Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alto TS112A on Sale at GC

cclement

I tested one out at GC last week and the only thing holding me back from getting one is the fact that theres no EQ control, and my wife

So your wife told you not to buy it because it didn't have an EQ control? Nice of her to look out for you like that. :D

• Upvote 1

I have been looking at those speakers, if they had them locally at that price $199 = £126.56  :o  I would deffo get a couple, as for low end on PA speakers it is probs best to add a sub at some point ..  

cheapest I can find them in uk is £229 which is $360.08 each

if I could get them at £126.56 I would be buying a pair tomorrow ! :(

can not help feeling ripped off in the UK ... jars me off .. :/  no wonder the rich keep getting richer with those profit margins !! lol

You don't need eq on your active speaker. HD500 has global eq now.

I'd much rather turn a knob than than bend over and flip through menus and figure out which frequencies I need to fiddle with.

Plus if I'm getting a speaker, I would use it for more than just my pod and guitar, as I've said previously.

I use my Altos for GR55 monitoring/ acoustic electric guitar/ HD500 FRFR/ monitors for full bands and sometimes mains. If you have done your homework on your GR55/ HD500 etc .... you dont need to fiddle with eq on your FRFR speaker . Even the exalted CLR powered cab has no eq knobs.But by all means get a powered cab with eq knobs if you find it helpful.A small mixer works better IMHO if you must have more eq.I play a lot of one nighters so I need easy setup tear down.All controls on these powered speakers are on the back they dont put eq knobs on the front. PITA to get at in the heat of battle. Thats why I make sure its right before I get to the gig. The eq in the HD500 is easier to get to than the back of a powered speaker.

I have been looking at those speakers, if they had them locally at that price $199 = £126.56  :o  I would deffo get a couple, as for low end on PA speakers it is probs best to add a sub at some point ..  cheapest I can find them in uk is £229 which is $360.08 each

can not help feeling ripped off in the UK ... jars me off .. :/  no wonder the rich keep getting richer with those profit margins !! lol

Don't forget US prices are Tax Exclusive, UK are Tax Inclusive, so the UK equivalent including 20% VAT is £126.56 * 1.2 = £151.87

Amazon UK gets you the version 2 at £225 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alto-Truesonic-TS112A-active-speaker/dp/B005FUWTJU

But that is still quite a difference.

I wonder if the really cheap price is end of line stock of version 1?

hmmm I suppose that's not to bad really, if I think along the lines of the Tax goes to helping the country, suppose that's a good thing.

I would want to use these with an Yamaha Mixer (MG16XU) and not just my HD500 how good would these sound out side compared to the Yamaha DXR12's  ?

I know the Yamaha speakers are twice the price although in the long run would the yamaha's be the way to go?

rather than trying to save money for now, would I be better off just to carry on saving ?

it is hard for me to work out because I don't have the dxr12's or the Alto TS112As to hear a side by side test to see if the yamaha's are really worth that much more ? oh and the fact I just don't know much about PA equipment (still learning)

I do know the Yamaha dxr12's use a mix of speakers as in  celestion top and eminence bottom but don't know what  the Alto TS112As are using?

I keep a 10 band MXR EQ in my rig.  It goes between the POD's out to whatever power source I'm using.  At that point, it's line level...and an incredibly powerful tool to use if needed.  I keep it on but totally flat, and boost or cut a frequency that's needed for the room.  In that configuration, it works far better than the new global.  

The 10" and 12" are both on sale at Amazon as well and I'm thinking of getting one!

http://www.amazon.com/Alto-Professional-TS112A-12-Inch-Loudspeaker/dp/B005FUWTJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432052431&sr=8-1&keywords=alto+professional

What are everyone's thoughts on the 10" vs. 12"? Looking at the frequency response curves, they appear fairly similar with the 10" maybe a tad flatter at ~120Hz. Reviews seem fine for both with one guy complaining that the 12" doesn't output enough power for him and sounds clipped.

I plan on using them for practice and likely running my keys through the second input.

http://www.altoproaudio.com/downloads/ALTO_TS112A_SPECS_B.pdf

http://www.altoproaudio.com/downloads/ALTO_TS110A_SPECS_E.pdf

Any thoughts?

The 10" and 12" are both on sale at Amazon as well and I'm thinking of getting one!

What are everyone's thoughts on the 10" vs. 12"?

I've got the 10" versions and really happy with them. I've had no shortage of low end, and in fact have started to roll off a bit more of the low end these days. I had read a review (sorry can't find the link) where some one had said that the bass on the 12" was a bit "flabby" compared to the 10". I can't vouch for this personally, but that would make sense.

I don't think you can go wrong with either version.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response, cclement. I got the 12" version a week or so ago and haven't stopped jamming! This thing REALLY brings out the best in my pod! I'm really digging the fender models again - these just felt "squishy" when run into the input of my old tube amp (that had no effects loop so no 4cm possible). SO many other models that I'm finding new love for. Plus, it's rad to be able to know that what I hear should be pretty much what will be fed to the board!

I'm happy with the unit overall. Having the volume knobs on the back will be a pain but I plan on using those for "rough trim" and the master on my HD500 for fine-tuning. I like the 2 inputs - I can run by keyboard into it as well! The tilt-back monitor design works well. If they are still $200, I'd suggest getting one and trying it out for yourself!

I use them for FRFR/ PA mains/ monitors/on the floor in front of me/ one behind and one to the side of me/as a PA on a stick on a stand/10s and or12s in all the configurations I have listed they sound good. They sound musical. They sound smooth. Take care of them. Dont throw them into your truck. Dont run them with the volumes cranked for 8 hours and you will be fine. I am gigging mine in 2 hours outside as FR FRfor my GR55/Boss ME70 rig with a 6 peice soul &R and B band.They have a nice PA so my 10s will do the job.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all.. if you are looking to go to a FRFR rig, GC has the Alto TS112As on sale fro $199 at the moment. I have a pair of the TS110A and have been really happy with them.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alto-TS112A-12--Active-2-Way-Speaker-106721442-i2344769.gc

More fat for the fire...

Thanks for the response, cclement. I got the 12" version a week or so ago and haven't stopped jamming! This thing REALLY brings out the best in my pod! I'm really digging the fender models again - these just felt "squishy" when run into the input of my old tube amp (that had no effects loop so no 4cm possible). SO many other models that I'm finding new love for. Plus, it's rad to be able to know that what I hear should be pretty much what will be fed to the board!

I'm happy with the unit overall. Having the volume knobs on the back will be a pain but I plan on using those for "rough trim" and the master on my HD500 for fine-tuning. I like the 2 inputs - I can run by keyboard into it as well! The tilt-back monitor design works well. If they are still $200, I'd suggest getting one and trying it out for yourself!

Do you guys use the balanced or unbalanced outs from you POD for the Altos?

Do you guys use the balanced or unbalanced outs from you POD for the Altos?

I run them unbalanced at home and at rehearsal. Friday the 26th will be my first "real gig" with them.. and I haven't figured out just yet how I'm going to run them. More than likely I will do one unbalanced (mono) for my side of the stage, and a the other balanced (just because I have a long XLR) as a monitor fill on the other side of the stage for our other guitarist.

The place is small, so I probably wont feed the house PA directly. None of the other instruments are going to be in the PA more than likely - just the vocals - so it would sound a bit odd to only have my guitar in there.

• Upvote 1

Friday the 26th will be my first "real gig" with them. The place is small, so I probably wont feed the house PA directly. None of the other instruments are going to be in the PA more than likely - just the vocals - so it would sound a bit odd to only have my guitar in there.

Looking forward to hearing how this goes.  I am looking hard at a pair of those with maybe the Alto sub to augment.  Peavey just came out with the Dark Matter 112 as well... at $250 they look pretty nice too...

I'll throw in on this one since it was cclements original posting about the TS110s that made me head into FRFR land.  I now own 2 of these guys on stands with a stereo 32 band Alesis EQ that runs between them and my pod.  The sound is fantastic!  I was able to go out and jam with a new drummer a few night ago for the first time since I got this setup and I could hear myself loud and clear over him.  Cabs were at 50% and pod was near 100% master.  The drummer could hear me plain as day as well so you know they were loud.

All in all, I'm very happy with them.  I did ask a pro sound guy friend of mine about upgrading to the 12s or 15s and he encouraged me to stick with 10s because (according to him) 10in speakers will always be more responsive than 12s or 15s.

One small thing to note is that a 32band EQ after the pod gives you AMAZING control over your tone without sacrificing all those slots in your chain or further adding to inevitable digital sound that comes from over processing in the pod.  Everyone rants over the tone that I have now and that is such a nice place to be in comparison to 6 months ago. 

• Upvote 2

After agonizing about spending the money on one for a monitor a bass player friend of mine was floored by how good it was at last night huge open air farmers market gig. I used one of my Alto 10s for my personal monitor.5 piece band with 5 good singers and I couldnhear everything perfectly! They are one hell of a value!

• 2 months later...

*UPDATE* - I've been using my TS112A for months now and really liked it (notice the past tense).

I recently was asked to play bass in a band and have been using my HD500x for bass (loving this) and, through the TS112A, I've been getting rave reviews on my tone.

However, I played my first OUTDOOR gig this thursday past and, while the unit held up well, I powered it up today and find that I have what sounds like a fried voice coil! YUK!

Currently on hold for customer support to see what they can do...we'll see!

Well, after only a 20 minute hold, I got Rich on the phone and he was ridiculously helpful! I simply told him of my troubleshooting and he said, "yup, sounds like a voice coil". He took my info, I emailed him my amazon receipt, and sent me an RMA for return (I have to pay the shipping though). Customer service seems pretty decent.

If my shipping is cheaper than a new 400W 12" driver, I'll send it back for repairs. Otherwise, I'll just drop something else in there. Unfortunately they are 4 ohm speakers...anyone have a good source for 12" drivers??? I might have to go from the car audio realm since most PA speakers seem to be 8 ohm in my experience.