Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Third party expression pedal for use with HD500X?

alienux

Is there a good, reliable expression pedal made by a 3rd party that works well with the PODs? It's not critical that I get one before this weekend, but I would like to if possible, and none of the local places sell the Line 6 add-on pedal. I don't have time to order one from Amazon by then, either. What are some other brand external expression pedals I could look into at a Guitar Center or some place like that?

I used to have a M-Audio expression pedal and it does not work properly, like most 3rd party pedals. The range was not complete (something like 35-100%), so this renders it almost unusable.

The Line6 expression pedal (EX-1) includes a passive 10K ohm mono linear taper pot, so it´s good for volume and effects parameters (I got one for 30€ second hand (or foot), and it works OK for that purpose.) but not so much for wah.

On the other hand, the Mission Engineering EP-1L6 seems to be great for wah, as it use a 20k Ohm custom taper pot, similar to that found in analog wah pedals, but it´s really expensive for what it is, IMHO. For that price you can get a good real Wah.

My advice: keep using the onboard pedal for volume/effects, save a bit more and get the G-Lab "Wowee Wah" :wub: .

This is an optical wah, true bypass, includes an amazing pressure activated mode by placing and releasing the foot from the pedal, and you can even send MIDI messages from the POD HD to control its parameters, with the MWW-1 version: http://www.glab.com.pl/midi_wowee-wah_en .

• Upvote 1

The Line6 expression pedal (EX-1) includes a passive 10K ohm mono linear taper pot, so it´s good for volume and effects parameters (I got one for 30€ second hand (or foot), and it works OK for that purpose.) but not so much for wah.

On the other hand, the Mission Engineering EP-1L6 seems to be great for wah, as it use a 20k Ohm custom taper pot, similar to that found in analog wah pedals, but it´s really expensive for what it is, IMHO. For that price you can get a good real Wah.

+1 on the two above. I started with the EX-1 but it broke twice on me due to the cheap construction. Both times were the same thing and easly fixed after taking it apart. It works okay for a volume pedal but it's not stage worthy. To replace it I got the EP1-L6 which is very solid and nice pedal but the throw feels completely wrong for using as a volume pedal. I just swtich my patches to put the volume to the on board and using the EP1-L6 for Wah or other settings.

I started with the EX-1 but it broke twice on me due to the cheap construction. Both times were the same thing and easly fixed after taking it apart. It works okay for a volume pedal but it's not stage worthy.

Well... look as this picture:

p10300352.jpg

This is the Kurt Rosenwinkel setup (november 2011, Barcelona). If the EX-1 is stage worthy to him, then it should work for me as well :lol:

Well... look as this picture:

p10300352.jpg

This is the Kurt Rosenwinkel setup (november 2011, Barcelona). If the EX-1 is stage worthy to him, then it should work for me as well :lol:

That totaly depends on his usage of the pedal. I use mine to control the volume between patch and I used it a lot to mix the levels. The main problem is the plunger that moves the pot, is not secure. The top doesn't compeletly go over where it attaches the pedal, too much pressure it comes right off, then doesn't work. You can take the bottom off and re-attached without a problem. He might not be as rough or use it same way, I can't tell what he's got it hooked up to. So in some situations it might be useable. But It's not ready to bang around local dives they way I do.  

I use a Roland EV-5 because I had 2 from before - they have a TRS connector and a knob for adjusting minimum level that is useful with keyboards... but I have had no problems with it and the HD500 if the minimum level is set to zero. IF the minimum level is above 0 then the HD500 doesn't read it.

Not saying it is the greatest pedal around, but I only use it for relative volume level with the min and max set on the HD.

If you're looking to tweak parameters and have them stay put (e.g., add reverb and leave it there till you want a change), I use the NosePedal purple. It's basically a small footprint pedal with a single big knob on it. Works great for how I use it--it would be a terrible volume swell or wah solution. NosePedal.com

I use the Hot Hand 3, from Source Audio.  It has DIP switches to give the proper CV.  The receiver is small enough that I mounted mine next the the onboard expression pedal with velcro.  The transmitter is mounted directly to my violin, and I adjust delay feedback and drive gain by tilting my violin up and down.  It works very well, and it takes up almost no extra space.  Just one small wall wart, and the receiver itself, which is smaller than a few 9v batteries.

I use a Boss FV-500H with an insert cable. The stereo end into the expression port on the pedal, and one of the 2 mono ends into the

POD's expression socket, works beautifully and built like a tank. The pedal controls the expression on the POD, but it also can be put

inline with your guitar to POD input simultaneously ! both circuits are electrically isolated, so they don't interfere with each other.

It also has a separate tuner out with a dedicated volume control, and adjustable torque. The pot is a 10Kohm taper.

http://www.bossus.com/products/fv-500h_500l/

I use Mission EP1-16L... it's very robust and well made.... but I have a little problem, it seems not to stay a 0... infact if I use it as Whammy pedal when I return to the UP position (0 of the pedal and normal note) it works normal but if I pull off the feet from the pedal the intonation gain 2 or 3 cent...... maybe I must do some adjustements!!