Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 burn up

wdebona

Hello everybody,

can the bias not calibated at 25mV burn up the electronic card control on DT25?

I changer the power valves EL84 in January and used my head for 4 months without problems...

Last week, during a jam session, I lost my DT head...

Thanks for your feedback!

W

Hello everybody,

can the bias not calibated at 25mV burn up the electronic card control on DT25?

I changer the power valves EL84 in January and used my head for 4 months without problems...

Last week, during a jam session, I lost my DT head...

Thanks for your feedback!

W

Yes, that is possible.  Whenever you change tubes you must bias properly.  Other things could cause your amp to quit too, however.  Did you check all the fuses?  Did the tubes melt down?

Yes, I replaced the tubes and calibrated the bias aroud 24.3mV.

I used the amp for more than four months without any problems.

The tubes are high quality and matched pairs.

The fuses did not protect the electronic card.

The tubes still ok....

Really strange...

W

Yes, I replaced the tubes and calibrated the bias aroud 24.3mV.

I used the amp for more than four months without any problems.

The tubes are high quality and matched pairs.

The fuses did not protect the electronic card.

The tubes still ok....

Really strange...

W

Sounds like the weakness is in the card itself, uuuughhh. I realize you've got a DT25 but everytime I've had issues with my DT50HD before I did anything else I checked all the fuses, 4 buss fuses total, they always tested good with an ohm meter too. Anyway mine is on the way back to the tech dept as we speak.

I'm thinking that the problem is not the bias but the over temperature...

:(

I'm not thinking the temp is the issue because the last time I got it back from Line 6 it never worked, lol, not a peep. The particular one I've got has been back to them 3 times in 3 months. There's something going on with mine and I've got hard time believing it's tubes, fuses or the normal issues associated with a tube amp. Recently, someone here posted how he fixed his DT50 and part of the solution was to re-solder a trace on one of the boards which is more evidence in the area of board issues. He had other issues, I recall included a capacitor, etc. Things always break at the weakest link.

Check out RPascarella 's thread. Here's a link to the post I'm referring too >> http://line6.com/support/topic/10123-dead-dt50-repair-fun/?p=96518

The particular one I've got has been back to them 3 times in 3 months.

Hey Brazzy,

What is Line6's resolution for your amp? Other posts indicate they are not making the DT50s anymore. Are they going to mod a Euro DT50 and swap it for yours? Three strikes and you would think it was out!

Thanks for your feedback and for the link!

;-)

Your Welcome, I hope you get your working again.

I recall this with mine....I got it as a gift, I needed to learn how to use it which took a-lot of reading before even getting to the point of powering it up for any length of time, I also had an HD500 previous to the DT50 and was learning how to use it, I also was learning how to play guitar for the fist time. Add all those things up and I had the DT50 for months before really getting to use it. When I finally started to really use the DT50 it was 2-4 hours here and there. After about 4 months of this it started to give problems with sound just dropping out, then coming back after cooling. Went back and fourth like this for a few days and finally didn't work at all. I learned what to do with the simple things like fuses, which checked good and so I replaced the tubes and it worked long enough to bias them and play guitar for about 15 minutes and then the sound just faded. This was when I ended up sending it back. I created a thread on it in an effort to document my experience.

Hey Brazzy,

What is Line6's resolution for your amp? Other posts indicate they are not making the DT50s anymore. Are they going to mod a Euro DT50 and swap it for yours? Three strikes and you would think it was out!

They're going to try to fix this one again and after that the staff agreed that if I have issues again they would give me the option of a Euro DT50, which they would switch out the power supply, or a U.S. DT25HD B stock.

I know they're trying to help me here and am grateful for that. I just have a difficult time believing I have gotten so many bad tubes. I at least know they replaced the main board twice and have a hard time believing I've got 3 bad boards. Lastly, I know my DT25 ext. cabinet and cable are good. I checked with an ohm meter before hooking it up every time and I've also been using it with my Jet City Picovalve for long hours for months now, I realize the Picovalve isn't a DT50 but it works great in that application.

I will do some experiment following your suggestion!

Fortunately I have mi HD 500, my POD HD pro, my Rocktron Velocity and Marshall power amp to play with my bands ;-)

I will be back on this forum once I have news.

Thanks again ;-)

• Upvote 1

They're going to try to fix this one again and after that the staff agreed that if I have issues again they would give me the option of a Euro DT50, which they would switch out the power supply, or a U.S. DT25HD B stock.

I know they're trying to help me here and am grateful for that. I just have a difficult time believing I have gotten so many bad tubes. I at least know they replaced the main board twice and have a hard time believing I've got 3 bad boards. Lastly, I know my DT25 ext. cabinet and cable are good. I checked with an ohm meter before hooking it up every time and I've also been using it with my Jet City Picovalve for long hours for months now, I realize the Picovalve isn't a DT50 but it works great in that application.

Your saga is so intense!  What's wonderful about it is that Line 6 has stood behind the amp from the get-go, even though your warranty had already run out before you ever contacted them.  I don't care what anybody's personal circumstances might be, there aren't a lot of companies that would do that!!!  What's horrific about it is, well, we all know what's so horrific about it--why TF can't they fix it?!?!?!?  I've contemplated buying another DT every day since I saw they were liquidating them, but the nirvanic allure of the gigantic price reduction is unfortunately negated by that sobering reality and what it could mean to me.  

Still, hats off to Line 6 for standing behind your amp!!!

Your saga is so intense!  What's wonderful about it is that Line 6 has stood behind the amp from the get-go, even though your warranty had already run out before you ever contacted them.  I don't care what anybody's personal circumstances might be, there aren't a lot of companies that would do that!!!  What's horrific about it is, well, we all know what's so horrific about it--why TF can't they fix it?!?!?!?  I've contemplated buying another DT every day since I saw they were liquidating them, but the nirvanic allure of the gigantic price reduction is unfortunately negated by that sobering reality and what it could mean to me.  

Still, hats off to Line 6 for standing behind your amp!!!

Your Right! I have to hand it to them 'cause everytime I let someone know of my experience I give them that credit. I truly believe they want to and are trying to help me but at the same time someone here paid full price, or close to it, for an amp that just isn't up to par for whatever reason.

Still my hats off to the guys at Line 6 in Calabasis and Line 6 in general for making it possible for me to learn guitar in a fun way. I also am still using a TonePort UX2, an X3 Pro, and a Spider Jam from 2008....oh yeah and a TonePort GX which all still work great.