Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD Edit Suggestion

titchyblackcat

I think an idea for future HD Edit that i use on my pc is to have An input and an output meter.

They don't have to be totally accurate but would be good as an indidcator.

There's a lot of people seem to be having trouble with clipping and other

unwanted noise which is all about checking your whole signal flow.

• Upvote 1

it's a good idea and probably should be more easily realizable than it would be directly on the device..

probably someone already posted something similar on line6.ideascale.com

perhaps rather than a general input and output monitoring would be even more useful to have the monitoring on each FX block (just a simple blinking light maybe), since some of them tend to clip more easily than others (like some EQs) and the bad results are not due to faithful modeling, but it's just that they can't handle more than a certain input level, and a visual aid could be useful to calibrate the settings..

There's been a thread on IdeaScale for at least two years on the subject.  Line6 is not going to implement overload indicators - nor are they going to ditch the idiotic "%" scale on parameters dealing with audio frequency.  It's possible they are out of DSP capacity or EEPROM space, but without an official response that's just speculation. 

A lot more could be done with just the edit software, including making the EQs in dB and Hz. And it can't be that hard to read the inputs and outputs of each fx block. One thing is for sure, each block has an input and output, done via software -- they aren't there magically, someone had to program the fx block structure.

But they should at least fix first what they broke since the latest updates.

• Upvote 2

I imagine also that to eventually implement a clipping indicator for each block would require that there were some sort of sensors which almost certainly there are no... but as you said it's just speculation

At the DSP level, it's all just numbers.  "Clipping" is numeric overflow (or perhaps underflow depending on the algorithm).  I'm not familiar enough with the processor Line6 uses to know whether or not it issues a hardware-level exception on math errors, but either way it should be possible to spot when it occurs.  I don't see any reason why they can't simply set a flag when the condition is encountered and wait for a convenient time to update the display.  That action absolutely does not need to be real-time synchronous with the error.  If it happened within 0.25 sec. of the event I think that would provide quite enough of a clue to the user.  But, this is beating a dead horse.  There's been no official response to the IdeaScale thread and I think it's a safe bet it won't be addressed.

• Upvote 2

Lots of DSP based music stuff has a clipping indicator.  IMO it is vital.  Clipping ruins the modeling and the sound.  I have written DSP code and I always make sure it can't clip but that is hard to do with something like a Pod.  We stack so many effects that can boost the gain and the gain of the input device can vary a lot also.  You need lots of headroom.  Headroom is always a tradeoff in a DSP design because you give up resolution when you don't use all of the digital range available.