down to go through your information, from the beginning to the end. Pushing the down arrow on the keyboard goes down through the information, excel spreadsheet, whatever. You push the up arrow to go back to the beginning....but not on the HD500X.

Pushing the upper button to increase the bank number and the lower button to reduce the bank number, seems completely opposite to me. Is there a way to swap these?

I don't think there is a way to change this function. I have not come across it in the manuals.

Just another thing you have to adjust to.

Yeah, my first inclination was to move up to the top of the list, which would be lower numbers and to move down to the bottom of the list, the higher numbers. If I knew of a way to change it, I would too. I don't write software but it seems like it could be a global option with a firmware update. Not a major thing but it would be nice.

• Upvote 1

I am just glad the HD500 has bank up down switches. If you want to pull your hair out borrow a friends Roland GR55 and try to bank up and down on that thing lol! I find the layout of the HD pretty intuitive and the only time I have problems switching things on it is when I am really tired.Like yesterday at a talent night I host.I damn near fell on to a female singer whilst switching patches on my HD500 /GR55 combo lol! I needs to take longer naps.

I am just glad the HD500 has bank up down switches. If you want to pull your hair out borrow a friends Roland GR55 and try to bank up and down on that thing lol! I find the layout of the HD pretty intuitive and the only time I have problems switching things on it is when I am really tired.Like yesterday at a talent night I host.I damn near fell on to a female singer whilst switching patches on my HD500 /GR55 combo lol! I needs to take longer naps.

My previous rig didn't do banks and setlists. It did numbers. 

Could you imagine on the hd500 trying to remember 1 through 512. Where is my rock echo, is it 069 or is it 007? 

128 slots on my distortion unit. 200 on my fx unit. 200 more because I had two of them. 

Midi controllers made it a little easier, select 001 on the pedalboard and it is programmed to select 016 on one unit and 040 on another. But I still needed to know the 256 slots on my pedalboard.

But it is certainly easier to have those exact settings programmed in so that they can be recalled exactly as you need them. Instead of old analog gear where you dial in your sound and then are afraid to ever touch a knob again because you know you will never get back that same sound. 

Yeah, my first inclination was to move up to the top of the list, which would be lower numbers and to move down to the bottom of the list, the higher numbers. If I knew of a way to change it, I would too. I don't write software but it seems like it could be a global option with a firmware update. Not a major thing but it would be nice.

I think this would be a nice (and easy) option to add. Is there a place I can suggest this?

There was some internal discussion over this years ago. In the end, we showed both methods to a bunch of people and they overwhelmingly preferred the up arrow to select the next bank of presets.

This may be, depending on the people. But this is opposite to how any software program, tv guide, phone app, etc works. Down always indicates the "next" one in the series or list. So unless you think of the banks numbered in a list from 16 at the top to 1 at the bottom, the HD500X buttons are indeed swapped.

In any event, it would be a nice customization to choose which direction.

• Upvote 1

Yup, I totally agree with this as well.  Easy thing to over come  but I felt it was backwards as well when I first got it.  I would certainly swap it too if I could.

But the HD500 is not software. It is a physical device (hardware) that is used for musical stuff. 

And if I want to go up in value, why would I click a down button. 

Because that's the trend that everything is going these days.  Most people expect to move forward in their information by pushing the down button, scroll, click, whatever.  Gotta stick with the times.  If your interface does not adhere to certain standard design features that has become culture wide then people are going to think it clumsy and not intuitive.

But the HD500 is not software. It is a physical device (hardware) that is used for musical stuff. 

It is only being suggested as an option. No need to change anything if you like it the way it is.

If you think of it like an increase in value, then your way is correct. If you think of your banks as a list, then my way is correct. I just think that if people are using it along side Line6 Edit, pushing the down button to go up the list is odd.

But all we are asking for is the choice, not to change it for everyone.

If you think of it like an increase in value, then your way is correct. If you think of your banks as a list, then my way is correct. I just think that if people are using it along side Line6 Edit, pushing the down button to go up the list is odd.

But all we are asking for is the choice, not to change it for everyone.

Yup, It's counter intuitive especially when HD Edit has you scrolling down to increase your bank like everything else.  You wouldn't think an option to invert the functionality of those two buttons would be too difficult.  I voted for it.

My previous rig didn't do banks and setlists. It did numbers. 

Could you imagine on the hd500 trying to remember 1 through 512. Where is my rock echo, is it 069 or is it 007? 

128 slots on my distortion unit. 200 on my fx unit. 200 more because I had two of them. 

Midi controllers made it a little easier, select 001 on the pedalboard and it is programmed to select 016 on one unit and 040 on another. But I still needed to know the 256 slots on my pedalboard.

But it is certainly easier to have those exact settings programmed in so that they can be recalled exactly as you need them. Instead of old analog gear where you dial in your sound and then are afraid to ever touch a knob again because you know you will never get back that same sound.

My Ipad setlist maker app will change them both with a finger tap and I did that for a while when I rolled round wth both my HD and my GR55. I put th GR55 away for the most part.The Talk Box has taken its spot!

This may be, depending on the people. But this is opposite to how any software program, tv guide, phone app, etc works. Down always indicates the "next" one in the series or list.

Ah, but once out of the 'guide' on a TV remote the actual channel up and down button follows the 'physical' up and down like the HD500.

Mind you I have used Japanese equipment where rotary knobs seem to react the opposite to Western thinking, but they often give an option in a menu to change the behaviour, so it would be fine to have default as is and an option for opposite behaviour.

I am just glad the HD500 has bank up down switches. If you want to pull your hair out borrow a friends Roland GR55 and try to bank up and down on that thing lol!

The Sanpera pedal that goes with my Peavey Vypyr VIP II amp has 4 buttons in a square shape. It requires you to press both the A and B patch buttons at the same time to go into bank select mode, the choosing which bank you want (A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4), then finally picking which of the 4 patches in that bank you want. And to top it off, if you wait more than a few seconds to choose the bank after pressing A&B together, it cancels bank select mode.

I ended up getting used to it when it was all I had, but I'm so much happier with the way the PODs work.

If you think of patch or bank numbers, number up or down, the current logic feels more natural. Instead, if you think of "forward" or "backwards/rewind", then the opposite functionality might be better, imo. I think I would choose the current one, if I had a choise.

Well from all of this the OP has definitely proven his point.  Being given a choice of how those buttons work would be best.  There are obviously enough people on both sides of the fence on this.  No one way is really correct but the option would certainly be nice.