Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hi,

I have just ordered my M20D and I a, looking forward to it. I have been using the studiolive 16.4.2 and purchased it before the 16.0.2 or the M20D came out. I find it way too big for m gigs (footprint). Was going to downsize to the 16.0.2 then discovered the M20D. And I ordered one!

I have been doing lots of reading, and have a question about subgroups. I see they are easy enough to create by selecting an open control, and assigning. But what if you have all 12 mic inputs used, which is when I would likely want a subgroup? Like I said, I don't have on in my hands yet, but it seems there would be no open controller as there are only 12 of them? Is it still possible?

Thanks,

I haven't tried it yet to be honest, but on the touch screen you can swipe all the channels to the left to show another complete blank set of channels.  The hardware encoders are assigned to the currently displayed set of icons (for lack of a better way to describe it).  There are only 12 encoder knobs but 20 inputs (if you include USB and SD card. When you swipe to the left all the encoders will be unassigned, unless some got assigned that you couldn't see.  So you could have all your individual channels on the first "Bank" of icons and then monitors and subgroups once your swipe over to the next "Bank".

Ok. Thanks. I was wondering about sliding the screen or something. Because even 12 knobs isn't enough for the inputs.

I can't see anything about this board that will make me regret this purchase and giving up my presonus 16.4.2. i love it, bit it is big and I am not a soundman. I am a guy in the band that does our sound. I may miss the 6 aux outs, but I went for years in the analog world sharing one or two aux mixes for the entire band. We can work with 4 no problem. At present, we use 3. Think the M20D will ever be expandable? Is there room or an input for that?

One other question. We often use a snake on larger stages just to bring s

Inputs closer to other side of stage. If I plug an 8 channel snake into the M20D, and don't use all the inputs, does the board think there are things plugged in even if there is no instrument connected to the other end? Easier way to phrase the question is: if I plug in an xlr cord, does the board recognize it right away, or only when an instrument or mic is plugged into the other end?

Soon, I will be able to answer these questions myself when my board arrives to test out.

Thanks,

• Upvote 1

... Easier way to phrase the question is: if I plug in an xlr cord, does the board recognize it right away, or only when an instrument or mic is plugged into the other end?

Yes, it is recognized right away. But you can easily delete the input/icon from the stage immediately too. That will remove the channel assignment.