Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has anyone looked at changing the neck?

waymda

As per the title.

I'm in Australia and they're not here yet.

I currently have a JTV-59.

Whilst I love what it can do I really, really miss my Fender feel - long time (30+ years) strat and tele tragic.

What draws me to the standard is the control layout and strat shape - but not so much the rosewood fingerboard and fret size.

My ideal would be a slab like tele maple neck with jumbo frets.  Yep I apply way to much sting pressure.

So, whats the prognosis?  Any chance I make my dream rig run with my dream guitar?  (currently line 6 end-to-end)

If the neck pocket and neck dimensions are the same, then you can deal with the different screw pattern.  That is the way it is with the other Variax models.  The 69S and the 500 and the 600 can use a Strat neck with minimal modification. (fill the holes and drill new ones in the correct locations.)

The 69 has a thick neck. That might make you happy.

Maybe - but I really don't like the electronics layout, which is why I didn't pursue one initially.  It just looks wrong to me having the tuning knob on the upper bout.

Maybe - but I really don't like the electronics layout, which is why I didn't pursue one initially.  It just looks wrong to me having the tuning knob on the upper bout.

That's why I got my 69 in black as it makes it a lot less noticeable. :D

Here in the US dealers like Stewmac offer necks without the holes drilled. Probably Warmoth does as well I'm sure. A bit more expensive and tons of choices and everyone seems to agree on their quality. Stewmacs offerings are extremely modest by comparison and about a $100-150 cheaper than Warmoth's in stock supply of necks but people give them good reviews as well.

I guess the bigeest issue is cost of shipping to Australia.

Has anyone been (would they be?) game enough to pull the neck off and measure the pocket?

And thanks for the Stewmac info - freights no so bad for light things so long as you're prepared to wait.