Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No sound after update to 2.62 (guitar input jack no signal)

Nestor

I have a problem which I hope someone can help to enlighten... I recently gotten a used HD500 to replace my faulty XT Live. Upon getting the HD500, I have tested it and played around with it with no problems whatsoever. Upon thinking that the unit is a keeper, I decided to reflash the memory and update it to the latest version.

That's when all the troubles came, my HD500 now has the same problems at my faulty XT Live. There is no signal going into the Guitar In jack at all.

What I have done with the HD500 is the following

• Open up Monkey with the HD500 connected
  • Update USB firmware and POD firmware to it's respective latest. 1.04 for the USB firmware and 2.62 for the Flash Memory.
  • For the Flash Momery - Monkey installed it as usual and instructed me to unplug the power cable once it has finished. At this point of time the LCD in the HD500 is still showing "Updating Flash".
  • I waited a while but didnt see anythign happening on the unit itself, so i dutifiully unplug and replugged the power cable
  • The unit booted up showing 2.62.
  • Monkey says it's successfully and shows 2.62

However, there is no sound at all coming from the unit. There is an output cable plugged in and a guitar is plugged into the guitar in cable.

I tried the following to no effect

• Do a global reset by pressing left control when powering up
  • Doing a safe mode by pressing down  when powering up and reflashing with downloaded firmware
  • Do a right control + power up (i can't seem to change the parameters for this)

I tried the following troubleshoot

• To confirm that the output jacks are okay, I plug in a mp3 player. It played through the L/R output jacks + phone jack
  • To confirm that the problem is not my guitar, I had it plug directly into a practice amp. No problems with the cable and guitar
  • To confirm that the input jack is not receiving any signal, i tried to get into tuning mode and makeing sure that guitar 1 is set as an input.
  • There is no signal received in the tuner, hence confirming that the guitar jack is spoilt

I have difficuly understanding why this is so. The input jack and be working one moment, and stopped workign the next day? Has anyone had problems with their HD500 in a similar way (no sound after the update)? This problem, is also the same problem that my XT Live is having at the moment.

Can someone help to explain what's goign on? Any help will be appreciated.

Have you tried flashing back to a previous version? Preferably prior to version 2.60. Since you've updated the usb firmware, there is no current way to downgrade that on an hd500.

Other than trying that, you've been thorough.

When you did a right + power on, what do you mean you can't change the parameters?

Have you tried flashing back to a previous version? Preferably prior to version 2.60. Since you've updated the usb firmware, there is no current way to downgrade that on an hd500.

Other than trying that, you've been thorough.

When you did a right + power on, what do you mean you can't change the parameters?

i have tried to reflash it back to 2.32 and then all the way back to 2.10, but there is no use. There is still no sound.

If i do a right + power on, I will get a list of options which i can cycle up and down and 'click in'.. but I can't seem to change what's presented in the menu? How do it do this and what should i be switching?

i didnt see you mention the pedal calibration...

I didn't do a pedal calibration because the unit it not receiving a guitar signal at all. If I go into tuning mode, there is no guitar signal detect.

Something weird happened....

This is what I did in the morning after having the unit switched off for the night

1. Plug in a 3.5mm jack into the mp3 player and retested the output jacks (L/R/Phones) with my phone playing music through. It worked as yesterday
  2. Plug in my guitar into a 6.3mm to 3.5mm convertor and plugging that straight into the mp3 jack. Sound came out as if it's a mp3 player. I am expecting this as well
  3. Plug in the guitar into the guitar-in jack. It worked unexpectedly. This wasn't working yesterday after my firmware update.
    1. Fooled around with the unit again and tried some patches
    2. Switch guitars, switch cables.. all working
    3. UBS is plugged in, 1 cable out to the amp, 1 cable in from the guitar
    4. Blissfully thought that my troubles are gone....
    5. Plug out all the cables and power it off
    6. Power it back up again
    7. No sound.. AGAIN!
  4. Switch to tuning mode, no signal again
  5. Re-did the same steps that I did this morning to no effect
  6. Back to square one

What's going on?!!

Some observations

• I refreshed the memory again last night bring it back up to 2.6.
  • The patches seems different
    • Can't find the U2 (Edge) delay patches anymore under Songs/Style
    • It shows
      • Best of HD
      • Songs/Style
      • FX Heavy
      • Bass/ACQ/VOC (This was something else before when i had it on 2.36)
      • LGlink <-> DT (There was user 1 before)
      • user 1
      • user 2
      • user 3
  • When the USB cable is plugged in, there is a hiss sound coming out from the amp. When it was working this morning, I didn't noticed the hiss sound
  • When I power up the HD500, there will be a 'crank' sound coming out of the amp. This is similar to my XT Live before. I don't think this is normal?

Should I suspect the USB cable? I tried unplugging it and turning it on, it doesn't work as well

Are most of you using Mac or Windows to update? I might re-do the flashing again with a new cable and through Windows.

Any help or suggestion is welcome.... this is upsetting...

From what I've read, most poeple have

had trouble updating while connected to multiple items.

Did you try this with POD + computer only?

i tried it once amongst the multiple re-flash attempts. Didn't seem to make a difference. I will get a new USB cable and reflash it again through Windows but i am doubting if it really makes a difference..

Question:

When updating the memory, does the unit actually say that update is successful or does it stay on with "updating flash" even after Monkey instruct to reboot it?

i tried it once amongst the multiple re-flash attempts. Didn't seem to make a difference. I will get a new USB cable and reflash it again through Windows but i am doubting if it really makes a difference..

Question:

When updating the memory, does the unit actually say that update is successful or does it stay on with "updating flash" even after Monkey instruct to reboot it?

Update:

Flashed it with a windows machine + a new cable using all ways...

1. left + bootup and flash

2. right + bootup (on Flash option) and flash

3. down + bootup (into Update Flash) and flash

All flash attempts ended up with Monkey saying that I can reboot it.. but the LCD showing "Updating Flash..." and never really showing successful. Rebooting it shows firmware has been updated on both Monkey and the unit itself.

Still.. no sound and no guitar signal. I'm quite sure now that it's not a hardware problem - because it worked this morning in all it's glory.

Can someone from Line 6 please help? I have raised a ticket... I'm short of throwing this thing into the bin

you could try the fx loop as input.

plug the guitar into fx return, put the fx loop at the end of your chain, then if sound is ok, move it left gradually and see where the sound is muted.

I tried this.. but couldn't get any sound out of it

Hey there,

For my HDBean and HD500 there was no "success" message on the units themselves, just the message in monkey. You can go to page 8 of the view menu and see the packs installed and there is another page in there which should show the firmware.

You will have to do the pedal calibration - http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/55648/

Check your input settings, make sure it is set to input1 - guitar. I had been doing some vocs and forgot and wondered why no guitar sound was coming out either.

I am hoping its just a settings issue for you.

-Bill

I can't recall there ever being a message on the unit itself saying it was successful either.

Have you tried any of the other inputs, like the mic or aux? These inputs don't work with the tuner, and if you try them, make sure you change the global input setting to whatever it is you're using.

The right + power up is a diagnostic mode. It allows pedal calibration, plus it allows you to check various other hardware on the device.

Hey there,

For my HDBean and HD500 there was no "success" message on the units themselves, just the message in monkey. You can go to page 8 of the view menu and see the packs installed and there is another page in there which should show the firmware.

You will have to do the pedal calibration - http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/55648/

Check your input settings, make sure it is set to input1 - guitar. I had been doing some vocs and forgot and wondered why no guitar sound was coming out either.

I am hoping its just a settings issue for you.

-Bill

Thanks that is good information. With this i can rule out the assumption that it's a flash that went bad. I have checked the inputs to be guitar + aux + variax.

I have not done the pedal calibration because there is no guitar signal detect at all.

I can't recall there ever being a message on the unit itself saying it was successful either.

Have you tried any of the other inputs, like the mic or aux? These inputs don't work with the tuner, and if you try them, make sure you change the global input setting to whatever it is you're using.

The right + power up is a diagnostic mode. It allows pedal calibration, plus it allows you to check various other hardware on the device.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Is there a website that shows how to use the diagnostic page? I can't seem to find any information in the Line 6 website as well...

Another update... and guess what.. the sound came back again after I switch it off for more than 5 hours. Here is what I did

1. Before thoroughly giving up on it, I did a down + power up and reflash the unit with a Windows laptop + another pair of USB cables. The unit has no other cables plug in besides power and USB during the flash
  2. After monkey's notification to unplug it, I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. The LCD was still showing "Updating Flash..." when i power it off and on again. Monkey then showed successful
  3. Unplug the USB cable, i did a left + power up
  4. Tested the unit - no sound
  5. Gave up and ready to send it in... turn it off for about 5 hours. The power socket out of which the power extension in which the power adaptor was plugged into was turned off.

After 5 hours...

1. Turn it back on after seeing BillBee's post above...
  2. Check View and the inputs
  3. Checked the patches and noticed this difference from my earlier post. It now shows
    1. Best of HD
    2. Songs/Style
    3. FX Heavy
    4. Bass/ACQ/VOC
    5. LGlink <-> DT
    6. Variax (This was not there before .. was user 1)
    7. user 1
    8. user 2

and the sound came back!

I have absolutely no idea what is happening with this unit... it works at times, and sometimes it doesn't. It is definitely not a hardware problem.

Observations:

• I was not able to do a pedal calbration of 0-255. I get funny results, like 34-255 or 9-255 or something like this. Anyone knows why?

I always follow this update procedure for the POD HD devices and have never had any real problems with it:

1) before updating, use the Edit program to back up any setlists and/or presets you want to restore later.

2) run Line 6 Monkey with the Pod HD connected via USB.

- select the firmware to install or reinstall

- when prompted, choose to replace the existing presets

- when prompted, restart the device (there is no 'success' indicator).

3) perform a global parameters reset

4) recalibrate the pedal

5) use the editor to restore any setlists/presets saved in step #1.

6) change any global parameters you want from their defaults values. In your case make sure the Inputs are set to Preset, not Global.

Note that step #3 renames the setlists to match the factory presets. If you don't do this you won't see any new setlists names (e.g. the Variax setlist that was introduced with v2.6).

Try the above sequence and let us know the result. This way we can be sure we're starting to diagnose from a known state.

When you do the pedal calibration - for "heel down" try to leave a tiny tiny bit of downtravel left (ie: not flush) - I have gotten the 3 - 255 and 13 - 255 etc... and the wee gap took care of it for me.

-B

I always follow this update procedure for the POD HD devices and have never had any real problems with it:

1) before updating, use the Edit program to back up any setlists and/or presets you want to restore later.

2) run Line 6 Monkey with the Pod HD connected via USB.

- select the firmware to install or reinstall

- when prompted, choose to replace the existing presets

- when prompted, restart the device (there is no 'success' indicator).

3) perform a global parameters reset

4) recalibrate the pedal

5) use the editor to restore any setlists/presets saved in step #1.

6) change any global parameters you want from their defaults values. In your case make sure the Inputs are set to Preset, not Global.

Note that step #3 renames the setlists to match the factory presets. If you don't do this you won't see any new setlists names (e.g. the Variax setlist that was introduced with v2.6).

Try the above sequence and let us know the result. This way we can be sure we're starting to diagnose from a known state.

Thanks. As this is 'new' set. I didn't have to backup any presets. I followed the rest of the steps you mentioned except for re-calibration of the pedal, as I wanted to narrow it down to just having sound first...

Your note of the setlist renaming from global reset explains why I am now seeing differences in the patches where I have not seen them before. So this makes sense as well...

To date, I can draw a few conclusions from my very painful troubleshooting process...

1. It's not a hardware failure and there is no hardware fault with the unit
  2. The firmware is flashed correctly
  3. There is nothing wrong/no difference with flashing it from Mac or Windows
  4. Global reset is done properly and the patches are now correctly named
  5. There is nothing wrong with the input setting under View
  6. There is nothing wrong with my guitars or cables
  7. There is nothing wrong with the output jacks

The consistent failure is with the intermittent input jack having no signal when it is supposed to....

That draws me to one more hypothesis... Because it worked this morning after 5-6 hours of no power up, and then again earlier after 5 hours of no power up.... I am now guessing the problem to be with the power adaptor instead. Are there reported incidents of power supply causing problems with the unit?

I have it connected to a power extension with a 2 pin plug (where I live most electrical plugs are with 3 pins).

I have turned everything off and will try again after some hours, maybe tomorrow morning to see if it works again.....

When you do the pedal calibration - for "heel down" try to leave a tiny tiny bit of downtravel left (ie: not flush) - I have gotten the 3 - 255 and 13 - 255 etc... and the wee gap took care of it for me.

-B

Thanks a lot. i will try this once I get pass this problem I have!

I find on my hd500x, when I recalibrate the pedal, it sometimes takes multiple tries, usually with results of 30 or slightly more for a minimum, but eventually it succeeds. Try very slightly tightening the allen bolt so the pedal won't flop down somewhat by its own weight.

For the diagnostic mode, use the up/down arrow to select what you want to test, then hit the view button. FLASH and SDRAM are the only two that don't require any other further action after pressing the view button. It will go back to the diagnostic listing screen, with a P after the thing you just tested. Buttons, pots, and encoders allow you to make sure all the buttons, pots, and encoders are functioning.

Have you tried wiggling the cable attached to the guitar input? Possible intermittent connection?

I find on my hd500x, when I recalibrate the pedal, it sometimes takes multiple tries, usually with results of 30 or slightly more for a minimum, but eventually it succeeds. Try very slightly tightening the allen bolt so the pedal won't flop down somewhat by its own weight.

For the diagnostic mode, use the up/down arrow to select what you want to test, then hit the view button. FLASH and SDRAM are the only two that don't require any other further action after pressing the view button. It will go back to the diagnostic listing screen, with a P after the thing you just tested. Buttons, pots, and encoders allow you to make sure all the buttons, pots, and encoders are functioning.

Have you tried wiggling the cable attached to the guitar input? Possible intermittent connection?

Intermittent connection or loose cable was the first thing I suspected... not in this case.. I noticed there is an option for Jacks, but there's nothing to adjust there?

.... I am now guessing the problem to be with the power adaptor instead. Are there reported incidents of power supply causing problems with the unit?

Yes. That was actually going to be my next suggestion. If you can get your hands on a replacement power adapter try it. Just make sure it conforms exactly to these specs:

http://store.line6.com/accessories/power/dc-3g-power-supply.html

Note especially that this is a DC supply; do not use AC.

Yes. That was actual...

Note especially that this is a DC supply; do not use AC.

sorry whatndo you mean do not use AC? My country uses ac power... so the power adaptors that came with it ought to be ac too.

That's OK; the power supply converts your household A/C into D/C to power the HD device. What I mean is do not use an A/C power adapter/supply directly connected to the Pod HD.

Plugged it in the first thing in the morning after not powering up for the night. No sound... I'm really quite lost on what happening.

Anymore advices? I happen to have 2 original adaptors... I'll switch it over to the other 3 pin adaptor straight into a wall socket this evening after I'm back from work. However the last time I did that it was not working as well...

I have a gig this Friday and is running out of time... This is upsetting...

If the problem persists with a different external power supply I would open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 tech support.

i have raised the request ticket but have not heard back yet... fingers cross for my evening test

i have raised the request ticket but have not heard back yet... fingers cross for my evening test

Didn't work... Different adaptor plugged straight into the wall. Seems like I'll have to bring it into the local distributor and hope they can troubleshoot or service it.

Line 6 hasn't responded to my ticket yet!

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I am also facing the same issue, this only happened after the firmware upgrade to 2.62, untill this afternoon everything was working just great...

Have done all the above, have noted a few things strange though. My USB firware (though after upgrading to 1.04) shows V0.00 in the system i/o settings. Then i reinstalled it again to 1.4 (via monkey, strangely in monkey it shows as 1.4 version installed in POD HD) ...it shows for sometime and then vanish back to V0.00 after a couple of system reboots. This I think was one of the reasons i could not rollback to lower versions of Firmware. It kept giving the error Error 80007211, where it said it couldnt communicate with the device, or the device was not responding. I just cannot rollback to earlier version now (have tried it via monkey and manually selecting the files as well)

I checked the forum to rollback USB firmware, but it seems there is no option to do so (please correct my understanding if not so). My Flash firmware version shows 2.62 whereas it never showed me a message that it was sucessfully upgraded.

The other thing i noticed is after rebooting to global preset reset, it shows son of plexi patch, it allows me to edit it, but as soon as i hit any button in the lower row (FS5 to Tap Tempo) the unit FREEZES (HANGS) and then i am not able to anything other than reboot.

As a part of what has been recommended above, i have also tried to install/reinstall Monkey and other Drivers a couple of times, with no sucess to either sound coming from the unit or abe able to rollback to lower versions of firmware. I have done global preset reset and all the steps that have been mentioned above. The expression pedal calibration does not work for me (right arrow and power button) the value just sits to 0 even though i rock the pedal.

The power adapter and the USB cable cannot be an issue as my laptop detects Line 6 as a digital audio interface as soon as i connnect it.

I Need HELP !!!!!! I have a gig coming up and cannot afford to lose it ...i have no back up :( :( :( :( and i am terribly upset because of this issue.

Need help!!!! Is there an option to wipe everything damn thing and start new???

Something weird happened....

This is what I did in the morning after having the unit switched off for the night

1. Plug in a 3.5mm jack into the mp3 player and retested the output jacks (L/R/Phones) with my phone playing music through. It worked as yesterday
  2. Plug in my guitar into a 6.3mm to 3.5mm convertor and plugging that straight into the mp3 jack. Sound came out as if it's a mp3 player. I am expecting this as well
  3. Plug in the guitar into the guitar-in jack. It worked unexpectedly. This wasn't working yesterday after my firmware update.
    1. Fooled around with the unit again and tried some patches
    2. Switch guitars, switch cables.. all working
    3. UBS is plugged in, 1 cable out to the amp, 1 cable in from the guitar
    4. Blissfully thought that my troubles are gone....
    5. Plug out all the cables and power it off
    6. Power it back up again
    7. No sound.. AGAIN!
  4. Switch to tuning mode, no signal again
  5. Re-did the same steps that I did this morning to no effect
  6. Back to square one

What's going on?!!

Some observations

• I refreshed the memory again last night bring it back up to 2.6.
  • The patches seems different
    • Can't find the U2 (Edge) delay patches anymore under Songs/Style
    • It shows
      • Best of HD
      • Songs/Style
      • FX Heavy
      • Bass/ACQ/VOC (This was something else before when i had it on 2.36)
      • LGlink <-> DT (There was user 1 before)
      • user 1
      • user 2
      • user 3
  • When the USB cable is plugged in, there is a hiss sound coming out from the amp. When it was working this morning, I didn't noticed the hiss sound
  • When I power up the HD500, there will be a 'crank' sound coming out of the amp. This is similar to my XT Live before. I don't think this is normal?

Should I suspect the USB cable? I tried unplugging it and turning it on, it doesn't work as well

Are most of you using Mac or Windows to update? I might re-do the flashing again with a new cable and through Windows.

Any help or suggestion is welcome.... this is upsetting...

Yes i have noticed the same thing... have you noticed that under the preset list L6link <--> DT, it lists your user patches(Earlier, i had named this setlist with my name), not it shows L6link<-->DT. This should have been ideally erased for myself, as while installing the firmware i didnot want to have my patches stored.

Did you try hiting any button FS5 to Tap Tempo .... does your unit freeze??

If the problem persists with a different external power supply I would open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 tech support.

Hi Uber Guru,

I have been facing the same issue, request you to please help us !!!!! Its very frustrating and annoying ...upset about the whole issue.

Please help!!!!!!

I believe that error code indicates a problem with the USB communication between your POD and the computer. I would try reinstalling the firmware using different USB ports on your a computer until the installation completes with no error message.

I believe that error code indicates a problem with the USB communication between your POD and the computer. I would try reinstalling the firmware using different USB ports on your a computer until the installation completes with no error message.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind reply.

Yes i tried doing that a couple of times.... But i am not able to complete the installation.... its gives me the same error before the installation finishes. The other thing as i had noticed which i reported earlier as well ...my USB Firmware keeps going back to V0.00 (Atleast thats what the display shows in system i/o).

Could this be the issue becuase of which my USB communication with POD is a failure. How do we fix that?

• 1 year later...

The same thing has now happened to me. What was the resolution?

Check your computer/laptop power supply, I figured out that could also contribute to the issue I had. After couple of unsuccessful attempts and the method of isolation, I was able to complete the setup. Try upgrading it via different laptop or by removing the power supply.