Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good practice amp for hd500x

Antman74

It would sound better thru a bass or keyboard amp than the battery amp unless you plan to busk with it.

If it is for home a pair of 5" recording monitors will sound great and you can playback playlists as well as mix your own stuff on them . Like your headphones they will give you a full sound but in the room too.

Depends on your needs, How good you are musically, but decide what you intend to do musically in the next year and then look at the current scene and invest in gear that will forfill both. Look also for the longterm goals 5 or more years time.

The Beam seems to be Blackstar's version of the Amplifi, albeit more limited in what it can do. The Fly 3 is a tiny little mini amp...and from it's description, seems to have limited use. In fact, I don't see why it exists at all...but that's just me.

Either way, neither of these amps are likely to give you anything that approaches decent results, as niether of them have an FX loop, which means that you'll be running the POD into another pre-amp (and with the Beam, a whole bunch of onboard fx), which is going to seriously alter the way your patches sound. Both of those amps are intended to be stand alone units, near as I can tell.

The POD really needs a bigger amp...something more suited to live use, whether it's a larger combo, or a power amp + cabinet rig, etc. 

Plugging a POD into a modeling amp will make it extremely frustrating to get a usable tone...and kind of redundant. If you are looking for something portable I have a VOX Soundbox Mini and use it when I can't lug my tube amp around. It works on battery and has a flat keyboard setting that works perfectly with my POD HD500.

Info about it is here:

http://www.voxamps.com/soundboxmini

• Upvote 1

I recently bought a Fender Mustang III. It does sound good on its own without the HD500. But it has also an effects loop and you could connect the POD with the 4CM. I tried it for a quick test and it sounded pretty good. I think with some tweaking you could get a great tone out of it. Even if I believe you would end up playing it without the POD like it happend to me ;-)

Hi

Sorry to interrupt your thread, Just a quick one...

Kopfschmerzen (ore anyone else have used the CM30) - I've bin looking at the Roland CM30 too, as i need a small practice amp to bring with me when traveling. Thought of taking my old XT and my Variax with me. Even as a "small rig" when playing with some friends, Leaving the rack with my HD Pro and power amp home.  

I understand it works for acoustic sounds and voice, all most 5 stars every ware. But how does it handle if it moves into the crunch/dist territory? I play rock and blues and a little jazz, no have dist  

Kopfschmerzen (ore anyone else have used the CM30) - I've bin looking at the Roland CM30 too, as i need a small practice amp to bring with me when traveling. Thought of taking my old XT and my Variax with me. Even as a "small rig" when playing with some friends, Leaving the rack with my HD Pro and power amp home.  

I understand it works for acoustic sounds and voice, all most 5 stars every ware. But how does it handle if it moves into the crunch/dist territory? I play rock and blues and a little jazz, no have dist  

CM-30 is a Monitor, meaning it plays equally any sound that comes from your processor. You rely on POD to generate crunch/dist sound you like, and CM-30 just makes it louder.

Before that I had a small practice amp, but found that it lacked low end. That was OK for guitar, but I didn't hear bass and kick drum from a backing track. And it was difficult to jam with a friend who plugged his bass into my POD, I couldn't hear him well. With CM-30 I have bass sound in place. Perfect for me. Again, I'm a bedroom (or kitchen) player ;)

So, now I'm a Roland CM30 owner. First test went great... A bit brighter than my ordinary speakers but absolutly OK.  Hope it will work even if it will be in the tv room :-) Thanks for the reply.

/Per

Thanks

I mainly practice late at night so use headphones. But I'd like to play "out loud" in the hous eand wanted a small lower volume amp to use (not to gig with). I though the Fly3 or Beam would be ideal but cannot get to a shop to try anything. The Fly3 with ext cabinet works as  PC speakers so would this not sound ok if the HD500X was plugged into it?. Basically I'll need anything undr 20 watts max....not too expensive and looks cool

Believe it or not... 

Depending on what you consider a 'practice' amp and how much volume you need, 

Just run down to Radio Shack and buy yourself a set or $20 computer speakers. 

I use CM-30 as a computer speaker also (thanks to the built in mixer) and I can't be happier. Sound quality is soooo much better... No matter what sound source, $200 speaker is always better than $20 speaker, for music it's just more important.

I use CM-30 as a computer speaker also (thanks to the built in mixer) and I can't be happier. Sound quality is soooo much better... No matter what sound source, $200 speaker is always better than $20 speaker, for music it's just more important.

Abso-frickin-lutely. 

But, that is why I prefaced it with - depending on what he means by 'practice'. 

exactly how i use my pod at home, well saying that, i connect the hd500 a few ways to different Amps although funny enough i get good results plugging my HD500 in to my MG16XU Mixer and the Mixer into either My Home Theatre System or an Logitech Z506 surround sound speaker system they both have subs for good bottom end, i was shocked how good it sounded really hifi quality.

even connecting the HD500 from its S\PDIF out directly to my home theatre system sounds good i can use the effects built in the theatre amp to enhance the sound further example have it in dolby or remixed to virtual 5.1 add forest,cave,stadium effects etc, and i got the home theatre system from a carboot sale foor £15 ! lol cant go wrong really for home use ..

Hi

I better clarify myself... Practice for me is when sitting home or at my girlfriends house and run scales or practice on backing tracks to some nice Blues or Rock grove. Or try to learn a new song. The alternative to the CM30 would be a powered monitor, but I liked the idea of the build in mixer, mic and stereo inputs and a aux as this gave me the possibility to also practice with friends and not have to carry the rest of my rig. 

I really like it - Small, portable, a good sound and a good functionality... Really good advice.

//Per

Also for me...practice is scales...learning tabs and composing my own stuff...anything really. I usually use headphones as (with 2 small kids) I have to practice late (often 11pm - 2am slot). However, I wanted to spend say up to £300 max on a small amp so I can (if I wanted to) play louder for myself/family to hear. The Blackstar amps appeal to me. Fly3 with ext cabinet is the cheapest option but also didn't want to waste my money on something that will make the HD500x sound bad. I have a separate Big Muff pedal so I could also use the amp without the pod for ease/quick practice sessions. It has to be smallish and not take up too much room.

Without being able to get to a shop to test anything out there also seems to be no youtube videos/info on anyone playing their HD500X through any small amp?.

I thought I'd throw the idea on here to see if anyone is in the same situation.

Fly 3: No. Have both a HD500 and a Fly 3. Don't do it. (Of course you CAN, results may differ)

I suggest buying a Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 Power Amp Pedal if you already have an old guitar cabinet lying around. It works great and sounds great. Plus: the Pedal is tiny and can be transported in the gigbag.

Also for me...practice is scales...learning tabs and composing my own stuff...anything really. I usually use headphones as (with 2 small kids) I have to practice late (often 11pm - 2am slot). However, I wanted to spend say up to £300 max on a small amp so I can (if I wanted to) play louder for myself/family to hear. The Blackstar amps appeal to me. Fly3 with ext cabinet is the cheapest option but also didn't want to waste my money on something that will make the HD500x sound bad. I have a separate Big Muff pedal so I could also use the amp without the pod for ease/quick practice sessions. It has to be smallish and not take up too much room.

based on your budget and requirements I suggest you look at the Blackstar HT-1 1X8 tube combo.  This little 1 watt tube amp should be just what you are looking for.  You can plug the 1/4 out from your POD into the 1/4 MP3/Line In or if you just want to plug into it direct with your Big Muff you can leave the POD at home.  Either way you have a nice little tube amp from a great company and it's in your budget.

based on your budget and requirements I suggest you look at the Blackstar HT-1 1X8 tube combo.  This little 1 watt tube amp should be just what you are looking for.  You can plug the 1/4 out from your POD into the 1/4 MP3/Line In or if you just want to plug into it direct with your Big Muff you can leave the POD at home.  Either way you have a nice little tube amp from a great company and it's in your budget.

Thanks

Would the HD500X sound ok though plugged in through the MP3 port?. or can i say plug my guitar into the 500X and then use a normal guitar cable out into the amp?. I've never used the 500X on anything other than headphones. That Blackstar amp looks perfect though.

Would the HD500X sound ok though plugged in through the MP3 port?. or can i say plug my guitar into the 500X and then use a normal guitar cable out into the amp?. I've never used the 500X on anything other than headphones. That Blackstar amp looks perfect though.

Actually using the MP3/Line in is the preferred connection for the POD.  That bypasses the internal preamp in the HT-1 and lets the POD do all the work with the HT-1 providing the tube power amp and speaker.  If you don't want to use the POD then you can just plug your guitar into the input on the HT-1 and use it as a stand alone amp.  You would play your backing tracks by plugging your player into the MP3 input on the POD.

Actually using the MP3/Line in is the preferred connection for the POD.  That bypasses the internal preamp in the HT-1 and lets the POD do all the work with the HT-1 providing the tube power amp and speaker.  If you don't want to use the POD then you can just plug your guitar into the input on the HT-1 and use it as a stand alone amp.  You would play your backing tracks by plugging your player into the MP3 input on the POD.

Nice one

This may be where Kinslaya is going wrong on the Fly3?

Fly 3: No. Have both a HD500 and a Fly 3. Don't do it. (Of course you CAN, results may differ)

I suggest buying a Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 Power Amp Pedal if you already have an old guitar cabinet lying around. It works great and sounds great. Plus: the Pedal is tiny and can be transported in the gigbag.

No, I think he is right.  It's not ever going to be suitable for the POD simply because of it's size and design.  It's just too small and underpowered to be effective, IMHO.

Nice one

Actually, no, I tried it solely through the MP3/Line In. But I just didn't like it. I love my Fly 3, but it's just a little, tiny practice amp. And I don't know if OP would like the sound of it. He must try to really know ;)

I also have a Blackstar HT1R Head and HT5R Head. And both were not that good through the MP3/Line Input. It just didn't work for me.

What worked: Using the HT1 as "real" Clean Amp and using the PODs Distortion Pedals. Sounded very nice. OR: Using the Effects Loop Return of the HT5 and the Pre Amp models of the POD.

So whoever said in this thread that the HT1 would be a good decision for practice: I can second that.

• Upvote 1

Regarding using the HD500x through a modeling amp - while I agree there are certainly better options, maybe some don't have that option. Maybe they bought the modeling amp prior to the 500x and that's the only amp they have.  In that case, there are ways to still get a good tone:

1 - Use the amp's "manual" mode, turn off all effects and use as clean a setting as possible.  I have a VOX VT40+ amp, and this works well for it.

2 - Turn off the amp simulation in the POD so there aren't "two" competing amps working against each other.

3 - Experiment with the line/amp and pad switches on the POD to see which one sounds best. 

But yeah eventually probably get another amp :-) or a set of monitors.

I have the Blackstar Fly 3 and the ID:Core 10.

I agree with Kinslaya, the Fly 3 is pretty awesome as a stand alone battery powered thing but it is a bit underpowered for getting satisfying tone from an external unit.

The ID:Core series on the other hand are pretty awesome and are killer standalone practice amps in their own right. They also have the mp3 input that bypasses all the modeling.