Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone run their HD500X into the effects return of a guitar amp?

Rocco_Crocco

I have a Blackstar HT5C - that's the not-metal, no reverb, 1-12" combo. It has 2 channels, clean and overdrive, and a knob that varies the "character" of the OD section beween English (Marshall) and American (Mesa).

I run the POD into the Blackstar using the 4 cable method. Pre fx loop I've got a noisegate, tube compressor, tube driver and script phaser. Post fx loop I've got an analog chorus, digital delay and plate reverb. That's the main setup I use. I've got another setup for very strange sounds, and a third for old styles, surf and whatnot. I think it sounds great used like that.

With that setup, you've used up all of the available fx blocks, and can put whatever L6 amp you like in the remaining amp block and, by switching off the fx loop, the 1/4" output takes the whole POD signal chain into the amp's power amp section. I think, for my purposes, it takes too much tweaking to get the L6 amps to sound all that much better than the Blackstar. The 9000 downloadable user created tones on Customtone (that's just the ones users of the HD500 and HD500X have made) occasionally yield some nice sounds, and are very helpful for learning from other people's tweaking efforts.

Studio Direct into the return on my 50 watt SS Marshall.. sounds Killer... much better than the SS's preamp...need to get a V-30 or greenback speaker for it though.. it comes with the $60 budget speaker thingy that doesn't have good low end...

PODHD Desktop into a pair of Marshall JCM900's FX return so I can split them on both sides of the stage for a stereo effect.  I use a 20ms delay between L&R channels.  Studio Direct Output and PODHD Pre not Full amp. 

i ru my hd500x in the effects loop on my rocktronreplitone 212...i bought the ampfor pretty cheap as it didnt really have the tone i was looking for but just using the pwer amp section and the hd as the preamp u can get just about anything u want out of it

I don't use the 4 cable method with my HD500. I have used it straight into the effect return of 5 or 6 different tube amps all with great results. I just used it that way a couple hours ago with my JCM800 combo. It is the best way IMHO and my favorite but many places I play gigs at require an FRFR approach so the tube amps stay home. I run that way with no cab in each patch selected. I have about 20 patches with cabs to FRFR with cabs and the same ones in other banks with no cab selected.If I had my druthers I would run my HD500 into a healthy tube amp at every venue!It is simply amazing and impressed many other hard core tube amp players at a talent night I just hosted.

Thanks for the replies.

I picked up the 500X last night. I was only able to play with it for a few minutes. I ran it into my amp's return with the 500x 1/4" out set to line level. I didn't really tweak anything, but when I select "no cab" simulation, most of the patches sound fizzy .Am I missing a setting or do I just need to spend some time with the EQ?

Thanks for the replies.

I picked up the 500X last night. I was only able to play with it for a few minutes. I ran it into my amp's return with the 500x 1/4" out set to line level. I didn't really tweak anything, but when I select "no cab" simulation, most of the patches sound fizzy .Am I missing a setting or do I just need to spend some time with the EQ?

Despite the fact that it's technically "wrong", for me the only output mode that produces anything close to a usable sound is "studio/direct". I tried pre-amp only models with no cab sims, along with the "correct" output mode for my set-up...(a tube power amp and 4x12 Marshall cab)..."fizzy" didn't even come close to what I was getting. "Ice-pick through the temple" would be closer...no amount of tweaking helped. Just one rusty chainsaw sound after another. But studio/direct works quite well...required dialing out a fair amount of low-end boominess, depending on which cab model I'm using, and generally turning the "early reflections" parameter to zero, but that was the only thing that worked for me. I suppose it will largely depend on the amp you're running into...you may have better results with one of the other output modes, and no cab sims. Each rig is different...see what works best for you.

I have had great results on occassion running stereo into the fx returns on a pair of Fender - Rivera designed Concert combos. Mainly, I run direct to the house mixer and bring the guitar up in the house monitors.

I've run into the FX return on many SS combos and they usually sound decent to great (depends on the speakers in them - to me at least). Peavey Bandits were always a fave. Now I just drag a Tech 21 PE60 but I am planning to go ampless/direct.

Studio/direct is normally what I set the output for - sometimes combo power amp. 

-B

Peavey Bandits were always a fave.

Ahh, memories...I had one of those for years. Kept is as a practice amp even after upgrading to bigger rigs. Thing was bullet-proof until one day, just nothing...lol. Oh well, nothing lasts forever. Ran various pre-amp/ multi fx units through it, and was always surprised at the sound. I think they're still selling them, so they must have done something right.