Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic Guitar POD

lwolford

Hey everyone. I've had an idea. I use my POD HD500 as a DI box for my acoustic guitar. I don't run an amp model but use an eq and a few effects. I wonder if there would be any market for Line 6 to make a pod for acoustic guitars where they model classic acoustic guitars (d-18, d-28, etc) and then take the signal from your piezo and add these characteristics to the signal. Then the guitar would sound more like a miced guitar through the sound system with less of the piezo quack. Anyone else think this would be a good product?

Does the Variax do acoustic guitars? 

It seems to me, that the Variax would make more sense for that type of modeling than the Pod. 

What you're asking, in the way you're asking for it - taking actual acoustic signals and completely replacing them with a different acoustic signal - that isn't model tech, that's more like synth tech. 

That's how keyboards play back guitar sounds. They aren't models, they are audio files(like an mp3). 

Pianoguyy, I was thinking more of making a plugged in acoustic guitar sound more like an acoustic guitar through a microphone. I wasn't thinking of it like a synth, but then again, I was just throwing an idea out there without knowing how it would be done.

The Variax already do this with each string being modelled individually, and it works quite nicely within the restrictions of it being an electric body and the way an electric is playing being different to the way an acoustic is played.

When I say modelled we are talking about a combination of envelope, impulse response, eq and other magic on the signal from the pickup in the same way that an HD models an Amp rather than replacement with samples.

The old Variax Acoustic 700 however is an Acoustic style body with extra Acoustic models (over JTV) and doesn't have this problem quite as much.  Just wish I could find one at a reasonable price, but most people are asking £500 or more for a Variax Acoustic - the other guitarist in the band wants one too, and we can't get away visually with a JTV 69 at Acoustic gigs.