Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner over MIDI?

kquann

This question is likely only answerable by Line 6 techs but here goes: Is it possible to send the POD HD tuner read-out signal over MIDI? Currently you are only able to do this with the proprietary FBV foot-controllers, but given the very limited MIDI capabilities of the FBV shortboard mkII + POD HD Pro, it would be great to use a separate MIDI foot controller but still have access to the POD tuner read-out at your feet. I know other manufacturers like Fractal, Kemper, TC-Electronic, etc provide support for this so you can fully integrate their units with the more advanced MIDI controllers. Does Line 6 have similar support for the POD HD series?

I second this, what I would really like is an update of the Shortboard Mk2 firmware to allow showing custom text on its LCD display by sending a sysex message to its MIDI OUT port. Then I would program a VST which gets an audio signal on its input and shows a tuner on the Shortboard Mk2 by using these custom text messages. This would allow using a tuner over the USB mode of the Shortboard Mk2. Please Line6 make this possible!

This question is likely only answerable by Line 6 techs but here goes: Is it possible to send the POD HD tuner read-out signal over MIDI? Currently you are only able to do this with the proprietary FBV foot-controllers, but given the very limited MIDI capabilities of the FBV shortboard mkII + POD HD Pro, it would be great to use a separate MIDI foot controller but still have access to the POD tuner read-out at your feet. I know other manufacturers like Fractal, Kemper, TC-Electronic, etc provide support for this so you can fully integrate their units with the more advanced MIDI controllers. Does Line 6 have similar support for the POD HD series?

POD doesn't support tuner displays over MIDI. I should probably know this, but are the companies you mentioned using the same CC or SysEx messages? If there's a standard, we could maybe add support; if there's no standard, we probably wouldn't want to chase down multiple protocols for a wide variety of floor controllers.

From what I've seen, the aforementioned companies have their own SysEx specifications to display tuner information on their respective proprietary MIDI controller boards. However, they have made their SysEx specifications available to manufacturers of MIDI controllers (such as RJM, Liquid Foot, BJ devices, even DIY controllers) so that things like patch names and tuner can be displayed on 3rd party controllers. Would Line 6 support something like this? Even if the current POD HD firmware does not support SysEx data over the MIDI ports per se, would Line 6 release the specs for the RJ-45 (FBV controller) port? That could be just as useful to developers of 3rd party controller hardware without requiring additional effort on Line 6's part.