Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Part 4 of my video series on the HD500X now uploaded. Featuring model packs

PeterJH

Hi everyone,

I've just uploaded the latest video in the series on the HD500X. I've taken a few of the new amp models in the model packs and played a few riffs with them.

I didn't add any drive pedals in front of these models. The gain that you'll hear comes from the model.

I haven't played with the global eq just yet as I haven't really found a reason to.

As usual, the unit was played straight into the mixing desk.

Hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHLHrh1NKlw

• Upvote 6

Peter, I'm curious what you did to the PV Panama amp for your sound demo. I love the model, but I've found the default settings for that amp to have a harshness that needs to be tamed. I've lowered the gain, reduced treble, and lowered presence and have a tone that I am starting to like. I tried using the PEQ and found the 80% range to be where some of the harshness lies. Just curious on others' approaches and discoveries with that particular model.

Peter, I'm curious what you did to the PV Panama amp for your sound demo. I love the model, but I've found the default settings for that amp to have a harshness that needs to be tamed. I've lowered the gain, reduced treble, and lowered presence and have a tone that I am starting to like. I tried using the PEQ and found the 80% range to be where some of the harshness lies. Just curious on others' approaches and discoveries with that particular model.

I'm absolutely loving this new amp model. I don't use EQs with it, or even any distortion in front of the amp, just a tube comp. My suggestion would be try a dual configuration, both amps with same settings, with the exception of maybe the drive and channel volume. And then just pick out a cab(s) and mic(s) combination that you like. Finally mess around with the cab DEPs.

another nice video! by the way, can you give a rundown of the rig you used to record these clips? thanks!  :)

Thanks, RyeChua.

I connected the POD via the quarter inch outputs into the Yamaha desk. The outputs from the desk went to the inputs of the sound card. I use Sonar as my DAW and that was it. My sound cards are two M Audio Delta 1010s which are getting a bit old now but still work well.

@ Alienux - Regarding the PV Panama - Not my favourite amp by a long shot. I had a band in the studio a while back where the guitar player had a 5150 and was adamant that he wanted to use it. He set his amp up and it sounded harsh and was basically a fizzy mess.

I did the best I could but I was never happy with the tone. When I tried the POD'S version it brought back memories of that recording session. I did eq the amp and also changed the cab and mic. I was quite happy with the result and quite honestly the POD version ended up sounding better than the real thing. Please bear in mind that this is just my opinion though. There are lots of users who love the amp.

I didn't do much to the other amps. I absolutely love the 2204. It hardly needed anything and sounded great right out the box.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. It was a lot of fun putting the video together.

Cheers,

Peter.

• Upvote 1

Another fine video, Peter! I look forward to trying the patches when you post them! Dave

Thanks Dave, glad you enjoyed the video.

The tones in those patches have been "worked" on a bit with regards to eq. I never used any help from "pedals" to get the drive though. The new models in the metal packs have some really nice tight gain.

One of the best amps in the Vintage pack has to be the "Black Panel Pete". The model responds just like a tube amp on the edge.

All in all it's a pretty decent "upgrade" for the Pod.