Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using a buffer pedal with Pod HD500x?

OasisMcFly

I recently have been expanding my pedal collection to use in conjunction with my pod. One of my recently acquired pedals is an overdrive with a buffered bypass. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole buffer vs true bypass debate, but I never see anyone mention it in practical terms with how it related to using a pod specifically. I really love the sound of the pedal, but I wasn't sure how using the buffer affects the Pod, if it affects it at all. Specifically I am looking at some configuration options, i.e. how best to set up my pod settings with the buffered pedal in mind. Here are a few questions I have specifically, but I would appreciate any general advice that is related that you can provide. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

1. I plan to use the pedal first in the chain, but would it be better to go between the guitar and the pod, or should I put it in the fx loop and set the fx loop as the first effect in the chain?

2. How does the Guitar In-Z setting affect this? My basic understanding leads me to think this setting is serving the same function as a buffer, since it basically controls the impedance level of the guitar. If this is acting as a buffer, then how would it interact with the buffer in the overdrive pedal? Does one negate or nullify the other? Does this have a bearing on the order from question 1?

3. In my setup, I usually send the signal out mono XLR to the PA, but occasionally have to send out mono 1/4 to a PA. Does the pod buffer those signals, or would it help to add a buffer after the pod? Or would the buffer in the overdrive pedal be enough?

There is a lot of misunderstanding and confusion surrounding what buffers actually do. All a buffer is a circuit that makes it so that whatever is happening at the input is exactly the same at the output. Theoretically, a well-designed buffer should be more transparent than a true bypass pedal. The HD500X is using some sort of buffer circuit, so it really shouldn't make a huge difference where you put the pedal in the chain as far as tone loss. Using the HD500X's effects loop can introduce a small volume drop if you aren't careful in how you set it up.

The HD's input Z setting is simply changing the impedance of its guitar input. It doesn't affect the impedance of the guitar - that's whatever your pickups are. It does affect how your pickups interact with the HD's input, though. So putting a pedal in between your guitar and the input would mean that you would lose that interaction. The impedance difference would be between the pedal's output and the 500X's input.

The HD's input Z setting is simply changing the impedance of its guitar input. It doesn't affect the impedance of the guitar - that's whatever your pickups are. It does affect how your pickups interact with the HD's input, though. So putting a pedal in between your guitar and the input would mean that you would lose that interaction. The impedance difference would be between the pedal's output and the 500X's input.

How does it affect? A lot, a bit?

What I find terrible it is the noise from the pedal, if you use boss ds-1, you need to use a good noise suppressor , my ns2 and pod's don't help. Maybe decimator?

if the pedal were not buffered, your guitar would see the pod input z when the pedal is off/bypassed.

since it is buffered, the guitar doesnt see the pod input z ever.

true bypass is a switch, buffer is an amp stage

i followed others advice and added a ms70 to my chain, its great in front of the pod until i go for higher gain territory.

the constant noise is really annoying.