Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-89F + Pod XT Live

Am seriously considering a JTV-89F.

question I have at the moment relates to compatability with the Pod XT Live. All i've found thus far is "limited compatability". What is this to mean exactly? What won't it do?

Many thanks in advance.

It means if you use the VDI cable to connect and power your JTV to the XTL, the XTL (or X3L) will be able to switch model patches on your JTV. It will not be able to set and remember alternate tunings on your JTV model patches, or be able to use your JTV knobs to control FX parameters on the XTL patches. Those abilities only come with the HD 500(X) and HD PRO(X) units with up to date firmware.

If you just use 1/4" guitar cable between your JTV and XTL, X3L, HD500(X) or HD PRO(X) guitar input -- none of that works, and you need to use the battery in your JTV. VDI is very desirable, just for that.... no battery.....

I don't use the guitar knobs set as FX controllers, but I do set up patches with alternate tunings. A work around for the XTL/X3L generation for that is to set up ALT tuned patches and store them in your CUSTOM banks on the JTV, then set the XTL patch to choose the appropriate CUSTOM bank patch -- I did that with my first Variax 300 and my XTL, then X3L.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Steve --

That was not my experience with it.... Well not with the X3L, at least. My XTL was fried and replaced by my X3L in 2009 before I got my first JTV -- the 59 in 2011. I used (and still use) my mags probably 90% of the time, and the X3L handled them fine via the VDI.

Thing that I really like about the 500(X) is that it remembers your model/mag status at the time of saving a patch, so if I save a 500(X) patch with the mags on, it turns the mags on when I hit that patch, or if I save a JTV model with the patch, it turns that one for that patch. That was a pleasant surprise when I made the move from the X3L to the 500. That and saving special tunings with the patch.

Anyway, I would expect when he turns off the JTV model with the model knob, he'll get the mags via VDI. Won't be able to have a mix of mags & model with dual path (I don't use that), and probably won't be able to use HD Edit via the VDI/XTL, he will have to resort to using the USB interface that comes with the JTV for any JTV model tweaking. Things are definitely better using the 500(X), but he can do it with the XTL, just like using the 1/4" with models on or off, but he'll get guitar power and model switching.

Dave

Right okay,... please bear with here as this is a new subject entirely.

Hypothetically,...

JTV plugged into XTL via VDI.

Different models from guitar will work?

Tunings set in the guitar will work?

Is it more the case that the pedal board itself does not hold the tunings information, and therefore can not communicate tuning changes back to the guitar? (in reading up I notice a mention of that it will change the models,... but not tunings.)

I'm guessing that the patches on the pedalboard can communicate and store models, but not the tunings.

Naturally from a live point of view I can understand that the ability to have tunings changes on the floor would be most ideal.

Sorry if this sounds like torture to you guys,.... it's just a not knowing thing.

Oh and by the way,... when you guys refer to "mags", what is that? haha.

Just for random response.

Thanks for your help guys. 

Also,... my JTV-89F Arrived yesterday,... first outing tonight at rehearsal,... so far,... utterly astounding guitar! The guitar does pretty much I expected and hoped it would do.

Anyway,... gotta dash n get some setups configured and loaded for later on it!

Thus far, jacked in through normal guitar cable suits fine,... PODHD 500X will be my next port of call though I reckon,...