Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Nasty crackle ocassionally from -59

I've been waiting a few weeks to post this issue because rehearing only once a week I was not sure where the occasional noise came from.  Usually, the rig (-59K VDI'd thru 500X, then 1/4 inch out to stereo FR amp room monitor) performs well for about the first hour, then it has a fit of noise, then nice and quiet for the last two hours. Weird. All latest firmware and software.   During the noise tantrum, I'd jiggle the VDI connectors, and kick the 500X around a bit without discovering the root cause, because it would resume noise-less behavior before I finished jiggling things around  Just last nite, I switched to a plain Ethernet cable, from the OEM Line6 cable, and sure enough, the recurring snap/crackle returned about an hour into practice, then went away.  This time at least I focused on the 3-way switch on the -59 and it seemed to be the culprit, most likely.

So switch grounding or static buildup??  Anyone have this happen on a -59? I have not disassembled anything yet, but it would be nice if a switch changeout could fix this really annoying bad habit.  Otherwise love the rig. And where to get best new switch?  I'd like the change the delicate little thing anyway. I use it a lot....well I guess we all do. Heh.

warcloudwells

Are you using Mags or modeling at the time?  Ideas to try:  Try not using VDI - go directly in with the 1/4 inch signal.  Try moving the 3 way around right after powering up and see if you can get any crackle behavior.  Crackling is usually a bad connection somewhere.  I have never had anything like that with my JTV though.

Crackle update......Enjoyed band practice this week, and for first time, played only through the 1/4 cable.  At first felt weird "running on internal power", but still had two greens on battery condition after about three running hours.   Now, I've read forum some strings that suggest different model sounds thru 1/4 vs VDI.  I did think it was different, but in a pretty subtle way.  Lester was (maybe) fatter, and acoustics had (maybe) more presence.  Probably close enough to same thru 500X and FR stereo room monitor.  Didn't send to board, and not the subject of this string anyway...

No crackle occurred.  Perfect all nite. Well except for a subtle snap between models off the 3-way switch (-59).  That snap, I thought, was fixed in the latest JTV upgrade - I am running the latest, and had been pleased the snap/click had gone away earlier this year - all VDI playing.  In fact, thru 1/4 cable, I could fidget with the switch and promote more or less snap.  Can you guys get a snap/click out of the switch on a -59 via 1/4?

So I'm thinking maybe the switch is noisy. It is mechanical after all. Should I replace? The snap would be unacceptable for model changes during recording, but is probably OK for rehearsals.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

OK, another update after last night's practice.  Over the last week, I acquired a new VDI cable, which is also the subject of other current strings on this forum.  I went with the Bestronics cable, which they will custom-make to your length spec.  The 10-footer I acquired (about $25+$15 shipping) feels like a far better cable than Line6's 25-footer, great connectors, and of course the perfect length - I don't get very far from the 500X pedal.

And the good news....no crackle, same playing experience as the 1/4-inch guitar cable, and no disapproving stares from bandmates following a noise tantrum with the Line6 25-footer. I still get a subtle snap with some model changes, I think I can live with that.  The crackle sure seems fixed with the new cable.

Now I can go back to working on amp models.  The Bestronics VDI cable rocks.  Try one.