Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Compression for modern country patches

timthompson

It depends! For the cleaner old school sound, most any stomp compressor will suffice. Just crank the compression to taste. The modern country players run so much gain that compression is not really necessary! You could use a little rack compression after the amp to even things out a bit but at gain settings like they use it probably is not necessary.

I use the Tube Compressor model on my clean country patches. I don't over do it -- don't like the sound of a compressor pumping, so keep it at or above the 50% in the default setting. I also use it to boost the signal level a bit on my 69S. On my 59, I turn down the Compressor gain - towards 3 or 4%, as it has a hotter output than the 69S. For country clean, I use the Fender amp models, mostly -- the Bassman, the Deluxe, and am really liking the new Black Panel Pete. I put the gain about half up, on he amp sim, with the Tube Compressor after the Noise Gate, then Volume Pedal to the amp. As I lean in on the volume pedal, the volume and "bite" or edge of the amp increases... Tone controls to suit your guitar, then any post-amp effects you need.

Dave