Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vintage Amps Pack Quick Demo - No Talking!!

GlennDeLaune

Always awesome work! That whole thumb pick for leads method is mind boggling...not sure how you ended up there but it serves you well.

Thank you. Yeah the whole thumb pick things comes from when I was a kid and studied classical music and after that I studied Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed style acoustic "Chiken Pickin". As I got older and started playing rock and hard rock & metal I just stayed with the thumb pick because it felt comfortable.

My vintage amp pack kicks booty! Taking my POD HD500 and Atomic Reactor Wedge for a spin tonite in a club!

Glenn is so good it's ridiculous! Lots of guys have chops / licks etc...Glenn has musicianship skills.Thats what you need to really make music for an audience not just for other guitar players!

My vintage amp pack kicks booty! Taking my POD HD500 and Atomic Reactor Wedge for a spin tonite in a club!

Glenn is so good it's ridiculous! Lots of guys have chops / licks etc...Glenn has musicianship skills.Thats what you need to really make music for an audience not just for other guitar players!

Amen ;-)

Here is just a down & dirty quick demo of 4 of my favorite amps in the new Vintage Amp Pack. The AC30, Orange OR80, JC120 & the Black Panel Pete.

Thanks so much Glenn for this demo. I was waiting for someone demoing the vintage pack.

My HD500/Atomic Reactor wedge rig just killed last night in a 200 seat club! The JC 120 is amazing! The new JCM800 is Def Leppard City!I highly recommend these older Atomics for the HD500. They dont get real loud but man you can really hear the cab models and effects through them.

My HD500/Atomic Reactor wedge rig just killed last night in a 200 seat club! The JC 120 is amazing! The new JCM800 is Def Leppard City!I highly recommend these older Atomics for the HD500. They dont get real loud but man you can really hear the cab models and effects through them.

I've got an old 2x12 reactor, which is a bit too bright for me. I liked the sound of my original 1x12 reactor, but it wasn't loud enough. I gig with my PA cabs, and have based all my tones on flat amplification, so re-EQing them all for the Reactor, was a waste of time, but now that we have the global EQ, I might try it again.

Whoa, we have Glenn DeLaune here in the HD Forums? Great!

I love your patches, have 2 of them (Artist and Metal Masters for my HD500).

The video is superb as ever /fanboymode off

In all seriousness: I never would have thought, but I really dig the Orange. I plan on getting one of the 2 guitar amp packs. All the the time my plan was to get the High-Gain-stuff. But the Orange and the JC120 really make a hard decision out of it. The Orange just "roars" so good (at least to my ears).

Hi Glenn,

Just bought your Vintage and Metal bundles. Dig 'em!

I have a question though.

In the READ ME you included you list your Global EQ settings.

Is this how you run those patches with the G.EQ on?

Do you use these settings to shape your sound for FOH, DAW, phones, and power amps as opposed to

"compensating for the wide disparity in acoustic environments on tour or when traveling from studio to studio" as written in Line6Tony's Firmware v2.62 for the POD HD family of products...blurb on what's new with v.2.62?

I would doubt that you use these settings for the environment/FM Curve of every place you play.
When I updated and did the reset the Global EQ was defaulted to ON and noticed a difference in the sound but globally turned it off assuming it was for room compensation.

What can you tell me from your point of view?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Glenn,

Just bought your Vintage and Metal bundles. Dig 'em!

I have a question though.

In the READ ME you included you list your Global EQ settings.

Is this how you run those patches with the G.EQ on?

First off, Thank you very much Mark. OK here is the reasoning behind my Global EQ settings. I leave that on ALL the time but do have to slightly adjust it for running into a real amp FX return or going direct to PA or going into an FRFR stage monitor. That's the beauty of the Global EQ and in my mind that's what it should be used for. To "Globally" shape your sound to the environment. That said, if you look at my Global EQ settings I'm cutting everything from 85HZ and below with the low cut & low gain and I'm also cutting everything from 8KHZ on up with the High Cut. Then I use the Treble & Presence controls on the amp to add some of that high end back. With those Global EQ settings the treble & presence controls of the amp models work much much better and actually add the "musical" high end sizzle that most tube amps have without it getting too brittle.

• Upvote 1

First off, Thank you very much Mark. OK here is the reasoning behind my Global EQ settings. I leave that on ALL the time but do have to slightly adjust it for running into a real amp FX return or going direct to PA or going into an FRFR stage monitor. That's the beauty of the Global EQ and in my mind that's what it should be used for. To "Globally" shape your sound to the environment. That said, if you look at my Global EQ settings I'm cutting everything from 85HZ and below with the low cut & low gain and I'm also cutting everything from 8KHZ on up with the High Cut. Then I use the Treble & Presence controls on the amp to add some of that high end back. With those Global EQ settings the treble & presence controls of the amp models work much much better and actually add the "musical" high end sizzle that most tube amps have without it getting too brittle.

One thing I always wondered (especially about your patch bundles): You use the HD500 as direct device into the Interface/PA. And also in the front of Amps AND into a power amp.

When you record tones for your bundles, is it always the same patch, with Cab, Mic, etc., even if you are going "live" into a Effect Loop Return/Power Amp? Or do you turn off the Cab option?

Also: Do you change the "Output Mode" of the Pod depending on the situation (Studio/Direct, Front Amp, Power Amp)? Or is it always the same setting?

I am asking this because I record and practice with my HD500 with full Amp models and Headphones, but play live and in bands with a seprate Power Amp and a 2x12 Cab. And I dislike 1.) Always having to switch between modes (Studio/Direct and Stack PWR AMP) and 2.) Always having to tweak 2 separate patches with the same amp and effects, but one with Cab, one w/o.

...I'm cutting everything from 85HZ and below with the low cut & low gain and I'm also cutting everything from 8KHZ on up with the High Cut. Then I use the Treble & Presence controls on the amp to add some of that high end back. With those Global EQ settings the treble & presence controls of the amp models work much much better and actually add the "musical" high end sizzle that most tube amps have without it getting too brittle.

Thanks for your reply Glenn. This makes sense. I did think you would have to compensate for the room or gear you are running into. Now it's clear to me.

BTW - never thought I'd buy anyone's patches - seen them for sale for years (since my XTL days) but never thought I'd do anything but grab Customtone tones but you and your pro patches are a different story. Haven't had a lot of fun with them yet, just had time to set up Vintage and Metal set lists and dink around while loading and saving.

Glenn I'm hoping you would help answer probably a noob question. I'm going to be playing in our worship band and using a standard strat (not variax) and going straight into the sound system via xlr (using in-ear monitors).

In your opinion what should my input and output hd500x settings be? And would these settings include your global eq's?

One thing I always wondered (especially about your patch bundles): You use the HD500 as direct device into the Interface/PA. And also in the front of Amps AND into a power amp.

When you record tones for your bundles, is it always the same patch, with Cab, Mic, etc., even if you are going "live" into a Effect Loop Return/Power Amp? Or do you turn off the Cab option?

Also: Do you change the "Output Mode" of the Pod depending on the situation (Studio/Direct, Front Amp, Power Amp)? Or is it always the same setting?

I am asking this because I record and practice with my HD500 with full Amp models and Headphones, but play live and in bands with a seprate Power Amp and a 2x12 Cab. And I dislike 1.) Always having to switch between modes (Studio/Direct and Stack PWR AMP) and 2.) Always having to tweak 2 separate patches with the same amp and effects, but one with Cab, one w/o.

Most of the time I run stereo XLR right into the FOH and then I split a line off into some QSC K-12's or a clean channel amplifier driving guitar cabs. For those applications I have patches set up using only maybe two or three of the POD's amp models. I always keep the cab's on and pretty much stick with the default parameters except for some special tweaks. The only time I use the "Power Amp Stack" output mode is when I am not running direct to PA but using a trditional guitar amp with a mic'd cab going into a clean channel or the amp's FX return. I have a seperate set of patches for that application but since I'm using the clean power of the amp I still use the POD's amps and cab settings.

Glenn I'm hoping you would help answer probably a noob question. I'm going to be playing in our worship band and using a standard strat (not variax) and going straight into the sound system via xlr (using in-ear monitors).

In your opinion what should my input and output hd500x settings be? And would these settings include your global eq's?

You would use the "Studio/Direct" output mode and then use the Global EQ Low & High Cut to shape the sound. The sound person would be the best one to tell you how much low's or high's to cut.

Very nice video Glenn, some great tones there. I just grabbed a copy of your Vintage patches. Gonna check them out tonight with my Variax. Thanks for making them available.

Thank you very much Lee. Don't forget to check out my Custom Variax models that are included as a bonus in that Vintage Pack Custom Patches download file. They're HD models so you'll need to be up to date with your Variax FW.

Glenn, I have enjoyed going through your web site. Congratulations on being such a rounded musician. I have been working on the HD500X and Variax for several months. I have had considerable success in taming the beast. I am interested in your patches that are for sale. I have no problem throwing additional money at my setup because I benefit from the enormous time savings it creates for me. So, your patches sound wonderful in the You Tube video you provided. One of the main concerns we all seem to have is the disparity of output levels on the otherwise nice variety of patches Line 6 and the community provide. How did you address this concern with your patches?    

Thanks for your tip on the Global Parametric EQ. I used it for a show last weekend using a local amp and running direct through the PA. It added more improvement to my sound.

Glenn, I have enjoyed going through your web site. Congratulations on being such a rounded musician. I have been working on the HD500X and Variax for several months. I have had considerable success in taming the beast. I am interested in your patches that are for sale. I have no problem throwing additional money at my setup because I benefit from the enormous time savings it creates for me. So, your patches sound wonderful in the You Tube video you provided. One of the main concerns we all seem to have is the disparity of output levels on the otherwise nice variety of patches Line 6 and the community provide. How did you address this concern with your patches?    

Thanks for your tip on the Global Parametric EQ. I used it for a show last weekend using a local amp and running direct through the PA. It added more improvement to my sound.

Thank you very much. You asked how I address the volume issues of the patches? Well it depends on the patch set. For example, my "Custom Artists" patches are all created at almost the same volume. I do this when I am programming the patch and I go from one to the next and set the volume level close to the same on each patch. Once i finish creating all of the patches in a set I go back through them one by one and double check the volume level. I set those with the amp volume around 11'oclock. Now for the "Gig Ready" patches I've created, which are my "Standard Patch Set" and my "Direct to Clean Channel Amp or Amp FX Return" patches, those are already optimized for the same volume across the board. Usually each bank will have one patch, usually on the far right bottom switch that will be a lead patch so the volume on that one will be much louder than the others. Since those are lead patches they need to be louder and it took me many months of tweaking them to get them right. Here's how I did that. During the gig I will hit a patch for a certain song and the sound engineer (when I could actually see him) would give me a thumbs up if the patch needed to be louder or a thumbs down if it needed to be lower in volume. Same thing for the lead patches. I want my leads to jump out in the mix. With setting up the patches this way I don't have to rely on the sound engineer to boost my leads. I do it on my own using the patches.

• Upvote 1

During the gig I will hit a patch for a certain song and the sound engineer (when I could actually see him) would give me a thumbs up if the patch needed to be louder or a thumbs down if it needed to be lower in volume. Same thing for the lead patches. I want my leads to jump out in the mix. With setting up the patches this way I don't have to rely on the sound engineer to boost my leads. I do it on my own using the patches.

glenn, this approach certainly works!

as a minor improvement, hand-out a pre-printed playlist 2 the sound mad 'n ask him 2 mark with plus (+) or minus (-) the db's he suggests 4 boosting or cutting each song correspondingly (he is also making notes abt equalization of each song/patch, eg +1db mids, -2db lows, etc).

the whole procedure must start all over again when new f/w is used.

however i must report that i did not encounter any level differences when i flashed latest fw  both on the jtv (2.21) and the hd500(2.62, global eq=off).

attached blank template

PRESETS_BLANK_PLAYLIST.zip

Edited by jandrio
  • Upvote 1

glenn, this approach certainly works!

as a minor improvement, hand-out a pre-printed playlist 2 the sound mad 'n ask him 2 mark with plus (+) or minus (-) the db's he suggests 4 boosting or cutting each song correspondingly (he is also making notes abt equalization of each song/patch, eg +1db mids, -2db lows, etc).

the whole procedure must start all over again when new f/w is used.

however i must report that i did not encounter any level differences when i flashed latest fw  both on the jtv (2.21) and the hd500(2.62, global eq=off).

attached blank template

Wow, Thank you for that J!! That can really come in handy. I just started with a new sound engineer and he and I will appreciate that printed sheet. Great idea!! Playing this Saturday with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra at Powell Hall in St. Louis, MO and will definitely use your method. Any of you guys in that area try to come on out!! I'd love to meet some of you out there. We're doing The Music of The Eagles. it's an awesome show!! Thank you Line 6. I am using exclusivley your equipment for these concerts inculding a Variax JTV69 HSS (for acoustic 6 & 12 string, Les Paul & Strat sounds) and a POD HD with the FBV MKII floorboard out front. Oh . . . and also a Line6 G50 Relay Wireless. Great Stuff!! Can't wait to see what you guys (Line 6) are up to next!!

10930166_795917833790677_711386430185789

• Upvote 2

Playing this Saturday with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra at Powell Hall in St. Louis, MO and will definitely use your method. Any of you guys in that area try to come on out!! I'd love to meet some of you out there. We're doing The Music of The Eagles. it's an awesome show!!

Glenn,  i ...wish I was there   2 hear u live :)

Wow, Thank you for that J!! That can really come in handy. I just started with a new sound engineer and he and I will appreciate that printed sheet. Great idea!!

welcome...

glad u found it useful :D

ps

i don't suppose u need the smart harmony since u have the full orchestra available, but may b u find useful those Hotel California patches...