Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 And PA speakes

stevevnicks

would anyone know if the POD HD500 will work with a pair of Yamaha DXR12's active PA speakers and could I get an stereo effect  just using the two speakers? or would I need to connect the HD500 to my MG16XU mixer then the Mixer to the active PA speakers to get stereo ?

I just wondering, would the HD500 sound better going through a set of Active PA speakers rather than an Guitar amp ?

The chap at the warehouse might let me take the HD500 down and test it out in the warehouse, but I cant say for sure.

these are the speakers im thinking of getting (albeit not for a while) has anyone had any exp with these Active PA speakers ?

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/dxr/features.jsp

the reason I am thinking of getting active PA speakers (well I can probs think of a few but anyway) is today I spent wasting my time swapping in and out different brands of Valves\Tubes in my Valve\Tube amps which didn't really make much difference, I don't know why but im just sure the HD500 would be much more suited for quality of sound when directly connected to some kind of PA system via the two balanced outputs for amp modelling, or am I totally wrong here?

my plan is to sell all my amps apart from my AC30CC2 and keep the pod HD500 for amp modelling and effects to a PA Setup or would I be better off keeping my amps ? .. it is nice to have a choice of amps to play around with but that's what the HD500 is for so ... I don't know lol ..

If you have your patches set up correctly and use both XLR or 1/4" outputs, you should get stereo FX through those speakers.

I have a single Yamaha Powered PA speaker (can't remember the model number) that I bought with my POD, and I think it sounds great.  It isn't even as expensive as the one you listed, mine was only $300 or so, but when I run my POD direct through that PA, or into a mixer and then to the PA, I think it sounds damn near as good as my Marshall.  It definitely sounds as good as my Marshall after mic'ing it and sending it through the PA.

If I had it to do over, I may have skipped buying the Marshall and just went with the POD and powered speaker.

thanks for link,

ha I think the second from last answer kind of backs up what the chap at the warehouse said to me when I bought the Yamaha MG16UX mixer, "if I want a top quality set of Active PA speakers at some point they stock the yamaha DXR Range"  he also said they have "never heard any PA speaker come close to them for sound quality and power" then he told me the price.

I didn't really give it much thought at the time,i just thought he would say that to just try and get another sale lol but im very tempted if my amps sell it will kind of be a trade so I hope they are as good as he beefs them up to be as I would be trading four amps and a fist full of cash :/

I would be losing out on an :

Orange Crush 35RT

Peavey VK 50 112

Peavey VK II 100W Head

Hughes & kettner Tube20

Plus probs around £380 - £420 in cash

worth the trade ?? seems a lot for just 2 speakers lol ...

thanks for link,

ha I think the second from last answer kind of backs up what the chap at the warehouse said to me when I bought the Yamaha MG16UX mixer, "if I want a top quality set of Active PA speakers at some point they stock the yamaha DXR Range"  he also said they have "never heard any PA speaker come close to them for sound quality and power" then he told me the price.

I didn't really give it much thought at the time,i just thought he would say that to just try and get another sale lol but im very tempted if my amps sell it will kind of be a trade so I hope they are as good as he beefs them up to be as I would be trading four amps and a fist full of cash :/

I would be losing out on an :

Orange Crush 35RT

Peavey VK 50 112

Peavey VK II 100W Head

Hughes & kettner Tube20

Plus probs around £380 - £420 in cash

worth the trade ??

I'd keep those amps if I were you...or sell them privately if you want, you'll do better on price. You can get a pretty damn convincing sounds out of just about any FRFR speaker(s).  And it won't cost you your first-born, plus cash to do it. There are more modestly priced options out there that will sound quite good.

Decisions, decisions... Just get a part time job (or another part time job if you already have a few) and you can keep them all. The DXR12 has a lot of good reviews. Let us know if you get them and make me jealous of how good they sound.

Cheers

its does seem quite a lot, maybe I will have a chat with him to see if he will let me take the HD500 to the warehouse and link it up with with a pair of DXR12's just to test a couple of Amp models out first.. worst he can say is "No" I guess.

thing is with summer coming up, I have a friend who owns a bit of land well a lot of land if I am honest, and summer time he has a few open air parties on his land nice old wooden barn to gig in (he had an 60's tribute band from Holland last time bloody brill)  just one big get together really and they can go on for a few days camp overs (people who know him come from all over country to his partys/get together) so to have a nice little PA system to play around with could be real fun .. 

Skip the mixer, HD500 straight to speakers is fine for stereo. I wouldn't go trading all that in, plus cash just for

those speakers, you'll severly shoot yourself in the a$$. I'd at-least hang onto the Peavey VK II 100W Head.

If you spend any time at all in these forums you will realize very quickly that everyone has their own opinion on the best way to run a POD and in all honesty, they are probably all right (well maybe not ALL).  With enough tweaking and messing around you can get some great tones from the POD with a variety of different amplification methods... HOWEVER....

In my personal experience, I have to screw around with my tones alot less to get a good sound with them running into my active PA speakers.  I chose to run my pod out to a 31 band EQ and then to my speakers to get an extra level of control on the tone that didn't use up POD resources.  The POD was designed to run direct into a computer or a PA and, in my experience, it sounds a billion times better running this way.

thinking about it they wouldn't get used much more than probs 4 maybe 6 times a year although not just with the HD500 I would use them with the Mixer to ...  

I guess i will have to think about it a bit longer before taking the plunge ...

I dont have the cash at the moment anyway, so I will have some time to think if I would rather the PA or keep the Amps . it would be nice to hear the Peavey VK II 100w head flat out this year ... so I will probs keep the VK II 100w Head if I go for the pair of DXR12's ..

thanks for advice  

yea there are a lot of choice, I am the type of person who would rather buy my products in person rather than online, there is an local PA warehouse very close to where I live, the down side is I can only buy what they have in stock which I don't mind as he matches internet prices

The DXR series are a nice bit of kit. But if you are only going to be using them 4-6 times a year,,, you might want to look at something cheaper. I've been really pleased with my Alto TS110A setup - http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts110a.

More fat for the fire...

Those are the speaker cabs I am using also and yeah, they rock.  Really good stuff for the cash.

I caved in .... and spent what i had already put away for my new speakers :/ so i now have to start saving all over again lol ... oh i make myself laff ...
I ended up buying another Guitar ...
although i felt i could not pass this up for only £200 :o
It's an mint condition 2008 Limited Edtion Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul Standard PlusTop with Certificate and hard case. (wow thats a mouthful)
the spec's look quiet impressive when i consider how much i paid ... well to me at least  heh.

IMG_0334.jpg

Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul Standard Plus Top specs

⦠   Designed and produced in close cooperation with Slash
⦠   Glued-in mahogany neck with the vintage-correct long neck tenon—typically found on the Les Pauls of the late 1950s
⦠   Neck profile patterned after the neck on Slash’s original Les Paul
⦠   Two Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro-II, open-coil humbuckers
⦠   Solid mahogany body with a highly-figured, flame maple top
⦠   Epiphone’s new LockTone stopbar/Tune-o-matic system that secures the bridge and tailpiece to the guitar even without strings, while adding as much as 20 percent more sustain
⦠   Slash’s favorite Dark Tobacco Burst finish
⦠   Nickel hardware
⦠   Machine heads with vintage tulip buttons
⦠   Authentic Slash Inspired accessories
⦠   Genuine Slash guitar picks
⦠   Custom Slash Inspired case
⦠   Certificate of authenticity
⦠   MSRP $1,464 USD

Cant wait to plug it into my HD500 tomorrow :) or might try headphones :) in a min ..heh

oh yea the machine heads have been upgraded but i can remember what the chap said they are ? he also gave me the original machine heads.

edit

the machine heads are grovers VINTAGE USA TYPE ROTOMATICS® (102 SERIES)  just checked they cost him over £70 :O

looks like i got deal of the year ...

i know this is only an Epiphone Guitar although when your not wealthy and money can be fairly hard to come by (even more so with living costs etc) i normally have no choice but to wait and hunt down the bargains i normally have to buy second hand because i just would not be able to afford to by new.

if i am honest with myself i know it will most prob's take me over a year to save the money to buy the yamaha speakers i would love to have, i am out of work due to around a year ago i was attacked and robbed in the eairly hours of the morning in my home by 4 masked men armed with metal bars and knifes, i tried to fight back but that probs why i got stabbed and hit with the metal bars, i ended up with broken ribs, 9 stapples in my head, a massive hematoma in my leg where they were bashing my legs with the metal bars because i kept trying to get back up from the floor ...i am lucky the theif'n bast!*d's didn't kill me .. the worst thing is i dont really sleep very much any more and i dont really go out its effected me mentally more than anything i think .. i thought i better exlpain why im out of work i dont want people to think im a lazy so and so heh ..

Most articles I have read have been pretty favorable about the Epi versions of their older sisters. I think a really good setup on an Epi Les Paul, and an upgrade to the pickups, and most people would be very hard pressed to tell the sonic difference between each without looking.

one thing that i have noticed or i am not to clear about since doing some research about my new guitar.

The certificate has the correct serial number although it does not have the limited run number for example : 467/2000 

i have read they only made a limited run of 2000 the Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul Standard Plus Top and 1500 of the goldtop version how true this is i am not sure

i know by the serial number it was made in china at the Qingdao plant on 2008 in the month of January although i dont know what number of the limited run the guitar is as it has not been put on the certificate ?

or am i wrong about the limited run ?

acording to http://www.guitarscollector.com/slash-guitars.html limited to 2400 value 600-1000 euros

IMG_0340.jpg

i just sussed it out ...

i am 99.9% sure i have bought a fake epiphone lol ... oh well ...

i decided to strip the old guitar and give it a clean up and replace the strings etc, when i removed the pickups alarm bells started ringing, i though HELLO these are not Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro-II, open-coil humbuckers are they? lol they look like cheap OEM type unbranded lol these dont look like pickups i would expect to find in an $1400 guitar ... would they ??

IMG_0344.jpg

then after much checking of the guitar its self, in the right light i noticed i could see (albeit only just) the join where the head joins the neck ....

it seems to me .... it has all the signs of being a fake ..

cant even trust old boi's these days lol the chap i bought it from was probs in his 60's (at a guess ) said he's been playing for about 30 years or so ...

oh well robbed again :/ .. at least it wasn't violent this time so thats a bonus :)

he told me he bought it brand new back in 2008 ... not so sure he really did now lol ... thought £200 sounded to good to be true lol :/ i have emailed him hopefully he will get back to me .. if not i will tell him he has commit fraud and i will report it to the police .. at the end of the day it is fraud, this is a fake product, which im fairly sure it is illegal to sell fake items.

other than that i guess im stuck with some firewood :/

to be fair the the build quality is fairly out standing lol ...

IMG_0347.jpg

it is an fake its been confirmed ...

the seller has just emailed me back saying sorrry he will give me my cash back ... he knew it was a fake

so just so you know they do indeed make Fake Epiphone les pauls .. you just have to know what your looking for ... which i now know.

he's trying to say i knew it was a fake which i said no you told me you bought it brand new in 2008 at which point he admitted he got stiched up with it so want to get rid of it ...

apparanty ebay is fully of fake epiphones so becarefull ..

the biggest give away is were the cut away starts to meet the neck the real epiphones have four frets to the end of the fret board where as the fakes only have 3

there are quiet a few things that you can tell if it is fake like screws not correct type, the pick ups being unbranded although they have started to fake the pickups by stamping them with fake stamp, head and neck join, which epiphone says on there guitars you would never beable to see it.

some of the fakes are near perfect these days and can be very hard to tell from the real thing.

IMG_0354.jpg

i just put an stright edge across the neck and the fret board is like a bloody sin wave lol so it will also need a complete fret dress to make it usable :/ .. thank god i am going to get my money back in a couple of hours.

at least the seller is honourable enough to give me my cash back (even though it cost me £25 running about)

if the the fret board had of been flat and not like the north sea on a stormy day i would of kept it as other than that it was fairly well built.

i am totally gutted, as i would of liked a nice little epiphone but after this ... it has put me off hunting for one second hand with so many fakes floating around :( curse of the chinese market .. most things seem to come from there that are fake .. and since the chinese have entered the whole quality control of the real items seems rubbish compaired to the days before they dominated it.

check out the owner of crimsonguitars shock at the quality of this fake Gibson the chinese have even stolen his brand name guitars and selling them wtf ??

https://youtu.be/saHmS_gOuvg

not everyone can afford an Gibson ...

although i dont like your attitude to the lessor of your spices

i do like your music (most of it) you got some fooked up sounding stuff on there lol love it though ..

but WTF is this about ? ISIS ?

wtf.jpg

• Upvote 1

not everyone can afford an Gibson ...

although i dont like your attitude to the lessor of your spices

I love me the Wilshire more than I like most LPs I've played. Gibson's got nothing on that!

I have a cat named Epiphone, her brother Gibson left us a few years ago.

i do like your music (most of it) you got some fooked up sounding stuff on there lol love it though ..

Thanks man, I've been known to fook things up sometimes.