Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Model Pack Mix and Match, PLEASE LINE 6!!!!!!

mattbarden

Is there any way possible way you would finally consider doing a per amp price for the model pack amps? I want some of the new amps but if I could just buy the ones I want for like, $5-$10 each I would be WAY happier with that deal and would pull the trigger right now. Or if I could have an upgrade price on previously purchased model packs that are similar from the XT series?? Seriously guys, this could bring in more sales for you because honestly I don't want to spend another $50 for the 1 or 2 amps I actually want and have 8 others sitting there that I will never use. Moneywise for me that is not a sound investment seeing as I only actually will use 10-20% of what I paid for. I know this has been a long time request since back in the day so why not just pull the trigger already?? Money is good and I am wanting to give you some but not for stuff I don't want, just saying. Make it happen Line 6!!

• Upvote 4

Absolutely agree. Spend more than 100€ in a unit so near its EOL is pointless, unless you're actually making money with it.

This expansion pack would have been fine if it had come out, let's say, two years after the launch of the HD series, but at this moment a second-hand HD500 is selling for around €250, and prices will fall even more when the next POD generation (and/or the Fractal AX8) hits the shelves.

If I could buy just the JC-120 and a bass amp, I would. But spending over €100 on something that has already lost half the price of what I paid initially, and I'll have to sell off in a few months to finance the purchase of the next gen fancy thing, it's something that I can´t rationally justify to myself.

• Upvote 4

hmmm..if it is amp models you will use, then it is NOT too late int eh cycle... other wise, why not just wit until the next thing hits if thats the route you are going anyway... I find the whole notion pretty ridiculous... I don't buy gear or models or software based on life cycle, I buy it on whether I will use it or not. IF another device comes out, will the HD 500 stop working?? stop being usable for your needs??...

• Upvote 1

"late in the cycle" only matters if you intend on buying the next product simply because a new product was released. 

Me, on the other hand, I haven't bought the bonus material, nor do I think I will. But, I intend on keeping my current product until it is dead. So, I would certainly get my money's worth if I did buy them. 

To the OP 

This isn't FaceBook. You don't tag people in posts. They don't get a little notifier telling them that they've been mentioned. 

I was not aware of that pianoguyy, figured I try it and see if it worked but I guess it does not.

But we do get notified if you quote us. 

To me it was well worth the $100 for these models.  Even if they discontinue the HD500X it doesn't mean it's game over.  It's only at the end of it's life when you decide to stop using it.  I'm still rockin' my Vetta II that I bought in 2004 and it still does everything I purchased it for in the first place.  I'd even consider purchasing model packs for the Vetta II if Line 6 wanted to put them out.

"late in the cycle" only matters if you intend on buying the next product simply because a new product was released. 

Me, on the other hand, I haven't bought the bonus material, nor do I think I will. But, I intend on keeping my current product until it is dead. So, I would certainly get my money's worth if I did buy them. 

Ditto, except I did get the model packs.

hmmm..if it is amp models you will use, then it is NOT too late in the cycle... other wise, why not just wit until the next thing hits if thats the route you are going anyway... I find the whole notion pretty ridiculous... I don't buy gear or models or software based on life cycle, I buy it on whether I will use it or not. IF another device comes out, will the HD 500 stop working?? stop being usable for your needs??...

When a new unit goes on sale, the resale market is flooded with hundreds of the old units, causing prices to fall dramatically.

Certainly, if I had to sell the machine at the time, for 1/4 of what I originally paid, maybe I would not sell it. But selling it before, you can still recover about half of the money, which is a reasonable amount in exchange for having used it for 5-6 years.

That's what I did when I had the Pod X3 Live. I put on sale just after the HD series was announced, and I could recover more than half. It is also true that I spent about 3 months without a multi-effects unit, waiting for the HD500 arrived in stores, but that also helped (forced) me to save the remaining money to buy it ASAP.

Users who retained their X3 Live until the HD500 was on sale, had to assume lose at least 2/3 of what they paid, which in many cases led to renounce sell. (Which in turn involved in many cases not buy the next generation until a few months or years later.)

Staying with an electronic device with more than 5-6 years means: be willing to bear the cost of repairs, face to receive updates on drivers later (or will no longer supported) and see how the rest of the people is talking about how good the new generation is, while you keep your old outdated model.

Of course if the money its not a problem for you all the above its pointless, but I live in a country where the 65% of people are very poor, so usually the amount of personal possessions may not be very large, and certainly doubling machines that do the same thing would be a luxury. Therefore, for most of us, it is usually necessary to sell any possessions in order to buy another one. Accumulating patrimony is an exclusive privilege of the socially advantadged minority.

To me it was well worth the $100 for these models.  Even if they discontinue the HD500X it doesn't mean it's game over.  It's only at the end of it's life when you decide to stop using it.  I'm still rockin' my Vetta II that I bought in 2004 and it still does everything I purchased it for in the first place.  I'd even consider purchasing model packs for the Vetta II if Line 6 wanted to put them out.

The same arguments can be applied to your mobile phone, but most people buy a newer iPhone while the previous one still works, isnt it? (capitalism s_ucks, I know).

Still, I doubt that anyone should pay 100 extra bucks for minimally extend the functionality of their mobile phones, six months before they come out the next generation.

because honestly I don't want to spend another $50 for the 1 or 2 amps I actually want

What you purchase for your money, basically, is not "amps". You purchase value. If you value only 1 amp model of a pack so much that you're happy to pay $50, you buy the whole pack and you're happy. If the whole pack is a toy that equals $10 value for you (regardless of how many amp models you want to use), you don't buy the pack for $50. Asking to separate packs, you actually ask Line 6 to sell you the same value for 5x less money.

Line 6 decided to sell the new models only to those who value new stuff as $50 or more. It does make sense commercially, and Line 6 is a commercial organization, remember. They might consider a Christmas sale later in the year, though, when most amp-hungry users already paid their $$$, and making even $1 more would again make sense commercially.

What you purchase for your money, basically, is not "amps". You purchase value. If you value only 1 amp model of a pack so much that you're happy to pay $50, you buy the whole pack and you're happy. If the whole pack is a toy that equals $10 value for you (regardless of how many amp models you want to use), you don't buy the pack for $50. Asking to separate packs, you actually ask Line 6 to sell you the same value for 5x less money.

Line 6 decided to sell the new models only to those who value new stuff as $50 or more. It does make sense commercially, and Line 6 is a commercial organization, remember. They might consider a Christmas sale later in the year, though, when most amp-hungry users already paid their $$$, and making even $1 more would again make sense commercially.

Your right. Adversley consumers do not usually think in terms a commercial business does.

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure there's a technical limitation. IIRC, our crypto chip isn't set up to support enough authorizations to accommodate individual model sales. Not sure how many we can do, but it's fewer than the number of models in the Fully Loaded Bundle.

• Upvote 1

my thoughts were next gen anyway... it never occurred to me that it would be worthwhile to make this change retroactively...

:)

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure there's a technical limitation. IIRC, our crypto chip isn't set up to support enough authorizations to accommodate individual model sales. Not sure how many we can do, but it's fewer than the number of models in the Fully Loaded Bundle.

Somehow that just makes sense to me. I won't hold you to it though. Thanks for sharing that "DI".

I see they do still have the 30 day money back guarantee though, that does make it a bit more enticing to at least try it . Would any of you fine folks have any first hand experience with that? I looked up the steps and to what I understand it's if I decide I'm not 100% satisfied with the purchase I have to 1) request the refund, 2) deauthorize my device, 3) reauthorize it so they know the pack was removed then 4) I get the refund, is that correct? Does this whole process have to be completed before the 30 days is up or is it just sending in the initial request for a refund that needs to be done by day 30? Not trying to be a total cheapo or anything. For all the crazy amounts of gear I've bought over the years I just try to justify my costs little more before impulse buying is all.