Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

'boost on' vs 'boost off' (using DT.EDIT)

ColonelForbin

Sorry guys, I accidentally deleted the entire thread!!! I was using my phone when I messed up, so I was able to go back and copy everything I had written, and the responses...

----------------------------------------------

I spent today updating the firmware on my DT25 amps, and while messing around with the MIDI editing software, DTEDIT, discovered something called "boost on" and "boost off" - it is an option when configuring the DT25 and DT50 for standalone mode. The DTEDIT software says "DT50 only" under this setting, but that  is inaccurate.

This boost on/off works on both the DT25 and the DT50. HOWEVER:

- On the DT50 the boost is handled by a 12ax7 tube.

- On the DT25 the boost is digital.

AND

Just looked at the HD500 edit again, to confirm - there is NO setting on the POD / HD500 that corresponds to the "boost on" / "boost off" setting that was added with the DT25/50 2.0 firmware update!!! 

Proof for the folks who have been saying all along, that there is a difference between the DT amps in standalone mode, vs linked with an HD500, they were quite correct. I totally missed it, never bothered to update my DT firmware until today! I never took the time to listen to the difference.. Good ears lads and ladies! :)

See, it turns out, this boost is ON in most of the amp models, by default!!! It probably sounds way better on the DT50, since it's a 12ax7 tube. I did various A/B comparisons of the boost on and off, in the DT25, and prefferd it 'off' -  so I reconfigured mine to have the digital boost 'off' in ALL the amp models I chose.

No clue what that means for using the HD500 linked. I might need to set up both of my DT25's, link one to my HD500, and run the other in standalone. Use the MIDI, configure 8 different amp model options, turn off boost in all. Then choose those same amp models in the HD500, and compare. With the tone, gain and volumes set the same, and the input on the HD500 set to single, IE, input 1 guitar, input 2 variax, they should sound almost the same. My hypothesis is that the amp models with boost on by default will not match their L6Linked counterparts until the boost is turned off... Will do a test and report back!!

-----------------------

DT 25 'standlone' (firmware v2.0) Amp models with "Boost ON" by default:

- Gibtone 185

- Tweed Bassman Normal

- Tweed Bassman Bright

- Divided 9/15

- Phd Motorway

- Class A-30

- Brit J-45 Normal

- Brit J-45 Bright

- Brit Plexi 100 Normal

- Brit Plexi 100 Bright

- Brit P-75 Normal

- Brit P-75 Bright

- Brit J-800

- Bomber Uber

- Treadplate

- Angel F-Ball

- Line 6 Elektrik

- Line 6 Doom

DT 25 'standlone' (firmware v2.0) Amp models with "Boost OFF" by default:

- Blackface Double Normal

- Blackface Double Vib

- Hiway 100

- Super O

- Blackface 'Lux Normal

- Blackface 'Lux Vib

- Class A-15

- Flip Top Bass

• Upvote 1

BrazzyYesterday, 09:51 PM

That's a great post Colonel. Thanks for doing all that research and sharing it. I toyed around with that setting just a little with my DT50 and found it usable.

----------------

Thanks!! My day off from work is Monday's this month, and I had the house to myself all day today :) It was awesome!!!

Played pretty much all day, with the amp cranked up loud, from around 8am to 8pm.

Another trick I discovered, is to set one of the preamp slots on the DT25 to 'no amp', for use with the JTV acoustic models.

You still choose the topology; and you can use the boost if needed. Way better sound than running the acoustic models through any of the preamps! Not as clean / clear as going through a full range speaker - but a good way to make it work! I am going to test that, and listen to the signal as sent through the XLR to the mixer, out to an L2t; curious to see how well it sends the signal to the full range PA system.

I kept trying to find ways to split my signal so I could send the JTV acoustics direct to the mixer; if this works well it will still benefit using the Link - define one set of the voicings as the "no amp model", and then in the HD500 choose no amp model, and I would guess that should do pretty much the same thing - direct tap to the power amp. That way you can still run some EQ and compressor or whatever to shape the JTV acoustic tones a little. Worth a shot!

--------

CipherHostYesterday, 11:25 PM

I thought I could sneek into the MIDI of my HD500X and find out what the boost settings were for the new models. I suppose we could infer some of them from the Colonels findings, but I thought I would try and see myself.

When I send a CC 11 (HD Amp Select) with a value of 0 thru 30 on FS1, DT Edit responds by displaying the correct amp in real time according to the "DT25 Amplifiers - MIDI Implementation Chart". So I just kept increasing the value one at a time thinking the new amps might show themselves. No dice.

When I tried to CC 12 (HD Amp Select with Defaults), DT Edit did not respond at all. Bummer.

Does anyone here know if the DT Edit software has to be updated/rewritten to read the new amps or am I just poking in the wrong place?

I was using DTeditOSX.

---------------

Did a quick test, connected two DT25 1x12 combos, side by side. With my JTV59, using the mags only, ran the 1/4" to one of the DT25's, and the VDi to the HD500x, linked to the other DT25.

It seems the 'boost' setting is similar to the input doubling that occurs on the HD500 when you set the input 1 to something (guitar) and input 2 to 'same'. Using the Treadplate model, with the gain, levels and tone controls in equal positions on both, got extremely similar results.

This is with the Treadplate loaded onto the DT25 in standalone mode, set to topology IV, and boost set 'off'.

On the HD500, it's important to note, that using the 'pre' model vs the 'full' model yields RADICALLY different results.

To make them match, use the PRE model. I set the input 1 to variax and input 2 to guitar, so the signal is 'single'.
ALSO, the default L6link setting is "left/right", which also doubles / boosts the signal. Setting this to 'left' (or right) only is also required to get the tones to match.

Once I did all that, it was quite tasty!! Psyched to try this idea on some of the other amp models, see how they sound. Also recorded what I was playing, so will listen to that and A/B the sounds. Need to still test if changing the onboard DT25 mic model also impacts the XLR out when using Line6 Link. I am pretty sure it does.

Cheers! 

• Upvote 1