Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Line 6 Spider Iv 75 With Delay / Wah Pedals

Scott89

Hey guys, I have recently purchased a Line 6 Spider IV 75. I'm now using it as a replacement of my previous amp, which is a solid state, non-modeling one. The thing is, I have tried to use a few pieces of my pedal board(which I have used before), and they just sound weird. The wah sounds ok I think, but the Boss DD-3 Digital Delay sounds distorted when I'm using it on a dirty channel. I have read before that analogue pedals don't work well with modeling amps, but shouldn't the delay just work ok? I mean it's not an overdrive pedal or something, which could affect the sound that much. There's no effects loop though, which might affect the tone, I think.
Could you guys provide me some info on this? What's your experience with Wah / Delay pedals on Line 6 Spider IVs?

Since the spider IV has no effects loop in the back, you can only plug your guitar into the effect pedal and then into the amp. This means the effect pedal goes through both the preamp and power amp sections of the amp and the sound from the effect pedal will be processed through all the settings that you have on your amp. So if you choose to use an outside delay pedal, it my might best to minimize the effects coming form the spider IV. Personally, there's a few different delays on the spider IV that sound pretty good. Do you have the matching floorboard?

post-1773609-0-03798600-1373598336_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hey, thanks for the reply. I've been experimenting with the amp and using analogue pedals. Minimizing the effects of the amp really helps a lot with the tone, but since I only have the standard double FBV switch, it's better for me to - for example create a clean/rhythm/lead channel, with the proper effects applied on each of them, and simply switch back or forth during the songs. :)

Certain FX sound best in a certain order with other FX.  If you have stompboxes, you can experiment that way to see the differences (you can also use PodFarm to try these out).   Delays and reverbs almost always sound best at the end of the FX chain, so like jbaile said, getting a clean amp sound is going to be best for using your delay pedal.  If you want more distortion, use a stompbox before the delay pedal, rather than trying to dial it in on the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Certain FX sound best in a certain order with other FX.  If you have stompboxes, you can experiment that way to see the differences (you can also use PodFarm to try these out).   Delays and reverbs almost always sound best at the end of the FX chain, so like jbaile said, getting a clean amp sound is going to be best for using your delay pedal.  If you want more distortion, use a stompbox before the delay pedal, rather than trying to dial it in on the amp.

Using the edit software, can you change the order of the effects chain on the spider IV? I haven't even tried.

Using the edit software, can you change the order of the effects chain on the spider IV? I haven't even tried.

I have not tried that either, but I don't think that this is possible.   However, it is with the full version of PodFarm.