Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delay between preset changes with 150 and Shortboard MKII Foot Controller

jdavidboyd

Is there any way to speed up the delay changing channels?

The only amps I've ever had with foot pedals to change the channel were a Randall Switchmaster 120, and an ART DST-825.  The Randall was only changing between channel 1 and 2, no effects involved, and that was instantaneous.  The ART has 24 bit digital effects built in, but that too was instantaneous.

The Amplifi 150 and FBV Shortboard MKII Foot Controller are slow.  It seems like it is taking a solid second, or longer, to go from 1 preset to the next when I step on a peddle.

I'm used to being able to hit a note or chord, tap a pedal, and on the next note I'm in my new sound.

With the 150 and controller, I hit a note, tap a pedal, and in a second or so the new sound loads and plays.   

This is a huge adjustment, so I'm hoping there is some way to tweak this to be quicker.

Thanks,

Dave in Hudson, FL

I have the 150 and short board. There will always be a slight delay no matter what you do. Do to the lack of processing power I guess. But, to help speed up the process. Make sure your blue tooth/app program is off. Also if you use the same amps in A B C D of your switching this helps the speed also. I.e. Use fender twin clean in A. THEN fender twin in B with some distortion pedal added to it for dirt. This way the amps arnt reloading which takes time.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking about trying something like that.  It's the way I used to always work, have 1 amp sound, then turn effects on and off.  So you're hypothesizing that if we keep the amp the same across the pedal board bank, the loading should be much quicker.  I'll have to try that.

I'm hoping it is the kind of problem that is software fixable, so a future upgrade can resolve the problem, once Line 6 is made aware of it (as if no one ever noticed).    Maybe that's why people have said it's a great practice amp, but not perfect for gigging.

Line6 confirmed!

Richard, Thanks for your ticket inquiry and comments. After testing the unit here in the support office, we found this is an aspect of the unit's processing speed, and cannot be changed. We apologize if you're having issues with live situations, and will let you know if any solutions are reached in the future. We appreciate your business and hope you'll continue to enjoy Line 6 products. Kind regards,Jason-Line 6 support

Well.  I'll just have to train myself to switch right before I need to.

I should kick myself.  I had an intuition that it might switch slow, and tried to find out a few times about delay time, but never followed up on it.  I still like it, just don't like that one 'feature'.

Richard,

We are sorry you're not satisfied with your product's performance. That issue has been reported to product management, but I have no other information on when an update that resolves the issue will come. Feel free to periodically check our website for updates though.

Kind regards,

Jason-Line 6 support

• 3 months later...

"Richard, Thanks for your ticket inquiry and comments. After testing the unit here in the support office, we found this is an aspect of the unit's processing speed, and cannot be changed. We apologize if you're having issues with live situations, and will let you know if any solutions are reached in the future. We appreciate your business and hope you'll continue to enjoy Line 6 products. Kind regards,Jason-Line 6 support"

Hi FacePush! I believe this is not a cable issue! They did test the unit on their end.

AMPLIFI is not READY for ROCKNROLL! In my opinion!

Now how can I sell this POS!

"Richard, Thanks for your ticket inquiry and comments. After testing the unit here in the support office, we found this is an aspect of the unit's processing speed, and cannot be changed. We apologize if you're having issues with live situations, and will let you know if any solutions are reached in the future. We appreciate your business and hope you'll continue to enjoy Line 6 products. Kind regards,Jason-Line 6 support"
Hi FacePush! I believe this is not a cable issue! They did test the unit on their end. AMPLIFI is not READY for ROCKNROLL! In my opinion! Now how can I sell this POS!

Not much point in selling it.  For $500 it's something you can use for practice, playing music (I use the aux-in from the headphone jack on my iPhone), or for playing backing tracks while you jam out on your other equipment.  Let's say you're trying to work out a particular solo.  You can get the sound on the Amplifi "close enough" and use that for practice work (the 1/2 speed feature comes in handy).  Why put the wear & tear on $3000 worth of tube amps and pedals?  It just doesn't seem worth it to sell it, what will you get $250 - $300 if you're lucky?  Worth much more than that as a practice tool and for playing music.  I was as pissed as anyone with the whole iOS thing and the 2.10 firmware not updating correctly but now that I got it working again, there's no way I'd sell this thing for $250.  $500 new you can't beat it for what it does.  You'd need $3000 - $5000 worth of equipment just to start getting the "read deal" version of what this amp can do. 

What pisses me off is on line6 website it says  Compatible with Line 6 FBV MkII Foot Controllers"! Its been a year that AMPLIFI was out on the market and they did not notice it? They didn't test it very well. Or maybe they did but cannot fixed it or maybe they thought nobody will noticed it!

Its just unfair!
Hi Moderato!
Do you have FBV MKII? The delay is just annoying(2 secs). How can I practice precisely and enjoy playing with my band?

What pisses me off is on line6 website it says  Compatible with Line 6 FBV MkII Foot Controllers"! Its been a year that AMPLIFI was out on the market and they did not notice it? They didn't test it very well. Or maybe they did but cannot fixed it or maybe they thought nobody will noticed it!

Its just unfair!

Hi Moderato!

Do you have FBV MKII? The delay is just annoying(2 secs). How can I practice precisely and enjoy playing with my band

Without repeating everything I said in my previous post, the bottom line for me is this device is just for having fun and practicing.  If you want to get serious about playing with your band then you need to invest more in your gear.  Playing music is expensive, doesn't matter what instrument you play it costs $$$$$.  Look into the costs associated with playing other instruments.  Look at the cost of getting all the gear the Amplifi is modeling and compare that to what the Amplifi costs.  If you had a Helix and a SoundSource speaker @ $2500 then I'd say you'd have a legitimate complaint but to expect a $500 device to do it all, just isn't happening, I don't care how it's marketed or what it says on the box.  There's no way around it, with this or anything else, quality costs money and that's just the way it is.  You get what you pay for.  I'm not trying to lecture you, I'm just trying give you some perspective so hopefully you can feel better about the situation.  Take myself for example, I'm not satisfied with the Amplifi so I started shopping and realized I need $2500 - $5000 worth of gear to do what I want to do.  The Amplifi @ $500 doesn't look so bad to me anymore.  lol   Like I said, use it for a practice tool when you upgrade your gear later on, put the wear and tear and drop your beer on the Amplifi and save the good gear for when it counts.  

Its just unfair!

Hi Moderato!

Do you have FBV MKII? The delay is just annoying(2 secs). How can I practice precisely and enjoy playing with my band?

I am not sure why you are seeing a 2 sec lag. I do have the FBV MKII and switching between any of the presets A, B, C, D are instantaneous. Even going between Banks is fast once you select it. It sounds to me like you have another issue.

"I am not sure why you are seeing a 2 sec lag. I do have the FBV MKII and switching between any of the presets A, B, C, D are instantaneous. Even going between Banks is fast once you select it. It sounds to me like you have another issue."

Hi sdzimmerman!

Line6 confirmed it in this thread on my open ticket! I believe even the amplifi FX100 is experiencing it also.

I am not sure why you are seeing a 2 sec lag. I do have the FBV MKII and switching between any of the presets A, B, C, D are instantaneous. Even going between Banks is fast once you select it. It sounds to me like you have another issue.

How long is your ethernet cable?  I'm using the one Line 6 supplied, and I have a 1 second delay between each and every preset.  

For example, say I'm playing at a slow beat, 1 beat per second.  I hit a chord on second #1, a chord on second #2 and tap the pedal at the same time for the next preset, a chord on second #3, and sometime between the tap and second #4, the sound changes.

The only reliable way I've found to play with this is to either pick a sound and stick with it for the entire song, or change, and lay out for 2 seconds.

Jdavidboyd,

In the post above yours I stated it's a 8' Cat6e cable.

Ah, thanks.  One of these days I'll learn to use my eyes for something other than just keeping my brain from leaking out of my skull!   :)

Have you tried, or could you try, with the cable that came with it, and see what happens?  I'd be amazed if that were the problem.  If it is verified, you'll make many people very happy!

Ah, thanks.  One of these days I'll learn to use my eyes for something other than just keeping my brain from leaking out of my skull!   :)

Have you tried, or could you try, with the cable that came with it, and see what happens?  I'd be amazed if that were the problem.  If it is verified, you'll make many people very happy!

I am not sure where I put the original cable but I will try and find it, The good new is I am a senior IT engineer and have a ton of Cat5 and Cat6 cables of various lengths that I can test with.

I will test them tonight after work and let you know the results.

I am not sure where I put the original cable but I will try and find it, The good new is I am a senior IT engineer and have a ton of Cat5 and Cat6 cables of various lengths that I can test with.

I will test them tonight after work and let you know the results.

Thanks so much.  Can't wait to here....

OK, I decided to test during my lunch break. Still not seeing the 2 second delay issue. The only problem I encountered was with a 50'+ Cat5 (Not Cat5e) cable where the diplay would not change nor would the lights on the A/B/C/D buttons. I also found the original cable and still no issue.

At most I see a lag in the milliseconds (lets say a half a second worse case) but nothing I wouldn't expect when something that is sending MIDI change data.  

I was wondering if there where different rev boards but I don't see anything that would indicate any reference to a revision number on the board or the original box. I purchased mine in the middle of February this year along with the amp. I am running flash memory version 1.10 on the FBV which is the latest.

Sorry wish I had better news.  

At most I see a lag in the milliseconds (lets say a half a second worse case) but nothing I wouldn't expect when something that is sending MIDI change data.  

My experience is the same.  I'm using a 6 foot Cat5e cable.  The delay is a few milliseconds at the most.

The only other thing I could add is that there is sometimes a slightly longer delay (still less than 2 seconds as claimed) when changing tones while the app is open on my iPad.

Maybe I'm inducing eddy currents or something into my cable.  I have it looped and tied behind my amp, with the footboard right in front of the amp.   

Huh, I'm about out of ideas.  Maybe I'll try a 5 ft cable I have at home, and just stretch it out and see what happens.

Do y'all have the network cable crossing the power cord, or going nowhere near it?

Just grasping at straws now.

Perhaps not.  I purchased my amp and footboard last February, I think, and updated to all the lastest drivers for each at that time.  Haven't hooked it back up to my laptop since then.  I'll check this weekend and see if anything newer is.

I'm going to feel stupid if a software update fixes it....  And all this time I've been living with it.

I upgraded to the latest firmware for the amp.  And I dug a 6 foot ethernet cable out of my 'extras' box.   Delay I get now is about 1/3 second, roughly.  I'm very happy with that.

Don't know at the moment if it is the software update (probably not), or the short cable (probably). I had the old cable coiled up in a tight loop, twist tied together, and hanging right next to the power line.

I'll play around it with it later and determine which it was that fixed it, but I don't really care at the moment.  I can use it the way I want to now, so I'm happy.  

Dave

I have had the amplify 150 since it was introduced. As everyone mostly on this forum have found out is this unit with its limited processing power and the like, is slow. It was not designed for stage use per say even though I have used it that way. Switching presets is very slow compared to other effect floor models i.e. Helix, hd500, etc. also, the more you have hooked up to your amplify, Bluetooth, usb computer the slower it is in switching. If you unhook all these it will speed up preset switching. Still it's does suck that you have to time your switches. I would of thought better of a line 6 product. None the less, I still like to use it for streaming music and jamming.

I have had the amplify 150 since it was introduced. As everyone mostly on this forum have found out is this unit with its limited processing power and the like, is slow. It was not designed for stage use per say even though I have used it that way. Switching presets is very slow compared to other effect floor models i.e. Helix, hd500, etc. also, the more you have hooked up to your amplify, Bluetooth, usb computer the slower it is in switching. If you unhook all these it will speed up preset switching. Still it's does suck that you have to time your switches. I would of thought better of a line 6 product. None the less, I still like to use it for streaming music and jamming.

I maintain that when you factor in the very affordable price tag compared to getting tons of gear, it's a good deal, and with the latest updates to the firmware, app and getting the USB cable to update from the PC, it's been working great.  If you're a serious musician then you need to pony up some bucks for professional equipment, just the way it is. 

Moderato, My post was just to tell everyone this is just a fun amp to use outside of gigging. And yes I have ponied up per say, I have dt50 hd509 X. Oh also the helix. Any questions?

What are you plugging the Helix into and how's it been working out?  Sorry, I didn't mean my reply personally, it's just my feelings on it.  I've been frustrated with the Amplifi myself and I thought about returning it many times but to me it's so cheap that I can't even justify the trouble.  At a minimum I can use it for practicing and music playback.  I am curious about your experience with the Helix, also would like to know your experience and feelings on other gear such as amps/pedals as it pertains to your experience with Helix.  Thanks. 

Yeah I wish the amplify was faster switching and some other things. But, for playing music thru and just jam'n it great. The helix is run thru for now a mackie 350. Will be getting atomic CLR neo in the future. It sounds killer. And programing it tone wise is a snap if you have had the amplify via iPad. But you do get spoiled with the remote amplify app. I wish the helix was Bluetooth. I run the helix at church and in a cover band. But the blues band I'm in I run pedals into a tube amp.

Yeah I wish the amplify was faster switching and some other things. But, for playing music thru and just jam'n it great. The helix is run thru for now a mackie 350. Will be getting atomic CLR neo in the future. It sounds killer. And programing it tone wise is a snap if you have had the amplify via iPad. But you do get spoiled with the remote amplify app. I wish the helix was Bluetooth. I run the helix at church and in a cover band. But the blues band I'm in I run pedals into a tube amp.

Cool, thanks for the input.