Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anything left to do??? USB failed after latest firmware update....

haller88

Hi I've owned my POD HD500 for 4 years and recently bought a POD HD500X. I updated the HD500X to latest firmware and loaded the modeling packs and all went well. About a month ago, I decided to update the HD500 also. The USB was the horrible four pin design but I always got the USB port to work. The flash update started and the part of the update got to the point where it asked to unplug the unit and restart.  Everything seemed great but when I plugged the unit back in - the HD500 was no longer recognized by the computer. The firmware is flashed to 2.32 but the USB reads the dreaded V0.00. I believe the USB firmware is corrupt.

I went through resetting the device by doing the hold the left arrow while powering up (losing all my settings and returning to the factory patches). I attempted to load older drivers and had no luck. I tried it on another computer and no luck recognizing the USB port. I then replaced the USB port - no luck and then with the help of a PCB board builder at work - replaced the USB chip ala the You Tube video - no luck. Windows does not recognize the USB port and states an error message that the USB port appears to be malfunctioning.

Sending the HD500 will cost about almost as much as it is worth so I am looking for any ideas before I either spend the big bucks on a bad firmware update from Line 6 (guaranteeing the last Line 6 product I buy because the update bricked a great working unit) or just forget about it and see if I can sell it on Ebay. I did get a response from Line 6 to send it back to a service center but I am pretty upset that a general firmware update following the instructions would fry the USB firmware in the process.

Any ideas would be helpful - thanks!

Did you do the reset and recalibrate? Did you unplug the USB from the computer, restart the computer then plug it back in to see if it connects? I don't know what else to ask, lol. Sounds like you know what to do. You could always call Line 6 or do a support ticket.

I can't understand why Line 6 is not allow us to download a report software that can tell what is wrong with their equipments. It should be a simple matter for such a company, surely.

Many of us have had problems during the latest upgrade/s, I had no joy with my problem either.

I have tried restarting the computer and reconnecting. I have two things left to try which have little to no hope in addressing the issue:

1. Hook to another computer - I did try to do this before replacing the USB port and the control chip - but worth a try

2. Download an old device driver (I am thinking one from last year or the previous year) and attempt to connect the device - I did see one older post where someone tried an old device driver and by some miracle it reconnected

Both are very long shots - more than likely the USB firmware on the device is corrupt from the latest firmware update procedure and since that is the only way for a layperson to connect to the HD500 - I have to send it to a service center. Since I recently started working for a hardware manufacturer - I have better insight into the equipment world - the only recourse is to have someone attach it to a test fixture and reflash the firmware to correct the USB V0.00 issue. Very frustrating...

I did contact Line 6 and they said I could send the unit in for repair at my cost - not surprising but very frustrating since the latest firmware release bricked my USB port...

I wish there was a diagnostic mode in the firmware menu you can access by pressing the right arrow at power up that allowed for a USB connection with the computer to push a firmware update on the device in the event of the a firmware update issue but it does appear that is possible...

Any other thoughts would be appreciated...

• Upvote 1

Turn off or remove all your useless anti- virus software. I have had no problems with my HD500/Variax 500/ Workbench/ HD edit etc... because I dont use any of that crap. Your computer has built in virus protection. Using any of that other stuff conflicts with it and causes all kinds of problems.Norton/ Maccafee etc... all useless snake oil. Save your money and dont use it. You dont need it. If you still have problems after trying that your computer may have viruses etc...that must be removed. line 6 software is fine.Never had any problems with any and I just did all the HD updates and added vintage model packs via my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop. Rock Solid!

• Upvote 1

I wish there was a diagnostic mode in the firmware menu you can access by pressing the right arrow at power up that allowed for a USB connection with the computer to push a firmware update on the device in the event of the a firmware update issue but it does appear that is possible...

Any other thoughts would be appreciated...

I thought it was possible to do a sort of push like that. Check with Line 6, They can answer that in a support ticket or just call. Better yet someone in the forum may help with that.

Turn off or remove all your useless anti- virus software. I have had no problems with my HD500/Variax 500/ Workbench/ HD edit etc... because I dont use any of that crap. Your computer has built in virus protection. Using any of that other stuff conflicts with it and causes all kinds of problems.Norton/ Maccafee etc... all useless snake oil. Save your money and dont use it. You dont need it. If you still have problems after trying that your computer may have viruses etc...that must be removed. line 6 software is fine.Never had any problems with any and I just did all the HD updates and added vintage model packs via my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop. Rock Solid!

Same here with the aftermarket Anti virus software. That may be blocking it. I can't say that I've issues like this when I had MacAffee (free) though. I installed everything here no problems just recently. But it still could be an issue as I think others have mentioned it in the past.

...... The USB was the horrible four pin design but I always got the USB port to work. ....

Can you actually see the four pins in the socket? You should not be able to - you should see a rectangular piece of plastic that is protecting the pins.

If you are seeing the pins your USB port is broken and needs repair. There is nothing you will be able to do to reliably without repairing the port. It's likely that an internal chip has also been fried and will need repair. Take it to an authorized Line 6 service center.

Thanks for your thoughts - in follow-up:

1. I will try to run the update with no antivirus on the computer. I had no problem updating and using the HD500 up to this release but worth a try. I did update the HD500X without any issue with Windows Defender on.

2. I have replaced the USB port and the chip (I had a PCB board builder install) -> I started with the port and then moved onto the chip. I am still getting the "damaged" USB port message in Windows - it recognizes the USB connection but can't communicate with it.

3. I will open a support ticket with Line 6 about doing a firmware push to see if I can resolve the USB V0.00 issue with another method of pushing the firmware onto the HD500

- thanks for the ideas...

Ran an old version of the software with the Antivirus turned off - no luck. I am hoping that Line 6 can help me with a way to force the USB drivers on the HD500 to get rid of V0.00 issue with the UBS firmware on the HD500 - not hopeful....

Ran an old version of the software with the Antivirus turned off - no luck. I am hoping that Line 6 can help me with a way to force the USB drivers on the HD500 to get rid of V0.00 issue with the UBS firmware on the HD500 - not hopeful....

I found the post below from the archives and If I'm reading it correctly You are starting the HD500 in safe mode by powering up holding the right Nav Pad. I suppose if you do this while your connected to your 'puters usb and running Monkey that this would close to or forcing the usb drivers. Not sure but maybe will help you a bit.

Full Thread >> http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/78396/

Re: Safe mode ... what button for what device for what firmware etc?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-15 05:47:51

Hi Jim

For the POD HD500, POD HD (bean) and POD HD Pro

• Power Up and Nav Pad Right = TEST mode and Safe Mode - used to test button and expression pedal functionality as well as to recalibrate the expression pedal.  You can avoid some flash memory update issues by updating in this mode
  • Power Up and Nav Pad Down = direct access to Flash Memory update mode - good if you need to update your flash memory and cannot access update mode in any other way
  • Power Up and Nav Pad Left = Global Parameters Reset - can get you out of a start-reboot loop if the patch you last used is corrupted because it defaults back to Set List 1 Best of HD 1A Son of Plexi - if you use this with the POD HD500 you will need to recalibrate the expression pedal and rename Set Lists 5-8 back to whatever they were named prior to resetting the Global Parameters

The POD HD300 and POD HD400 work in a different way, and not having access to one I can't be sure what the recipe is for these two units

Nick

Brazzy - that post was helpful but when I used the down button on power on - it does go into Flash Update mode but since the USB driver still shows V0.00 so Windows 7 doesn't recognize the unit. I can't push anything because the USB firmware is corrupt but Windows does recognize there is a USB device on the hub - it just doesn't know what it is. I am hoping that Line 6 support might be able to send me a program that allows for pushing the USB firmware update in Flash update mode - we will see. Thanks for everyone's help - looks like I am getting close to either fixing this or giving up but have gotten some great advice... 

Brazzy - that post was helpful but when I used the down button on power on - it does go into Flash Update mode but since the USB driver still shows V0.00 so Windows 7 doesn't recognize the unit. I can't push anything because the USB firmware is corrupt but Windows does recognize there is a USB device on the hub - it just doesn't know what it is. I am hoping that Line 6 support might be able to send me a program that allows for pushing the USB firmware update in Flash update mode - we will see. Thanks for everyone's help - looks like I am getting close to either fixing this or giving up but have gotten some great advice... 

Ok gotchya. One last thing have you tried a different USB port your computer?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/6/2015 at 8:13 AM, haller88 said:

My HD500X USB firmware shows that it is v0.00 while my unit is disconnected.

Somebody in another thread I read said this was normal behavior. 

That said, I hope your issue gets resolved. Having a bricked unit is heartbreaking.

3 hours ago, sorcerer532 said:

My HD500X USB firmware shows that it is v0.00 while my unit is disconnected.

Somebody in another thread I read said this was normal behavior

Probably was me.

My HD500 shows that that the USB firmware is v0.00 until I connect it to the computer, after which it finally shows the correct version, and continues to do so even if I disconnect it.

As soon as I turn on the POD without connecting it, the shown USB version returns to zero.

My device works fine.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips