Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does the HD500x come with all amps?

Markeje

I should finally getting the 500x today from the delivery guy. It never occurred to me that this thing would not have the Metal pack and vintage pack already on it.

So I really have to spend another 100 bucks to get these?

Yup. There is no free lunch.

Has anyone used the new amps in the Vintage pack much?  I've only had my HD500X a couple days so obviously I have barely even scratched the surface of what I can do with it.  I'll probably be exploring the sounds I can get out of it for awhile before I feel the need to buy more amps, but just for future reference I'm wondering if the new amps in the pack are "better" (subjective I know) in some way or are they just different?  My favorite amps so far are AC30 and "Fenders", so that's what I am most interested in.

make sure you are looking at the correct Packs... the Metal HD doesn't have a mesa or an uber (Thats already on the pod).. it has a new jcm 800 2204, a 5150 (Panama), A bogner  and some from the previous pod's that are not HD...

Like medievil1 said, the Mesa Dual Rec and Bogner Uber are stock on the HD500X so your good to go. Honestly I'm pretty content with the Mesa, Engl and Uber models it comes preloaded with. The Shiva model does sound pretty sweet though, but thats the only amp out of the metal pack I really like personally. The Mesa is pretty much my go to for just about anything and then maybe add the Engl for some extra flavor if the track needs it.

I notice that the mesa and Bog were on there last night. I got to say out of the box, just like everyone says...I was not impressed with any of the tones through my sennheiser 558's. I was ready to box it back up and put it on ebay. But it is my 1st night with it and only an hour at that. My primary reason to get it in the 1st place was to use it for effects only on my live rig. Which I haven't decided on just yet. I think I'm down to the Mini Mesa or 5150 iii 50w. Probably look at a few other mini's.

Anyway, I hope that I'll be able to get some usable tones for practice at least out of this while pumping in the song from my practice stereo.  What i came across last night was either way to harsh or just not a usable FX. 

I'll also start trying some of the cutometones on here and see if how that works.

I notice that the mesa and Bog were on there last night. I got to say out of the box, just like everyone says...I was not impressed with any of the tones through my sennheiser 558's. I was ready to box it back up and put it on ebay. But it is my 1st night with it and only an hour at that. My primary reason to get it in the 1st place was to use it for effects only on my live rig. Which I haven't decided on just yet. I think I'm down to the Mini Mesa or 5150 iii 50w. Probably look at a few other mini's.

Anyway, I hope that I'll be able to get some usable tones for practice at least out of this while pumping in the song from my practice stereo.  What i came across last night was either way to harsh or just not a usable FX. 

I'll also start trying some of the cutometones on here and see if how that works.

You really need to spend a significant amount of time with the POD before you're gonna be anything close to happy. My initial impression the day I got mine was "this thing sucks". But after a few deep breaths, assorted profanity, and a few days of working with it I started to understand how it works...but it took several weeks, and a lot of reading around here before I really got the sounds I was looking for. There's a lot in there, and it takes some getting used to, "plug and play" it's not.

Presets are largely useless, although I'm told that some of the newer ones that came with the most recent firmware update are somewhat better, but I haven't tried them...so if your POD didn't come with the new firmware (and it most likely didn't) you might want to try updating it and loading in the new presets. You may find some in there that you can work with.

Custometone...for me at least...was not a particularly gratifying experience either. With the exception of an acoustic patch I found for use with the JTV, I have used exactly none of the dozens of patches that I initially downloaded. You may have better luck, but I think you'll find starting from scratch with an empty patch, building it from the ground up will yield much better results (and a lot faster), than just trying one patch after another that someone else created. 9 out of 10 times, whatever the Customtone patch is said to emulate is far removed from what you're gonna hear on your end...but as always, your mileage may vary. Hang in there for a while, and it'll all start to sink in.

I don't know what firmware it has or for sure what software I need to run this on my computer. 

So far I've downloaded 500x Edit & line 6 Monkey. I also dl'ed POD Farm 2 but not sure I even NEED this and pay to have it?

I'm hopefully going to fire up the 500x tonight and update the firmware to v2.62 if needed. Then, with luck DL some customtones as well as build 1 using the POD Edit.

I'll hang in there but I may beat my head off a few walls to get there :) There are a few vids with guys using the 5150iii and mini mesas that have tones with effects only that sound pretty good and I think i could play live with that setup, so I KNOW it's achievable. Just one hell of a learning curve to get there.

Oh and thanks Cruisin!

I'll hang in there but I may beat my head off a few walls to get there :) ...Just one hell of a learning curve to get there.

Yep...most of us had similar experiences, I suspect. Some may not admit it, however ;) . But I was definitely frustrated at first, no doubt...and I had bought the POD and JTV together, so it was a decent pile of cash to lay out. I was not a happy camper right off the bat. Thrilled with it now though. It get's better...

Sweet OK. Well, wish me luck. I'm SURE I'll be back with more questions. Tonight I just want to focus on getting the update done. If that goes well, then I'll try running EDIT and start getting familiar with it. Maybe mess around with a making a good Slash Sweet Child tone. Are the recipes vids from Line 6 a good starting point or should I avoid those?

Thanks for the pointers also guys! At least at this point I feel HOPEFUL that I've still made the right decision on this puppy. 

That depends on you. No right or wrong. 

Input 1 - guitar 

input 2 - same 

but others use a mic, so they need a mic input. Or a 2nd guitar input. 

Some people complain about the noise created using guitar/same. 

No right. No wrong. 

But remember ---- 

The way you have you unit set when you design 'the perfect' patch, is how you need to have it set when you use the patch. Change one thing, everything changes.

if input 2 is set to same (Or guitar) then the input volume is effectively doubled so you drive the simulated amps a little harder, sometimes thats good, sometimes it isn't...IF you have really hot pickups, I would set input 2 to variax or something that will not allow it to double the guitar input

Variax is a type of guitar line 6 sells that has pizzo saddles that allows alternate tunings, acoustic sim etc, without altering the guitar tuning at all...so if input one is set to guitar-variax-aux it will allow any of the 3 inputs to be main input source. If, for example, it was just set to aux, then the guitar in wouldn't work to produce sound

OK, I understand both of you now and a littler better on both subjects, I've been reading all the pdf's. 1st the pilot guide and now the EDIT guide. Not sure I need to get into the advanced guide just yet. :)

When looking at the Signal Flow View, I assume that all FX to the left of the AMP is in front of the amp and everything to the right would be behind the amp, such as in the FX loop? Or do I have to actually put in the the FX Loop block?

Sorry if I'm getting a head of myself and you guys are getting annoyed. 

Also, when I get there. How do I download the Metal Pack? I have an activation code.