Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Difference Between Hd500 And Hd500x

GTLazer

......The looper in this unit is a joke, not a bonus......

If you try to use it during gigging / live play, then it certainly is disappointing. But that's not really what it is designed for. It's not meant to compete with standalone looper products. It does a couple of things well: create a simple backing loop for practicing solos (post position), and allow tone audition / tweaking while hands free (pre position).

But a live looper? Not so much.

P.S. The looper uses a bit of RAM, and almost no additional processing power. Removing the looper would do nothing in terms of increasing DSP capacity.

Didn't ask for the looper to be removed....revamped would be a better choice tho'

I didn't even buy it for the looper. When I realized it had it had a looper onboard, my reaction went from Awesome ! to Aww  S**t ! 

just sayin'....

Better check your Engineering textbooks....the amount of Ram definitely affects DSP efficiency. Everything in a Computer based device runs through memory.

It's arguable that when you get the "out of system resources" message while adding pedals to the amp/effect chain, is it CPU/DSP issue or RAM or a Combo?

• Downvote 1

the Extra dsp some time I run out , instead of buying  podx I bought a wha  and 2 eqs and guitar silencer  it working great no dps problem and sound better, so all this gear save much more dsp then buying a podx  and sound better ,, 

zack wah

mxr  6 band eq for a boost

pod 500

mrx 10 band eq

rocktron guitar silencer

the Extra dsp some time I run out , instead of buying podx I bought a wha and 2 eqs and guitar silencer it working great no dps problem and sound better, so all this gear save much more dsp then buying a podx and sound better ,,

zack wah

mxr 6 band eq for a boost

pod 500

mrx 10 band eq

rocktron guitar silencer

Did you ever get your signal chain figured out right using the noise gate pedal?

well the pedal is in for repair not sure what happen I think I bought it broken, (sucks) I am sure it will work when I get it back

I really like the 6 band eq it will act as a boost, and I will dial the ten band in for my 2 amps, a bit over kill I guess but some really good deals,  what your rig set up like?

well the pedal is in for repair not sure what happen I think I bought it broken, (sucks) I am sure it will work when I get it back

I really like the 6 band eq it will act as a boost, and I will dial the ten band in for my 2 amps, a bit over kill I guess but some really good deals, what your rig set up like?

My rig is one of my Les Pauls into my tc helicon harmony gxt>digitech iStomp>pod input>l6 link to DT25. Pretty simple.

I actually have a new pedalboard on the way so I can add my second iStomp, and either my dual OD pedal or my wah. I use one iStomp programmed as an acoustic simulator in the pod fx loop. Eliminated my need for the JTV59 which I was less than impressed with. I've tried enough guitars that I've come to realize I already own the perfect guitar for me: a Les Paul with classic 57's.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping such an old thread. But I just got the HD500X, after owning an HD500 for a few years. I thought I had read every thread on the HD500X vs the HD500, but the BIGGEST difference either wasn't covered or I somehow missed it. The X doesn't let you switch patches with the press of a single button.

The HD500 has 8 buttons plus the up/down buttons for navigating patch scenes. The top 4 toggle effects on and off. The bottom 4 switch patches. Those bottom 4 buttons are great, because midsong, by stepping on one button, you can change to a completely different sound.

The HD500X has 8 buttons. All 8 toggle effects on and off. To switch patches, you have to press one of the up/down buttons, and THEN step on one of the bottom 4 buttons. It takes 2 button presses to change patches.

That's a big difference to me. I love how easy it is to switch patches on the HD500. Who needs to toggle 8 fx on and off in a single song? I'd rather have quicker patch switching.

Is everyone else's unit like this?

Sorry for bumping such an old thread. But I just got the HD500X, after owning an HD500 for a few years. I thought I had read every thread on the HD500X vs the HD500, but the BIGGEST difference either wasn't covered or I somehow missed it. The X doesn't let you switch patches with the press of a single button.

The HD500 has 8 buttons plus the up/down buttons for navigating patch scenes. The top 4 toggle effects on and off. The bottom 4 switch patches. Those bottom 4 buttons are great, because midsong, by stepping on one button, you can change to a completely different sound.

The HD500X has 8 buttons. All 8 toggle effects on and off. To switch patches, you have to press one of the up/down buttons, and THEN step on one of the bottom 4 buttons. It takes 2 button presses to change patches.

That's a big difference to me. I love how easy it is to switch patches on the HD500. Who needs to toggle 8 fx on and off in a single song? I'd rather have quicker patch switching.

Is everyone else's unit like this?

You absolutely can switch patches with a single click. There is an option in the "settings"menu where you can switch between different footswitch modes. It can be set for either toggling fx with all 8 buttons, or having the bottom row (labeled A/B/C/D) for patch switching.

In the Settings, page 1, there is an FS Mode setting. You can choose to have the bottom row of footswitches control patch switching (FS ABCD) or FX on/off (FS 5-8).

AWESOME!

Thanks for the tip!

I will be changing that PRONTO!

!

(one more exclamation point for good measure...)

I know that you don't want this feature, but your 500 can be set the same way if you would ever want to change your mind. 

Good to know, but yeah I don't think I'll use it. It's funny that they set up the 500 and the X with different defaults in that regard.  But then again, mine is a slightly used one, so maybe the previous owner changed the setting...  I don't know; I'm just glad I can set it up to change patches instead of just toggle effects.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have a work around that allows you to change the output of an HD 500 or HD 500X from patch to patch? I'm currently running a "Line 6 Dream Rig"-(JTV into HD500 into DT25). I connect my HD500 via Line 6 Link to my DT25 Head, and I connect via XLR to the sound board. My sound man has to mute my XLR channel until I need it for acoustic guitar via JTV acoustic models. When I switch to acoustic I have to mute my head with is connected to a miked 4/12 cabinet. The sound man has to unmute my direct signal, and he has to remember to mute the signal again after I'm finished with the acoustic patch, or the levels for electric are extremely loud when sent directly through the HD 500.

I've used every version of Variax and POD since their inception. I'm a utility guy. The stuff works and sounds great if you put the time into learning how to use it. I've used their gear for over 10 years. This is the only issue I can't resolve. Any ideas?

Does anyone have a work around that allows you to change the output of an HD 500 or HD 500X from patch to patch? I'm currently running a "Line 6 Dream Rig"-(JTV into HD500 into DT25). I connect my HD500 via Line 6 Link to my DT25 Head, and I connect via XLR to the sound board. My sound man has to mute my XLR channel until I need it for acoustic guitar via JTV acoustic models. When I switch to acoustic I have to mute my head with is connected to a miked 4/12 cabinet. The sound man has to unmute my direct signal, and he has to remember to mute the signal again after I'm finished with the acoustic patch, or the levels for electric are extremely loud when sent directly through the HD 500.

I've used every version of Variax and POD since their inception. I'm a utility guy. The stuff works and sounds great if you put the time into learning how to use it. I've used their gear for over 10 years. This is the only issue I can't resolve. Any ideas?

If you're not using the effects loops on your HD500, you could set up your acoustic patches with the FX loop block at the end of the signal chain, and just use the effects send(s) as an output. It would mean you'd have go into a direct box, but most sound guys have a few laying around. If you do this, it would automatically mute the output to the DT25 (assuming you have the L6 Link connection to the DT25 set to L/R and not Amp A or B).

• Upvote 1

This helps with what I have been trying to figure out recently.

Right now I am running a JTV-89F into a 500X via VDI. Then L6 Link to a pair of DT25s. I also send the unbalanced outs to two Alto TS112As. (I always have to switch the Global Output to Studio/Direct after the DTs initialize.)

Within my acoustic patch, I have been setting Amp 1 and Amp 2 Audio to mute in POD HD500X Edit under the L6 Link box. The unbalanced outs still feed the Altos this way. When I switch back to an electric patch, (obviously that patch does not have the DTs muted) I don't always want the signal still going to the Altos. This is what I have been trying to figure out how to "fix".

I just read phil_m's response to Frankwolfe. I tried using a patch cable from the Effects Send set to Line into one of the Altos. Stuck the FX Loop in the chain and... magic! Mix set to 100% and there is no need to fuss with L6 Link muting. With a little experimentation, I could probably use the expression pedal to change the mix parameter of the effects loop (and a few other parameters) and switch between the DT25s and the Altos from within the same patch.

All I need now is to get a TRS cable that splits into two TS cables from the Effects Loop Send of the POD into both L and R Altos. 

Thank you Frankwolfe for the question and phil_m for the answer.

If you're not using the effects loops on your HD500, you could set up your acoustic patches with the FX loop block at the end of the signal chain, and just use the effects send(s) as an output. It would mean you'd have go into a direct box, but most sound guys have a few laying around. If you do this, it would automatically mute the output to the DT25 (assuming you have the L6 Link connection to the DT25 set to L/R and not Amp A or B).