Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X (?) - coming from X3L

willc

I'm using PODs since 10 years, started with XT now STILL using my X3L with Gearbox, because later PODs are NOT downwards compatible. I play about 500 songs (cover and own) and for each song I configured at least 1 or 2 Tones (slots). With X3L - having 2 Tones in one slot - I'm using the (2nd) Expression Pedal to switch/blend between two Tones. Regarding the Models I'm using a lot of them. Besides the usual Plexi, JCM800, Fender, Boogie and other common Models etc. I'm using the Matchless D30, Angel P-Ball, Bomber X-TC, JCM-900, Silver Jubilee, Line-6 Spinal Puppet, Insane and other less common models. All-in-all a lot of work done to configure my Tones.

I had learned that with the HD Series I can NOT use my previous Tones. Additionally the model pack strategy is different.  So I'm about to switch to Kemper or AXE-II. But now I saw a Report about the HD Technology based Firehawk FX - and found all my previous Models included. However the Firehawk FX doesn't meet my requirements regarding plugs and connections etc.

Now my Question: Are there any plans for the HD 500X to offer a model pack with ALL previous X3 models - ideally with a Tone/Bundle migration utility from X3/Gearbox, which would convince me to wait.

Not that I am aware of.   The HD range has upgraded HD models of some of the X3 amps and now with the new HD bundles, it has include some requested X3 amps that were missing from the original HD line up and have now been ported to the HD platform.  I don't think they will ever offer all the X3 amps because that would duplicate some of the HD range - so why bother when you can use the HD version.  

FWIW, I moved from the X3L to the HD500x. I had the same reservations--starting over building patches is a big investment in time. So that's a given no matter which option you choose. But, it's also a good excuse to do some spring cleaning. I completely reorganized and simplified my patch structure as it had become kind of a mess.

For me, the transition was not that difficult. HD Edit felt familiar, having used GearBox--it actually felt like a better version of GearBox. You still had dual amp paths, you can assign foot switches to anything you want (don't remember X3L, but it seems like it was more limited there). Most of the amp sounds are better--I'm not opening the debate here. I never really A-B'd it cuz once I laid out the $500 for the HD, it wasn't like I was going back.

The effects that are available are greatly improved, comes from the M9-M13 multi effect unit I believe. You have a lot more options there.

For me, it was a more natural transition than Axe FX or something else...also the price point makes it doable. I sold my X3L on eBay, so I ended up only being out a few hundred bucks, net.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more of the older non-HD models make it into the new model packs, apparently

they use less DSP than the HD models, which is a good thing for those that run into the DSP wall quite often.

Maybe Line6 could offer a pack solely filled with the older models in the future ? I'm sure they'd sell well. 

But now I saw a Report about the HD Technology based Firehawk FX - and found all my previous Models included. However the Firehawk FX doesn't meet my requirements regarding plugs and connections etc.

Now my Question: Are there any plans for the HD 500X to offer a model pack with ALL previous X3 models - ideally with a Tone/Bundle migration utility from X3/Gearbox, which would convince me to wait.

I dare to say no.

Personally, I guess Line6 sees HD500X as the last one of its kind (a dead end), and the Firehawk being the new trend. As far as I could read on the forums, the Firehawk has some design issues; I imagine the future with a new model which will be an evolution of the Firehawk, equalling the HD500X in terms of connections, effectively becoming the new flagship model.

I also own a X3L which sounds amazing, and I'm not buying an HD500X, nor a Firehawk. I bet there will be a new model soon, a better Firehawk + HD500X: a true monster.

I guess Line6 sees HD500X as the last one of its kind (a dead end), and the Firehawk being the new trend.

I imagine the future with a new model which will be an evolution of the Firehawk, equalling the HD500X in terms of connections, effectively becoming the new flagship model.

The Firehawk and the HD's are two different units for two different purposes.

Its sort of like how a car manufacture makes a car and a truck, or even how someone like Jaguar can make a sports car AND a luxury car. Making one doesn't mean that they have given up on the other. 

But you are correct, technology isn't stagnant, otherwise we would all be driving 1950's station wagons. So, the new HD units will probably have more connectivity options. Just not Firehawkish. I mean, even mixing consoles can be ran remotely with your tablet, so there is no real reason why L6 shouldn't keep up with the technology. 

In fact -- I WANT to have a portable option for my unit. I hate having to carry around yet another device (a pc) on the off chance that I need to make changes. I bought my Pod so that I could quit carrying tons of stuff. I have a phone with me, it is pretty darn powerful, let me use it. 

Hey there thought I would pitch me $0.02 at you. :)

I've been using the XT/X3 line for years and like yourself have loved the models and options. I just got around to installing the HD Model packs and all in all to my ears the XT/X3 amps sound better with the HD. There are more EQ options which really open things up and the FX sound more lush.

That said I also nabbed a replacement X3L (for my dead one) as its still a metal machine.

I doubt L6 will do a full migration as the HD has so much already and the XT/X3s are non-supported legacy products. But that is all my opinion.

-Bill