Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD Model packs with DT25

clintmartin

assuming you have a pod the new HD models will work as expected... some of the new models are not HD though... and therefore do not have preamp models or deep edit parameters...

you cannot use the new model packs with any DT amps... standalone....  (as in without an applicable pod)

Yeah, I have a HD500X. I was wondering if I could still select the amp without cabs and use the DT. I would guess the DT will recognize the selection and switch topologies accordingly? Dumb question maybe, but I want to make sure they work as expected before I buy. Which deep editing parameters are missing? Thanks.

yes... except in case you didn't know... the models in the DT do use cab models by default... although you don't have to... but it is designed to use them from an authenticity standpoint.

all of the deep edit parameters are missing on the non-HD models... they never had them....

and a few are missing on the JC120 which is an HD model... because those deep edit parameters are related to tube amps... which the JC120 was not.

They are quite versatile, both linked to an Hd500, or in 'standalone' mode. I went the DT25 route, started with one, now I've got two of the combos and one head, and two of the cabs. I recently started messing with the MIDI editing of the DT for standalone and it's quite easy! And, for what it's worth the default mic setting as loaded on the DT25 is what gets modeled for the DT's XLR out.

And, interestingly, when using the MIDI to configure the DT, you can set any of the eight presets (A I-IV and B I-IV) to different amp, cab and power amp settings, including a boost setting that defaults to "on" for most of the amps. On the DT50 that boost goes through a 12ax7 tube. On the DT25, it doesn't have the extra tube, so not sure if that boost is digital, or what.

Also when you set one of the slots, say A I to "no amp", the setting also impacts the HD500 even when linked, since when you define no amp on the POD it then defaults to the onboard DT amp. This is useful to have both POD and DT set to 'no amp' when using a JTV with the acoustic and reso models.

So your using the full amp sims even with the DT25? That would seem to double the power amp and speaker stages...power amp sim + DT power amp, speaker sim + DT speaker? I typically use the pre amp only from HD500X into DT25 and use it's real power amp and speaker...Am I understanding you guys correctly?

The non-HD amps ported over from the X3 are all full amp sims.  They include Insane, Variac, Aggro, Big Bottom...

So far I'm not getting great results with them into the DT25, but then again I didn't expect to as they are fuil models.  I want to play around with eq some more.  So far Variac and Aggro have produced the most workable resuts for me, though if I swtich from a patch with them to one of my usual patches made with an HD premap sim the difference is notable (agaiin, as it should be).

you're always using the full amps in low volume mode.... (at low volume there would be no tube breakup or much influence from the power amp anyway...)

but yeah it's perfectly acceptable to use the full amp models even at volume if that give you the sounds you want...

no rule about it really....

you do get a more authentic version of the intended amp using only the pre-amp model....

but authenticity to a specific amp isnt always the goal... the tone is the goal... in most cases.

So your using the full amp sims even with the DT25? That would seem to double the power amp and speaker stages...power amp sim + DT power amp, speaker sim + DT speaker? I typically use the pre amp only from HD500X into DT25 and use it's real power amp and speaker...Am I understanding you guys correctly?

results will vary of course... keep in mind the ported models are not HD so they do not have the same detail....

doesnt mean they aren't useful... just means that the experience might be a little different.

The non-HD amps ported over from the X3 are all full amp sims.  They include Insane, Variac, Aggro, Big Bottom...

So far I'm not getting great results with them into the DT25, but then again I didn't expect to as they are fuil models.  I want to play around with eq some more.  So far Variac and Aggro have produced the most workable resuts for me, though if I swtich from a patch with them to one of my usual patches made with an HD premap sim the difference is notable (agaiin, as it should be).

yes

hmmm. So if I use the pre-amp only into DT25 (I'm not talking about the new model packs anymore) and then use the DT direct out...it will still use the amp and cab sim for the direct out? That has been my understanding.

so I jump on it and got the model packs, What a surprise to see the only 10 of the 24 amps have a pre amp, have 2 dt 25 amp and being told that pre amp is the way to use pod 500 and dt amp,,, this suck I will most likely return it  ,, why did they do this? I will test the amps out but I have a feeling I could get any sound the new amp offer with out the up grade

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

its perfectly acceptable to use the full models with your DT amp...

+1. I generally use the "Pre" models on the HD but I've got outstanding results from the "BlackPanel Pete" which is full model. You just have to work the EQ knobs a bit more than the "pre" ones.